Dave in Fairfax

Default UPDATE -LONGISH- on Stanley guide by John Walter

A while back, AAvK and I were talking about John Walter's Hardcover
version of the Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools Price Guide. it's
been out of print since 1996 and to get one of those you have to sell
family into slavery. I've been writing back-and-forth with Mr Walter
since 2000 (I think) about his next offering which had been expected a
couple of years ago. Blame it on the weather. Here, with his
permission, are the two most recent letters from him for general
publication so that everybody knows what's going on.

Dave in Fairfax
Thanks for your interest. Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was
flooded out in Marietta late last year. There was actually 4 feet of
water in my store. This major flood also devastated many other
businesses and homes in town, as the water came up very fast and took
the whole downtown historic district by complete surprise. Luckily we
survived without too many losses, in case you were wondering.

Anyways, I have moved to higher ground now, (Summit county in fact) and
just in time too. Marietta was hit with another major flood in early
2005, with only 3 feet of water in downtown this time. I think I¹d be
ready for the looney bin if I had to go thru that again, yikes! My stuff
has been in box¹s most of the winter, spring and I am just now getting
back online and slowly getting re-organized here in my old hometown.
It¹s easy to grab and go, throwing files, references, everything in
box¹s as the water is rushing up around your ankles, and steadily
rising. However, it is a very timestaking process to sort everything
out. But, things are progressing and coming along...finally, whew!

The big 900 page "Stanley Tools² encyclopedia book is still under
extensive revision, and is nearing completion. I hope to have it ready
later this year. If you wish to be added to my database and be notified
with a flyer/info by snail mail, then by all means, please forward your
mailing address so I can be sure to let you know when it is available
and send ordering details, etc. when ready to ship.

In the meantime, I have the latest edition of the 2004 Stanley Tools
Pocket Price Guide in stock. (270 pages) The cost is $10.00 postpaid,
plus $2.00 S&H, Ohio residents please add .75 cents sales tax, per copy.
Orders will be shipped promptly! (order 2 copies, save 2 bucks, only
$22.00
total, if interested)
Sincerely, John
My new address is as follows;
John Walter
The Tool Merchant
No. 6135 Ellet Station
Akron, Ohio. 44312

P.S. Just unearthed a few full color 1880's vintage Stanley posters I
reprinted in 1994 (16 x 22 inches) while moving. They are limited in
supply and cost $10 each folded (as they came originally from Stanley
when printed) or I can ship rolled in a tube for $14, postpaid. They are
clearly marked reprints in the bottom corner, originals easily go for
$800.00 and up! These are a great addition to any workshop or office and
look great!
Due to the backlog of work, please no phone orders at this time. Thank
you!

I STILL BUY AND SELL OLD TOOLS
-------------------
Dave... Thanks for your enthusiasms. I am not set up yet to accept
credit
cards, so a check or MO will work. Yes you may publish the letter I sent
you
in it's entirety. I am still unpacking and getting things re-organized
and
do not have a retail shop open as of yet. (office almost done) Also
while
your making an announcement to the group I am more the receptive to any
suggestions, new info, comments, etc. of what readers may like to see in
the
new book. Sincerely, John
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
LRod

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 14:32:59 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

In the meantime, I have the latest edition of the 2004 Stanley Tools
Pocket Price Guide in stock. (270 pages) The cost is $10.00 postpaid,
plus $2.00 S&H, Ohio residents please add .75 cents sales tax, per copy.
Orders will be shipped promptly! (order 2 copies, save 2 bucks, only
$22.00

I hate to pick nits, but if it's $10.00 postpaid, what's the $2.00 S&H
for?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Dave in Fairfax

LRod wrote:
I hate to pick nits, but if it's $10.00 postpaid, what's the $2.00 S&H
for?

Even nits need to be picked, and smashed or eaten, yer cherss. I can't
tell you that though. I don't do the billing, the sending or much more
than the bird dogging. I have only a negative monetary interrest in the
goodies that Mr Walter sells. ;-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org
AAvK

Dave have you got David E. Heckel's "Stanley Forty-Five" book?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Dave in Fairfax

AAvK wrote:
Dave have you got David E. Heckel's "Stanley Forty-Five" book?

I don't think so, I've got a lot of books, but I've got a 45 and a pile
of irons for it. %-)

Dave in Fairfax