Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hybrid Tablesaws

"George Max" wrote in message

I read it. I don't see why any hybrid would require any different
accessories from any other saw, contractor's or cabinet, as you say.

I don't either but the original DeWalts came with a fence that you could not
change out. Some used different sized miter slots.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I tried about six months ago to order a 22124. They said it would be
delivered within seven days. On day eight, I called to find out what
the problem was. The order had been cancelled. They didn't know who
cancelled it or why. About a week later, I got a bill for it anyway.
They cancelled the saw but not the bill. Bit of a hassle getting that
straitened out. I tried ordering the same saw again last week. Again,
they cancelled my order but this time they at least sent me an email
saying so. They said something about getting more orders than they
anticipated. If they actually do sell these saws, I don't know where.
BTW, they still advertise this saw on their website as being available
in my area.

Gus wrote:
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

As for table saws, I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't think
their brand is the best. I used to own a Craftsman and I believe that
what they market as 'contractor saws' are nothing more than benchtops
in a contractor saw coat. I've got the Delta 36-982 contractor saw
(comes w/ Biesemeyer fence and side extension table). I don't think
anything Craftsman sells holds a candle to it, but, as you see, I have
my preference too.

Yet another person with absolutely NO knowledge of the Craftsman
hybrids.

They are wonderful saws that compete favorably with anything out there.

They are built by Orion, which is composed of former Delta folks.

I believe the only plastic bits on mine are the handwheels and the
motor door.

Check out the 22104,22114 and 22124.

You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gus wrote:

Yet another person with absolutely NO knowledge of the Craftsman
hybrids.

They are wonderful saws that compete favorably with anything out there.

They are built by Orion, which is composed of former Delta folks.

I believe the only plastic bits on mine are the handwheels and the
motor door.

Check out the 22104,22114 and 22124.

You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hi Gus. I think you're correct in assuming (though it is an
assumption) that I don't know everything about the Craftsman hybrids.
To be honest, I've been burned too many times by Sears to really
consider their hybrids. When I started woodworking I purchased nearly
everything in their mid-price range and every single tool I bought
turned out to be either poorly made or low on features compared to
other makes for the same price. You mention that Orion makes their
hybrids. I understand Sears tools are made by different manufacturers,
even their current line of table saws have differing manufacturers.
I've read many arguements that some manufacturers stink and others
simply get bad specs/high tolerances from buyers. Again, my feeling is
that if I'm burned once by a company I'm hesitant to go back for
seconds. Perhaps the Sears hybrids deserve a second look but by the
same token perhaps Sears should strive for better quality along every
tool line or not post such silly things as horsepower ratings in huge
lettering on their saws, shop vacs and other power equipment. Perhaps
they should also try to get people who've actually used woodworking
tools to sell them. In fact, perhaps they should get woodworkers to
consult with the purchasers before they market their tools- call that a
crazy idea but it's certainly helped build other woodworking tool
companies.

Now, contrast Sears with my experience at a place I just went to
yesterday in Atlanta- Redmond and Sons Machinery (a sister store of
Rockler). They carried a range of machinery that would make you wet
your pants if all you've ever been exposed to is Sears, Lowes and Home
Depot. Strangely, however, the prices were still reasonable, and the
staff knew exactly what they were selling. What's more is you could
tell that every tool they sold was rock solid. They didn't carry
anything that looked like it might break down in a year or two. No
Ryobi, no Black and Decker, no Craftsman. I had that feeling I once
had as a kid when, after years of my parents bringing me to
Sears/Target/Wal-Mart/Penney's for BMX bikes then they finally bring me
to a reputable bike store and I saw the GT's, Diamon Backs and
Mongooses. It was a whole new world.

Now I've always read the suggestion that people should 'pick up a
unisaw locally on the cheap' and recognize whole heartedly that many
towns simply do not have such a great secondary tool market. My own
that I currently live in (Columbus, GA) surely doesn't. But odds are
every town in the US is probably a few hours drive at most to a larger
city that does have the great deals and great stores. If you've
settled on Sears you'd kick yourself in the butt later if you ever
walked into a dedicated machinery/woodworking store and saw some of the
things you can get. That's the experience I had with Sear's mid-range
tools just compared with my local Lowes and Home Depot. After visiting
Redmonds in Atlanta I can confidently say anyone would regret buying
even the larger power tools from Sears if they took the time to visit a
real dedicated machinery/woodworking store in a larger city.

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:28:23 GMT, Mike Howland
wrote:

Greetings,

I'm considering upgrading from my current contractor saw to a hybrid saw.

I know I'm late to the thread, but this is new information. G

The FWW that arrived in my mailbox yesterday had a very favorable
"first look" mini-review of a new Hitachi hybrid cabinet saw. The
article stated the saw should sell ~ $1000.

FWW has the specs online:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=28011

It looks nice!

Barry,
I read that review in FWW with intrest also. I found one review on the web
that the author claimed it was a bit under powered when compared to other
saws of the same type but it's definitely on my candidate list.
I have no experience with Hitachi... folks seem to like them.
Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Greetings,

I'm considering upgrading from my current contractor saw to a hybrid saw.

I know I'm late to the thread, but this is new information. G

The FWW that arrived in my mailbox yesterday had a very favorable
"first look" mini-review of a new Hitachi hybrid cabinet saw. The
article stated the saw should sell ~ $1000.

FWW has the specs online:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=28011

It looks nice!

Does that new Hitachi saw look alien? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"resrfglc" wrote in message
Why are we calling them "hybrids?"

Because their design is basically brand new. New within the last 6-8
years. IIRC DeWalt was the first. They some times look like a regular
cabinet saw but typically have the guts and the power of a contractors saw.
Some have propriatary accessories, miter gauges and fences.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus Gus is offline

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

snip
Redmonds in Atlanta I can confidently say anyone would regret buying
even the larger power tools from Sears if they took the time to visit a
real dedicated machinery/woodworking store in a larger city.

I've visited them all at one time or another.

For the quality/cost ratio, the Sears hybrids can't be beat.

Yes, I looked at Delta, Grizzly, General, etc,etc.........

I'm completely satisfied with my saw.