Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Herron Dave Herron is offline

Default Anyone using a JDS 3hp cyclone?

A 3hp 220 volt motor generally requires a 30a dedicated circuit. You
might be able to get by on a 20a circuit but you might blow the circuit
from time to time or overheat the wiring. 20a wiring is 12 gauge, 30a
is 10 gauge

Toller wrote:
They say it draws 18a and can be run on a 20a circuit, but they suggest a
30a circuit.

Until I get around to ripping all my cables out of my work shop and redoing
them properly (I have already bought the subpanel...) I only have a 20a
circuit, so I am wondering if it actually works.

And, how do you like it in general? JDS actually said that for one machine
their 2hp would be adequate, but I figure on something like a CMS you need
all the air movement you can get.