Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stanley Hand Drill 5803

I have picked up a Stanley hand drill 5803 but the pieces inside the
chuck assembly that grip the drill bit are all loose. Possibly one or
more of the springs have snapped through age. The chuck is solid enough
to prevent any removal of the gripping pieces, yet they must have been
inserted somehow? I hope someone can tell us how to either remove the
gripping pieces inside the assembly or where I might get another chuck
assembly please. The action and the condition otherwise are great,
worth fixing,

Made in england

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Everyone. The chuck comes off OK but the three jaws are jumbled
up insode and I think the collar and spring in the diagram
http://diytools.com/product/52500.htm are missing.
How anyone assembles these things is beyond me, a ship in a bottle must
be easier. Chuck is at toolmix for £7.98 incl p&p, better than the
equivalent drill for £30

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com,
writes
Thanks Everyone. The chuck comes off OK but the three jaws are jumbled
up insode and I think the collar and spring in the diagram
http://diytools.com/product/52500.htm are missing.
How anyone assembles these things is beyond me, a ship in a bottle must
be easier.

Nope, although they do take an amount of patience. The knurled main body
of the chuck separates from the plate that screws onto the spindle, as
all the best manuals say, re-assembly is the reverse of disassembly (as
long as you're an octopus)

--
Clint Sharp