Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Florida bookcase tragedy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6185854.stm

Posted to rec.woodworking

bloody hell. Thats one of the maddest things i've heard in a long
time.

Theres probably a lesson to be learnt, but i've no idea what!

Barry
www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

bloody hell. Thats one of the maddest things i've heard in a long
time.

Theres probably a lesson to be learnt, but i've no idea what!

Barry
www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk

Well, if it happened in the UK there would probably be an uproar to ban
bookcases. Never heard anywhere else insane enough to even talk about
banning kitchen knives. Damn, those 15" razor sharp planer knives must
be banned already, better hide them...
Posted to rec.woodworking

11 days with a dead body in the house and nobody smelled it???
Smells like bull**** to me.

Art

"Tim W" wrote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6185854.stm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 21:06:09 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Well, if it happened in the UK there would probably be an uproar to ban
bookcases.

No....wait....**BookCaseStop**....!
This is not just fingers, this device would save lives
Come on - lets get behind this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Sun, Nov 26, 2006, 8:09pm (EST+5)
(Tim W) did post a story:

Sounds like BS - or a troll - to me.

It's the BBC, not known for BS and if you want you can trace the original
report from the Local paper - St Petersburg Chronicle or something.

tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

It is in the paper today, so it is not a troll. The article in our paper
says that she probably fell back there trying to adjust an electric plug.
If she fell down and depending on the dimensions, she could easily have
been compressed enough to eliminate any yelling and quickly suffocate.

Yeah I actually feel that she probably knocker herself out and never
regained consciousness.

I also, can't figure out why nobody checked the room completely or noticed
the foot? But, many people are completely unaware of most things about
them. And, stupidity knows no bounds!

Yup. I do more thorough looks for less significant objects.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

It is in the paper today, so it is not a troll. The article in our paper
says that she probably fell back there trying to adjust an electric plug.
If she fell down and depending on the dimensions, she could easily have
been compressed enough to eliminate any yelling and quickly suffocate.

Yeah I actually feel that she probably knocker herself out and never
regained consciousness.

I also, can't figure out why nobody checked the room completely or noticed
the foot? But, many people are completely unaware of most things about
them. And, stupidity knows no bounds!

Yup. I do more thorough looks for less significant objects.

Also even for more aware folks, when you are looking for a large object
i.e. person, you tend not to look in small places as you would for lost
keys.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:09:02 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6185854.stm

Wow.

This is another feature to add to my next project. A hidden drawer, a
flip out shelf, an old lady trap.
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Sorry to be so flip. If true, the womans family is very sad at this
time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sun, Nov 26, 2006, 10:30pm (EST+5) (Pete*C.) doth
sayeth:
It's on CNN as well: snip

Which only proves that CNN picked up the story also.

However, it is quite interesting that CNN has some thingls not
included in the other story, and which do absolutely nothing to make me
less suspicious. If she was that damn tiny, why not just reach behind
the bookcase while standing on the floor, rather than standing on a
bureau and reaching over? In my experience, it would be pretty easy to
tip over a bookcase, especially with the leverage being against a wall
would give you, even someone that small. And, if I walked into a room,
and saw a bookcase that far from a wall, I'd go look behind it,
especially with a "rat" smell coming from "somewhere"; because, if for
nothing else, I'd be looking for a place to set some rat traps and/or
dead rat.

Reporters have lied before; could be the case here, or someone
stuffed her behind there. Or, she was actually that stupid, and died
from it. I'm not a cop on the scene, so don't know. What I do know is,
the information that I do have makes me suspicious that one way or
another this is BS.

quote Family members scoured her room for clues but found nothing,
although they did notice a strange smell.
On Nov. 9, Weber's sister went into her bedroom and looked behind a
bookcase, where she saw the woman's foot. Using a flashlight, the family
saw Weber was wedged upside-down behind the unit.
"I'm sleeping in the same house as her for 11 days, looking for her,"
her mother, Connie Weber, told the St. Petersburg Times. "And she's
right in the bedroom."
Both Weber and her sister previously had adjusted the television plug by
standing on a bureau next to the shelf and leaning over the top. Her
family believes Weber, who was 5-foot-3 and barely 100 pounds, may have
fallen headfirst into the space.
"She's a little thing," her mother said. "And the bookcase is 6 feet
tall and solid. And she couldn't get out." end quote

JOAT
Democratic justice. One man, one rock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

O.K. GOAT, how about you give us the full story on the O.J. thing.
You're sooo smart, it should be easy for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well, if it happened in the UK there would probably be an uproar to ban
bookcases.

No....wait....**BookCaseStop**....!
This is not just fingers, this device would save lives
Come on - lets get behind this.

As of today, any bookcase I design will have an escape hatch.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:45:51 GMT, "Tim W"
wrote:

It's the BBC, not known for BS and if you want you can trace the original
report from the Local paper - St Petersburg Chronicle or something.

St. Petersburg Times.

I read the article and the obit. I feel there is something that isn't
being told. And not that it lessens the heartache for the family, but
it might help explain how it happened. 38 years old, living at home,
physically quite small, extremely menial job by the sound of it. I
wonder if this woman had "special needs." Especially as the suspected
scenario was an abduction.

But the smell part bothers me. I've had dead things in the house on
two occasions. It's not a smell you can ignore. Granted, it's not
always easy to track down (never did find the carcasses in either
case), especially if it's a rodent, but if you have a missing person
AND an odor, it seems to me it's time to tear the house apart.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I agree with you.

This is a quote from the Chicago Tribune....
"A spokesman for the Pasco County Sheriff's Office said Mariesa
Weber's death was not suspicious."

I would be interested to know how they came to that conclusion.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I also, can't figure out why nobody checked the
room completely or noticed the foot? But, many
people are completely unaware of most things about
them. And, stupidity knows no bounds!

About a year ago, in a small town near me, a man who lived alone was
reported missing by his family. The cops searched for him for two
weeks until a family member noticed a strange smell in his bedroom. He
was lying in his own bed "under a pile of clothes".

DonkeyHody
"If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a
nail." - Abraham Maslow

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well, if it happened in the UK there would probably be an uproar to ban
bookcases.

No....wait....**BookCaseStop**....!
This is not just fingers, this device would save lives
Come on - lets get behind this.

As of today, any bookcase I design will have an escape hatch.

Just as an engineering exercise, it might be interesting to figure out how
to design a bookcase that prevented this risk while not standing a
ludicrous distance from the wall or presenting a tipping hazard.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Just as an engineering exercise, it might be interesting to figure out how
to design a bookcase that prevented this risk while not standing a
ludicrous distance from the wall or presenting a tipping hazard.

Attach it to the wall with screws driven behind the shelving or French
cleats?

It sounds like it must already have been several inches from the wall
because 1) the object she was fishing out fell behind it and 2) when she
fell behind it, it did not tip.

How is it that an entire human being could get wedged back there and NOT
tip it? The only possibility that comes to mind is that the bookshelf
was fairly deep.

I still think that this one deserves close scrutiny by the coroner.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:19:13 -0500, Bill in Detroit
wrote:

He had a second trial under civil law. He was found guilty and ordered
to pay a huge fine. He has not, to this day, paid a cent.

Not only that, but he has pointedly said he will *NEVER* pay and has
purposely hidden all of his assets in order to avoid paying anything.
This whole book deal was specifically brokered so that he's never
actually receive any money in his own name, it would go to someone
else and be safe from confiscation under the law.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim W wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6185854.stm

Amazing the amount of judgments and assumptions made so far. Maybe a
more complete report will help answer some questions and lay suspicions
to rest.
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradent...l/16099174.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Nov 2006 20:01:43 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

Tim W wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6185854.stm

Amazing the amount of judgments and assumptions made so far. Maybe a
more complete report will help answer some questions and lay suspicions
to rest.
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradent...l/16099174.htm

I believe (based on the St. Petersburg Times byline) that this is the
same article as published in the St. Petersburg Times. I had already
read it. The questions I raised in my post above, which were based on
my reading of the article, remain unresolved.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
Tim W wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6185854.stm

Amazing the amount of judgments and assumptions made so far. Maybe a
more complete report will help answer some questions and lay suspicions
to rest.
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradent...l/16099174.htm

Nope ... just arouses more.

A freestanding 72" book case is unlikely to have been more than about
60" wide and far more likely to have been about 48" wide. (Golden Mean
would call for it to be ~44.5") And yes, that IS an assumption. And it
also makes it hard to conceive of a way that the entire body (5' 3")
could have been hidden from view. Or a reason why she would have gone
over the top of it to deal with an electrical plug (her Dad says he
found her inverted ... not horizontal). Or, having been able to tip it
out enough to fall in behind it she was not able to tip it out enough to
free herself. Or how, if she didn't have to tip it outward to fall
behind it, it still managed to pin her immobile.

The family was just getting ready to sit down to dinner. No one in the
house could hear her? Dad, Mom, Sister? Nobody heard? If she was trying
to adjust the plug for the tv in her room, apparently the tv wasn't
working. So it didn't cover her cries. According to her Mom she was
speaking lucidly and audibly immediately before entering the bedroom.

Age 38, no children, scrawny*, punker tattoo on her ankle, living with
her parents, working in a minor job.

There is a LOT between the lines here.

Yeah ... I suppose it's possible that this was some sort of freak
accident. I suppose it's possible that I'll find a winning Powerball
ticket on my front porch tomorrow.

Bill

* BMI of well under 18
http://www.bariatricedge.com/dtcf/pa...calculator.htm
** name of a guy who either committed suicide or botched a one-man orgy
and who died in 1997
http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/h...Hutchence.html
--
Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as
one goes on.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:18:30 -0500, Bill in Detroit wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

Just as an engineering exercise, it might be interesting to figure out how
to design a bookcase that prevented this risk while not standing a
ludicrous distance from the wall or presenting a tipping hazard.

Attach it to the wall with screws driven behind the shelving or French
cleats?

How do you reach the plug behind it?

It sounds like it must already have been several inches from the wall
because 1) the object she was fishing out fell behind it

She wasn't "fishing out an object", she was plugging something in or
unplugging something.

and 2) when she
fell behind it, it did not tip.

The main point is that it was far enough from the wall to accommodate an
electrical plug. This would be one of the design criteria for the
exercise, that there be some provision for dealing with electrical outlets
behind the bookcase.

How is it that an entire human being could get wedged back there and NOT
tip it? The only possibility that comes to mind is that the bookshelf
was fairly deep.

I still think that this one deserves close scrutiny by the coroner.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
Tim W wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6185854.stm

Amazing the amount of judgments and assumptions made so far. Maybe a
more complete report will help answer some questions and lay suspicions
to rest.
http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradent...l/16099174.htm

Nope ... just arouses more.

More assumptions it seems.

[...]

Everything you wrote is an assumption.
Google the Darwin awards - strange things kill people all of the time.
People win the lottery all of the time
Exactly how big is a 5'3" 100 pound woman supposed to be to prevent
being called scrawny by an armchair quarterback?
If she were married, would she not be scrawny, not have the tattoo or
not be dead?
There was a plug strip. That's like an extension cord. Usually those
are used in areas where you need more outlets and/or in a more
convenient location. The more convenient location is not always the
most convenient location.
Maybe the bookcase was on the diagonal in a corner. That's a
possibility, not an assumption.
You neglected to assume what was on the bookcase besides the TV, how
much the stuff weighed and the distribution of that weight. From there
you can make calculated assumptions (you know, more assumptions) about
the force required to overturn the bookcase in your assumed location.
Show all work.
There apparently were sections of the article dealing with inverted
suffocation that you didn't read. Perhaps you should read them.

Other than that, good post.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

Just as an engineering exercise, it might be interesting to figure out
how
to design a bookcase that prevented this risk while not standing a
ludicrous distance from the wall or presenting a tipping hazard.

Attach it to the wall with screws driven behind the shelving or French
cleats?

How do you reach the plug behind it?

Remove the _Life of Thomas Edison_ and reveal the direct path to the plug?

I've got one where the plug is behind Clay Blair's excellent work on US
submarines in WWII, _Silent Victory_.

Doesn't take a lot of forethought if you're building the case yourself, sort
of like building in the path for the cold air return underneath the grille
you attached in the kick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
ups.com...

I also, can't figure out why nobody checked the
room completely or noticed the foot? But, many
people are completely unaware of most things about
them. And, stupidity knows no bounds!

About a year ago, in a small town near me, a man who lived alone was
reported missing by his family. The cops searched for him for two
weeks until a family member noticed a strange smell in his bedroom. He
was lying in his own bed "under a pile of clothes".

DonkeyHody
"If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a
nail." - Abraham Maslow

How did the clothes get on top of him?

OT- The Great Boston Molasses Tragedy Gunner Metalworking 4 October 10th 05 11:10 PM
Florida Bugs! Ross Mac Home Repair 6 May 25th 05 03:40 AM
Lost in Florida BeeZee Home Repair 1 May 9th 05 05:35 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM