Posted to rec.woodworking
John Smith

Default Delta Tablesaws

Is the Delta X5 unisaw or their hybrid table saw better? I'm just starting
in woodworking. I've collected a lot of tools through garage sales, store
clearance sales, etc. My new shop will be approximately 23 x 16. I would
like to get a table saw that will last a lifetime. Is the Delta Hybrid saw
able to handle sheets of plywood?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike from American Sycamore

John Smith wrote:
Is the Delta X5 unisaw or their hybrid table saw better? I'm just starting
in woodworking. I've collected a lot of tools through garage sales, store
clearance sales, etc. My new shop will be approximately 23 x 16. I would
like to get a table saw that will last a lifetime. Is the Delta Hybrid saw
able to handle sheets of plywood?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

Yes the new hybrid would handle plywood very well. However, since you
said "lifetime" I would look very serious at the Delta 3hp Unisaw USA
made unit. Nothing says I love you...like the Delta Unisaw! I am a fan
of the Biesemeyer fence and I prefer a left tilt, just what I am used
to... no real advantage. This is the last saw you would ever need to
buy. I am a big fan of Delta and have used Delta products for years.
Let me know if I can be of any help.

Good luck and happy saw hunting,
Mike from American Sycamore
www.mywoodworkingschool.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

John Smith said:

Is the Delta X5 unisaw or their hybrid table saw better? I'm just starting
in woodworking. I've collected a lot of tools through garage sales, store
clearance sales, etc. My new shop will be approximately 23 x 16. I would
like to get a table saw that will last a lifetime. Is the Delta Hybrid saw
able to handle sheets of plywood?

Mark, If you will DAGS (Do a Google Search) you will find lots of
information on these topics. Personally, I would walk, not run, from
the new hybrid Delta - and I own many older Delta tools.

Click he
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking?hl=en

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
David

John Smith wrote:

Is the Delta X5 unisaw or their hybrid table saw better? I'm just starting
in woodworking. I've collected a lot of tools through garage sales, store
clearance sales, etc. My new shop will be approximately 23 x 16. I would
like to get a table saw that will last a lifetime. Is the Delta Hybrid saw
able to handle sheets of plywood?

Thanks,
Mark

Get the Unisaw. It is a full fledged cabinet saw. For good reason,
it's one of the most common table saws in both hobby and professional
shops. The 3 HP version is plenty strong, so you don't need to consider
the 5 HP for hobby use.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
wayne mak

I will have to say the unisaw is a great machine I bought one to build my
kitchen cabinets over the winter.
http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/unisaw/unisaw.htm

I have spent a few weeks behind this machine and I will say its a DAM good
tool. I have my share of tools

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/shop/shop.htm

So I know a good one when I use it. My father who I would say is a master
woodworker (has written 2 books for fine woodworking and done more than
that) has a unisaw thats 40 years old and still runs like new. Look for a
GOOD used unisaw and you will be happy or new if you can afford it.

I have done a good amount of wood working on many table saws and will say
with the unisaw I can draw my plans and use the fence to measure and never
need to "adjust" a measurement to make it fit. That is a tight machine for a
guy used to using milling machines with a DRO to measure.

http://www.motherearthrecycling.net/

"mike from American Sycamore" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Smith wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob V

Wayne,
That new unisaw look so out of place among all that old irn - I have a old
1970s powermatic that would look great in that shop of yours!
(Just missing a motor)

John Smith wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

John,
I'll add to the unanimous vote to go for the Unisaw if you want a saw
that will last a lifetime. The hybrid saw is just a Contractor's saw
with the motor moved inside an enclosed base. It's not in the same
league as a Unisaw. It's probably a fairly decent saw for a carpenter
or a beginning woodworker, but doesn't pass the "last saw I'll ever
buy" test.

You'll probably want to do a little more research on fences before you
take the plunge on your "first and last saw". The width of panel you
can rip is determined by the length of the fence rails. Any full-size
(as opposed to benchtop) saw can take a fence with at least 30" of rip
capacity, which will get you past the center of a sheet of plywood.
You can get fence rails 52" or longer, but they take up lots of room in
your shop. There are several good fence brands out there, each with
devoted fans. I have a Biesemier, and it's close enough to perfect for
me.

Many of us who already have saws with plenty of rip capacity choose to
cut plywood panels to rough size with a circular saw and straightedge
then true them up on the table saw. It's just easier than wrestling a
4 X 8 sheet on the saw.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob S

Wayne,

Have you made the splitter for it? Sent you a number of pics and a pdf
manual for the Bies splitter which I guess you never received.

Bob S.

John Smith wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Smith wrote:
Is the Delta X5 unisaw or their hybrid table saw better?

Was in a high-end tool store the other day, walked up to the hybrid.
The owner of the store walked up to me and told me not to even think
about it. He said he had to tap all new holes to get the damn thing
together, and he assembles saws for a living. He said it was a bag of
parts that just weren't well thought out.

He's a full-line Delta dealer, so he is pretty much expected to carry
the saw.

But I bet he doesn't sell a single one to a customer he wants repeat
business from.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

Unisaw over the hybrid hands down. You will pay more but as they say
"Darned well worth it!"

I think the hybrid is Delta's attempt to defend against the Asian attack
against the Unisaw from firms like Grizzly. They failed.

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob G.

wrote:

Is the Delta X5 unisaw or their hybrid table saw better? I'm just starting
in woodworking. I've collected a lot of tools through garage sales, store
clearance sales, etc. My new shop will be approximately 23 x 16. I would
like to get a table saw that will last a lifetime. Is the Delta Hybrid saw
able to handle sheets of plywood?

Thanks,
Mark

===============
I have NOT read the other replies....BUT

Let me tell you that I own a Cabinet Saw..(not a Unisaw) .and
you honestly can not compare a Hybrid to it.... the Unisaw wins
hands down...

To answer your last question...Both the Unisaw and the Hybrid will
handle sheets of plywood...the big question is just how big those
sheets are, how strong you are and how good your fence locks down.....

I can (but sure as the devil do not like to) run a full 4x8 ft sheet
of 3/4 in plywood thru my Cabibet saw..even with my 52 in Biesmeyer
fence.and an outfeed table...... I normally cut them down to rough
size using a circular saw with the plywood laying on the floor...

If you have the "few" extra bucks I would suggest you buy the
unisaw...your grandchildren most likey will be thankful...

Bob G.