Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawstop Cabinet Saw

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:07:04 -0500, "Rob Lee"
wrote:

Bigger issue for us is having people remove guards. No matter what your
policy is, or how you train people, get caught with a missing guard, and
it's very uncool...

Unfortunately Rob, that's exactly what ends up causing most of the
accidents, people working around the existing safety equipment.
Properly used, it's very hard to really hurt yourself on a tablesaw.
You've got a blade guard, you've got a splitter/riving knife, you've
got anti-kickback pawls, you should know better than to put your
hands anywhere remotely near the blade, you should be paying attention
and anticipating what might happen, it would take some serious work to
really injure yourself. It's the people who bypass the safety
features (and I suspect bypassing the SawStop is going to be common)
and use their tools carelessly who get hurt.

And it's their own damn fault too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Brian Henderson" wrote in message
ever need, it's just not worth the pricetag and their faulty stopping
technology just isn't necessary in my shop. I'll go on for another 40
years of woodworking without serious injury, without having some nanny

In fact, I can pretty much guarantee I'd never trip the SS

And of course, you're intimately familiar with SawStop and can say with
absolute certainty that their technology is faulty. Why do you think I've
been responding to you as I have? You've stated things that you really don't
know for sure and made assertions that are impossible to verify. Whether you
ever get a SawStop is your business and I couldn't really care less, but
however you want to spin it, the technology has considerably value and
there's nothing your fantasy statements can do to change that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
In article cntah.17228$uj6.15866@edtnps89, "ks" wrote:

Two words:
Riving Knife

That's not part of the SawStop technology, though, nor is it in any way unique
to that brand.

You're right there, but the way the patent office works these days, I
would not be surprised if someone was able to patent the rising &
falling riving knife.

Just imagine if someone like Selden came along 75 or 100 years ago and
patented the tablesaw.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawstop Cabinet Saw & Variations

I've got it! I'VE GOT IT!

The **** "USENET NEWSGROUP OFF-TOPIC STOP" ****

What time does the patent office open?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
snipped...
I'm sorry, but how does using a Sawstop saw promote customer good will?

...snipped...

Less blood on the merchandise?

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don Fearn wrote:
I think it was Joe Gorman who stated:

Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aaomG4adRvHY

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posting early with no caffeine yet, be gentle.

Interesting, she says the saw stops in 3/1000 of a second yet their main
page http://sawstop.com/ only promises 5/1000 of a second. Minor but

MEGO . . . .

-D

MEGO? http://www.megomuseum.com/ ?
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aaomG4adRvHY

Posting early with no caffeine yet, be gentle.

Interesting, she says the saw stops in 3/1000 of a second yet their main
page http://sawstop.com/ only promises 5/1000 of a second. Minor but

MEGO . . . .

MEGO? http://www.megomuseum.com/ ?

My Eyes Glaze Over

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:50:25 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

Being a commercial user with a number of units at different locations,
I assume that you did some sort of internal evaluation of the
probability of this company staying in business for a reasonably long
period of time to provide parts and service.

Are you a commercial user with injury insurance? If so, what are you going
to do if your insurance company refuses to insure you unless you buy one? Or
at the very least, what will you do if your premiums are greatly increased
unless you buy one?

Aside from the moral aspects of using a SawStop which goes a long way to
preventing the loss of fingers, I believe Lee Valley adopted SawStops mainly
for insurance reasons. If it costs a business money *not* to use a SawStop,
then there's only two solutions and that's either to buy or go into a
different line of business.

This is not an attack of any sort, just an observation with limited choices
for choosing a business direction.

Well, as I noted in my post, I have a Shopsmith and don't have room
for a SawStop even if I wanted one. However, I am the business manager
for a public school district with a couple of shop classes and several
(very old) cabinet saws. I deal with the insurance company (both
liability and workers compensation - as well as property, auto and all
the rest) seemingly every day. Not once has the concept of a Sawstop
been mentioned. There has not been any indication whatsoever that
there would be so much as a penny drop in our insurance bill should we
replace all of those (very old) cabinet saws with SawStops, let alone
a threat that our insurance would be outright canceled. This is
probably fortunate because if tomorrow some gov't agency mandated that
we replace those saws with new $3,000 saws it is likely that the shop
classes would simply go away and we would get yet another space for
pottery classes. ($3,000 for a kiln, no biggie. $3,000 for a tablesaw
and the world is ending).

Be that as it may, if the company fails to establish a viable business
model - and to me one high end tablesaw as the entire company's
product line is not a viable business model - I would have some
concern as to the long term viability of the company and the saw. If
the saw was a major factor in the continuing operation of my business
that would give me cause for concern.

Dave Hall

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aaomG4adRvHY

Posting early with no caffeine yet, be gentle.

Interesting, she says the saw stops in 3/1000 of a second yet their main
page http://sawstop.com/ only promises 5/1000 of a second. Minor but
MEGO . . . .

MEGO? http://www.megomuseum.com/ ?

My Eyes Glaze Over