Posted to rec.woodworking
Una Una is offline

Default A *good* manual hand drill?

For Christmas DH wants a good manual hand drill. Eggbeater
style, with a side handle to hold if you want to lean on the
butt handle. He has one now that is junk: the gears don't
mesh smoothly and the chuck is skewed.

Recommended brands and sources would be *much* appreciated!

Una
Posted to rec.woodworking

Una wrote:
For Christmas DH wants a good manual hand drill. Eggbeater
style, with a side handle to hold if you want to lean on the
butt handle. He has one now that is junk: the gears don't
mesh smoothly and the chuck is skewed.

Recommended brands and sources would be *much* appreciated!

Una

I'd suggest looking at flea markets, antique sales and such for an old
Stanley hand drill ($5 - $10) but, seeing that it's December 7th, you
may not have time take a look at what Lee Valley Tools has to offer:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42337

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Una wrote:

For Christmas DH wants a good manual hand drill. Eggbeater
style, with a side handle to hold if you want to lean on the
butt handle. He has one now that is junk: the gears don't
mesh smoothly and the chuck is skewed.

As with a lot of hand tools, the older the better. Look for a Goodell-Pratt
first, then a Miller Falls (they bought G-P). Here's an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Vintage-Good...QQcmdZViewItem

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

About an hour ago, I opened a package from Lee Valley. Inside was an
eggbeater type hand drill. Well made, smooth. Just had to drill a couple of
holes. Worked well. Think I will be well satisfied.

"Nova" wrote in message
news21eh.2334$g_3.2100@trndny02...
Una wrote:
For Christmas DH wants a good manual hand drill. Eggbeater
style, with a side handle to hold if you want to lean on the
butt handle. He has one now that is junk: the gears don't
mesh smoothly and the chuck is skewed.

Recommended brands and sources would be *much* appreciated!

Una

I'd suggest looking at flea markets, antique sales and such for an old
Stanley hand drill ($5 - $10) but, seeing that it's December 7th, you
may not have time take a look at what Lee Valley Tools has to offer:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42337

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Una Una is offline

Thank you Nova, CW, and Larry Blanchard for your leads to good
brands. It is tricky to buy on Ebay unless you know what you're
looking at. I am glad to have so many choices, used and new!

DH's favorite color is blue, and this Footprint Tools hand drill
is blue: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8512
Any good/bad information re the online vendor and/or the brand?

Una

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have seen that had drill before. I think that the gears are die cast.
One of the drill I have (Footprint Made in Sheffield England) the gears are
machined and It work much better.
It did not know it was worth that much money. I usually kept it on my
sailboat.

"Una" wrote in message ...
Thank you Nova, CW, and Larry Blanchard for your leads to good
brands. It is tricky to buy on Ebay unless you know what you're
looking at. I am glad to have so many choices, used and new!

DH's favorite color is blue, and this Footprint Tools hand drill
is blue: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8512
Any good/bad information re the online vendor and/or the brand?

Una

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 9, 3:23 pm, (Una) wrote:
Thank you Nova, CW, and Larry Blanchard for your leads to good
brands. It is tricky to buy on Ebay unless you know what you're
looking at. I am glad to have so many choices, used and new!

DH's favorite color is blue, and this Footprint Tools hand drill
is blue: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=8512
Any good/bad information re the online vendor and/or the brand?

I don't know that buying a tool based on its color is such a good idea.

eBay is pretty straightforward if you rely on feedback, there's a
seller history of selling similar items, and there's a description that
doesn't leave wiggle room.
Here's one auction that is up in a couple of hours where the seller is
selling two eggbeaters:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Miller-Falls-Cha...mZ150066670261

Here's another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/North-Brothers-Y...mZ160059259898

Posted to rec.woodworking
Una Una is offline

RicodJour wrote:
I don't know that buying a tool based on its color is such a good idea.

Of course not. Which is why I asked for more important information.

Anyway, the blue Footprint (English) 2-pinion hand drill is carried
by Garrett Wade, and they have a photo of its backside. Which
reveals it has no handle there. So the drill is not quite usable
as a breast drill. And it is twice as expensive as the Shroeder
(German) hand drill carried by Lee Valley among others.

Una
Posted to rec.woodworking

PMJI, I have a blue Footprint (English made) 2-pinion hand drill
It is not like the one shown at Garret Wade. Mine is made to be used as a
breast drill and also the regular way like the one shown at Garret Wade.
I got mine at Sears 30 years ago. It was stored on my sailboat for about 22
years. It has no sign of rust. The thick blue paint on the two handles and
one knob has cracked.
After reading that thread I look at my hand drill and decided to removed all
the paint on the wooden parts. Then, today I applied one coat of Danish oil
finish.
The drill looks very nice. However it may have been a mistake to remove the
original blue paint. They say that it could reduced the value of an antique
tool?

"Una" wrote in message ...
RicodJour wrote:
I don't know that buying a tool based on its color is such a good idea.

Of course not. Which is why I asked for more important information.

Anyway, the blue Footprint (English) 2-pinion hand drill is carried
by Garrett Wade, and they have a photo of its backside. Which
reveals it has no handle there. So the drill is not quite usable
as a breast drill. And it is twice as expensive as the Shroeder
(German) hand drill carried by Lee Valley among others.

Una

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Yes. refinishing does reduce the collector value of an antique but,
since your drill is only thirty,you don't have to worry about that for
another 60 years.

wrote:
PMJI, I have a blue Footprint (English made) 2-pinion hand drill
It is not like the one shown at Garret Wade. Mine is made to be used as a
breast drill and also the regular way like the one shown at Garret Wade.
I got mine at Sears 30 years ago. It was stored on my sailboat for about 22
years. It has no sign of rust. The thick blue paint on the two handles and
one knob has cracked.
After reading that thread I look at my hand drill and decided to removed all
the paint on the wooden parts. Then, today I applied one coat of Danish oil
finish.
The drill looks very nice. However it may have been a mistake to remove the
original blue paint. They say that it could reduced the value of an antique
tool?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Una wrote:
: For Christmas DH wants a good manual hand drill. Eggbeater
: style, with a side handle to hold if you want to lean on the
: butt handle. He has one now that is junk: the gears don't
: mesh smoothly and the chuck is skewed.

: Recommended brands and sources would be *much* appreciated!

: Una

--
ooooooooooooooooo oooooo
Andy Barss