DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/186538-anyone-using-jds-3hp-cyclone.html)

Toller December 21st 06 05:29 AM

Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they suggest a
30a circuit.

Until I get around to ripping all my cables out of my work shop and redoing
them properly (I have already bought the subpanel...) I only have a 20a
circuit, so I am wondering if it actually works.

And, how do you like it in general? JDS actually said that for one machine
their 2hp would be adequate, but I figure on something like a CMS you need
all the air movement you can get.

Lew Hodgett December 21st 06 05:51 AM

Toller wrote:

They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they

suggest a
30a circuit.

"They" don't have a clue if they suggest a 20A c'bkr.

You need 30A.

Thermal/Magnetic c'bkrs are designed to operate at 80% of rating on a
continuous basis under normal ambient temperatures.

Lew

Doug Miller December 21st 06 11:40 AM

In article et, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Toller wrote:

They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they

suggest a
30a circuit.

"They" don't have a clue if they suggest a 20A c'bkr.

You need 30A.

That depends on whether the 18A is peak, or continuous, current. If the
continuous current is 16A or less, a 20A breaker is fine. If it's over 16A,
then a 30A breaker is needed.

Thermal/Magnetic c'bkrs are designed to operate at 80% of rating on a
continuous basis under normal ambient temperatures.

Exactly -- which is why it's important to know whether the 18A is peak or
continuous.

--
Regards,

Jack December 21st 06 09:40 PM

Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

18 amps is full load current of the 3hp motor on the JDS cyclone. Jack

Steve knight December 22nd 06 05:38 AM

eOn 21 Dec 2006 13:40:53 -0800, "Jack" wrote:

18 amps is full load current of the 3hp motor on the JDS cyclone. Jack

dc's suck a lot of power when they start. far more then most tools do.
mine really takes some power to get revved up to full power.

Jack December 22nd 06 10:28 AM

Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

Full load current (amps) of a motor is the continuous loading of the
motor (ignoring service factor ) before overheating damage to the motor
will begin. Starting currents and duration are another rating that
depends on motor design and loading.

Jack December 22nd 06 10:35 AM

Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

My 3hp cyclone is on a 25 amp breaker.

Dave Herron December 22nd 06 05:30 PM

Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

A 3hp 220 volt motor generally requires a 30a dedicated circuit. You
might be able to get by on a 20a circuit but you might blow the circuit
from time to time or overheat the wiring. 20a wiring is 12 gauge, 30a
is 10 gauge