Posted to rec.woodworking
John Flatley John Flatley is offline

Default We we make samples

You might consider putting together a full-size model
of the piece using masking tape and poster board,
illustration board or something similar. It would help
those with different visualization skills. (I've even
used cut up cardboard boxes.)

Merry Christmas!

Jack Flatley
Jacksonville, Florida

--
One consolation about memory loss in old age is that
you also forget a lot of things you didn't intend to
"Mekon" wrote in message

| "B A R R Y" wrote in message
| I'm almost done with a Mission sideboard for my
dining room. I made a
| sample door panel to practice inlaying and show my
wife inlays made of
| QSWO (like the door), cherry. and maple, and give
her the final
| choice. The practice inlays came out GREAT! I
sanded the panel,
| spray bombed it with shellac & lacquer to get a
better finished
| effect, let it dry, and brought it to her.
|
| Her: "What are those?"
| Me: "Inlays, just like the Stickley sideboard you
like"
| Her: "I really like the door better without them"
|
| So, I'll have three chamfered panels, and no
inlay... G

| I feel your pain.
|
| I find SWMBO doesn't visualise well, so despite
describing in detail what is
| to be done, unless I can do a drawing Rembrant would
have been happy with,
| she can't see it, until I've made it and then she
decides she doesn't like
| it that way, and "Wouldn't it be easier if I left
those bits off?"

| E.G. SWMBO's mother recently had a stroke, now
without getting too far into
| the debate of what I can do for my dog that I can't
do for her, her life is
| pretty damned dismal. She will never, walk, sit or
even eat again.

| She can't see her TV in two of the three positions
she spends each and every
| hour in, so I say "I'll build her a trolley that the
staff can wheel around
| to match her position." So far so good.
|
| I propose an H shaped arrangement with a double bar
in the middle between
| which is the DVD player. The TV fits into the space
above the top bar and
| corkboard covered doors close in front so pix of
friends and relatives can
| be positioned at her eye height.
|
| SWMBO sees the H frame drawing and determines
(magically without any
| reference to scale or doimensions) that it will be
too tall. I try to point
| out that, it will be as tall as she wants it but no
taller. She remains
| firm. So until I present her with a drawing which
shows the TV without the
| doors or sides projecting either side of the TV, she
is adamant that the
| unit is too tall.
|
| I give up and concede defeat.
|
| I then say, "How high from the ground do you want the
top of the TV?" That
| was a mistake.
|
| I get a very long story, with references to the
mattress, bed, rails and
| padding. None of which answers my question. I repeat
the question and get
| the same story, this time with the details in a
different order

| As Mr Smith of the TV show Lost in Space was fond of
saying "The pain... the
| pain."-
|
| At least I havn't bought the corkboard in
anticipation.