Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they suggest a
30a circuit.

Until I get around to ripping all my cables out of my work shop and redoing
them properly (I have already bought the subpanel...) I only have a 20a
circuit, so I am wondering if it actually works.

And, how do you like it in general? JDS actually said that for one machine
their 2hp would be adequate, but I figure on something like a CMS you need
all the air movement you can get.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they

suggest a
30a circuit.

"They" don't have a clue if they suggest a 20A c'bkr.

You need 30A.

Thermal/Magnetic c'bkrs are designed to operate at 80% of rating on a
continuous basis under normal ambient temperatures.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article et, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Toller wrote:

They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they

suggest a
30a circuit.

"They" don't have a clue if they suggest a 20A c'bkr.

You need 30A.

That depends on whether the 18A is peak, or continuous, current. If the
continuous current is 16A or less, a 20A breaker is fine. If it's over 16A,
then a 30A breaker is needed.

Thermal/Magnetic c'bkrs are designed to operate at 80% of rating on a
continuous basis under normal ambient temperatures.

Exactly -- which is why it's important to know whether the 18A is peak or
continuous.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

18 amps is full load current of the 3hp motor on the JDS cyclone. Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

eOn 21 Dec 2006 13:40:53 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

18 amps is full load current of the 3hp motor on the JDS cyclone. Jack

dc's suck a lot of power when they start. far more then most tools do.
mine really takes some power to get revved up to full power.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Full load current (amps) of a motor is the continuous loading of the
motor (ignoring service factor ) before overheating damage to the motor
will begin. Starting currents and duration are another rating that
depends on motor design and loading.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My 3hp cyclone is on a 25 amp breaker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A 3hp 220 volt motor generally requires a 30a dedicated circuit. You
might be able to get by on a 20a circuit but you might blow the circuit
from time to time or overheat the wiring. 20a wiring is 12 gauge, 30a
is 10 gauge

Jds cyclone Jack Woodworking 4 March 29th 06 08:31 PM
3HP snowthrower trouble. PaPaPeng Home Repair 1 March 19th 06 07:49 PM
Running 2 x 3HP compressors ? Jim UK diy 16 January 30th 06 10:49 AM
Curtis 80 gal 3hp compressor ATP* Metalworking 5 February 25th 05 09:32 PM
SIP 3hp Compressor Costco John Durham UK diy 9 October 28th 04 06:38 PM