takashi

Default Is a radial saw more versitile than a table saw?

Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

Mike G

As much as I love my Radial Arm saw the answer is no it isn't conviently or
safely more versatile and if I had to give up on or the other it would have
to be the RAS that goes..

--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
"takashi" wrote in message
Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

Frank McVey

Hi, Takashi,

I possess both. I think it's probably fair to say that the RAS is more
verstaile than a table saw (although both can rip and cross-cut). However,
I would add that, at entry -level prices at least, the table saw is
inherently a more reliably accurate machine. If I had my purchasing time
again, I would drop the RAS, add some more money to get a better table saw,
and look to buying a decent CMS for dedicated crosscutting at a later date.

My tuppence worth, but I do feel that it's a fairly objective viewpoint. I
have the DW 720 RAS and a Record Maxi 26 universal, which is mostly used as
a table-saw. Neither are top of the line, but both are well above the
budget level.

Cheers

Frank

"takashi" wrote in message
Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

Preston Andreas

I suggest a table saw. With a crosscut sled, crosscutting on a tablesaw is
easy, plus you can crosscut wider material than with most radial arm saws.
Ripping on a radial arm saw is not nearly as safe as on a tablesaw. And as
far as using the radial arm saw as a router, forget it. Adjustment is crude
and the rotation speed is not fast enough for most router bits.

Unless you get an old DeWalt radial arm or one from The Original Saw
Company, radial arm saws are notorious for getting out of alignment
requiring frequent and lengthy realignment. That plus a table that can
warp, you have a saw that generally is not as accurate as a tablesaw. If
you look at professional woodworking shops, you will find very few that have
a radial arm saw.

Get a book such as - "The Tablesaw Book", by Kelly Mehler

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070552.asp

or

"Tablesaw: Methods of Work" by Jim Richey
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070497.asp

You will see how versatile a tablesaw can be.

Preston

"takashi" wrote in message
Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw.
Thank you in advance.

BiggMutt53

Radial arm saws have their place, and if you get a high quality one, i.e.,
commercial quality, $1200++, they can remain accurate and are flexible. Home
shop versions however are nortorious for falling out of alignment, due
principally to their many moving parts which, paradoxically, provide the
flexibility in design and use. I have one, which I principally use only for
crosscutting rough lumber prior to planing, and for some dado head work. I
bought a used sears machine for $150 and fixed it up. In my view, that's about
all it is worth. I would not, and after the first time, have not, used a RAS
to rip boards. Very scary operation, and in my opinion, difficult to
accomplish with saftey. I have a very healthy respect for every power tool I
turn on, and I just don't think a RAS is all that safe for complex operations.
Others may differ in their opinion, but I have been working with wood on
stationery power tools for over 15 years now and still have all ten fingers,
and I would like everyone to have the same experience. Save your money and buy
the best table saw your budget, and space limitations can afford - you will not
regret it. And by the way, use the blade guards, splitters, and make yourself
some feather boards and push sticks.

NuggetVille

Ripping is scary on a ras.
Rough crosscutting is easier than on a tablesaw. You hold the [10 foot
long] board still and move the saw, much easier.
I use a sled to cross cut wide boards on my tablesaw. you are limited to
about 16 inches of crosscut on a ras anyway.

Probably do well with a basic [cheap] mitersaw for rough cross cuts and
spend all you can afford on a tablesaw.
Oh, and buy a router, dont bother with the ras for that.

Got mine [old sears, heavy] for 125$ with a nice set of drawers underneath.
use the drawers more than the saw...

Cheers
Dave
"takashi" wrote in message
Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

Leon

I started with a RAS 25 years ago and built most the furniture in my house
with it.
Yes it can be more versatile. I used mine as a hormonal boring machine,
Shaper, Planer and a saw.
It was a PIA to use it for any thing but a saw.
Eventually I got a table saw and that was basically the end of me using a
RAS. 3 years later it was good bye to the RAS and for the last 12 years I
have not once missed it.

You will probably eventually end up with a TS so get a good one to start
with.

HarryM

I love my 1950-something DeWalt Power Shop, but I would not give up my table
saw if I had to make a choice. Ripping is scary on a RAS. Crosscuts are
limited to about 14" on mine [10" model]. But it's so convenient for
cutting narrow boards to length and cutting dadoes. I build wood toys, so I
am using a lot of small pieces of wood. Cutting 100 pieces of 3/4x2 lumber
to exactly 3 1/4" in length is much faster with a RAS. But ripping it to 2"
in width is a job I would not tackle on the RAS; that's a job for the table
saw. harrym

"takashi" wrote in message
Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

David A. Frantz

Hi Takashi;

Here is my take on your query.

1. You really haven't indicated what your interests are so everything
below can easly be called into question.

2. I look at RAS as old technology that may still be useful in some
applications but has many modern replacements. A RAS DOES NOT HAVE A
PLACE in the shop of a wood worker starting out.

3. The decision as to which major piece of machinery one should purchase
is difficult to make. Many people would reccomend a table saw, but that
was not the route I took. The route you take may be totally different
from everyone else.

4. In my case one of the first power tools that I purchased was a CMS.
Not so much for my interest in woodworking projects but for the reality
that I was doing alot of trim work around (remodeling) the house. This
just points out that sometimes your purchase will be driven by a projects
need.

5. Several year later I find myself buying not a table saw but a band
saw. The rational behind that purchase is specific to my interest.
First; there is no beter machine for riping/resawing rough cut lumber.
Second; I'm currently extremely limited in shop space, a permanently
installed table saw would take up to much space. Third a band saw, for
some operations, is cleaner and safer to use. Fourth any large panel typ
work that I may need to do I can still handle with my circular saw, on the
other hand a band saw can do things that I did not have a tool for.

So you see this is my perspective, for others it may be total garbage.
What you need to do is figure out where your interests are, how much space
you have and how much money you want to spend. In any event keep the
thought of a RAS out of your mind for now. That is unless you get a deal
at an auction or and estate sale, then all bets are off.

Dave

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:48:14 +0000, takashi wrote:

Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

Charlie Self

Leon writes:

Yes it can be more versatile. I used mine as a hormonal boring machine,

Inquiring minds want to know...but are afraid to ask! Whose hormones did you
bore?

Charlie Self

Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.
Dan Quayle

Unisaw A100

Leon:
Yes it can be more versatile. I used mine as a hormonal boring machine,

Charlie Self:
Inquiring minds want to know...but are afraid to ask! Whose hormones did you
bore?

A few years ago we'd come off a pretty nasty project and the
president of the company wanted to acknowledge the hard work
we'd done. His secretary wrote up a nice memo to the effect
and in it was the line, "People of your caliper are hard to
find". Her response was, "It passed the spell check".

UA100
Leon

ROTFLMAO..... DAMN spell checker.... And you of all people caught this
one...

Horizontal

Although....The other creates an interesting picture.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Leon writes:

Yes it can be more versatile. I used mine as a hormonal boring machine,

Inquiring minds want to know...but are afraid to ask! Whose hormones did

you
bore?

Charlie Self

Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and

child.
Dan Quayle

Leon

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Leon:
Yes it can be more versatile. I used mine as a hormonal boring machine,

Charlie Self:
Inquiring minds want to know...but are afraid to ask! Whose hormones did

you
bore?

A few years ago we'd come off a pretty nasty project and the
president of the company wanted to acknowledge the hard work
we'd done. His secretary wrote up a nice memo to the effect
and in it was the line, "People of your caliper are hard to
find". Her response was, "It passed the spell check".

UA100

Spell checkers should also be mind readers...

Phil Crow

Snip
Yes it can be more versatile. I used mine as a hormonal boring machine,

Snip

A hormonal boring machine? What, did you have a 16-year old doing work for you? g

-Phil Crow

Rumpty

By the time you get up to the price of a good new one a compound miter
saw is probably a much better value.

A RAS walks all over a CMS.

--

Rumpty

D.Martin

No doubt my choice is a table saw. But it also depends greatly on the
type of work you do. I found that most people that are into furniture
making will lean towards a table saw. I also have a sliding miter saw
which for me replaces the need for RAS.

D.Martin

rjs wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:48:14 GMT, takashi wrote:

Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

I have and use both. I got a radial arm saw first and was very
frustrated trying to use it as a universal machine. Now I have a Table
saw and the RAS is religated to 90 degree cross cuts only. A job that
it does superbly. Everything else goes to the table saw. That having
been said remember both tools are very dangerous and however
dangerous the RAS is I would guess the table saw is 5 times that
dangerous.

Once you have a table saw If you still want a RAS then look for a used
one there are lots of them out there. Hold out for one with a heavy
cast iron arm. Probably an old Dewalt or an older Craftsman. Do not
spend a lot of money ($50-$200 depending on a whole bunch of stuff.)
and do not buy the first one you look at. You should not be in a hurry
because already having a table saw it is a question of want not need.
By the time you get up to the price of a good new one a compound miter
saw is probably a much better value.
Regards
Bob

rjs

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:23:11 GMT, "Rumpty"
wrote:

By the time you get up to the price of a good new one a compound miter

saw is probably a much better value.

A RAS walks all over a CMS.

Well lets see, A new radial arm saw that is any good would have to
be one of those made from old dewalt castings and they cost what
$2800? A good sliding compound miter saw costs what 6-8 hundered
dollars? The Radial arm saw is only portable if you mount it on a
trailer and takes considerable room in your shop. the cms or scms are
portalble and take up very little room in your shop. if you get a good
one they are reasonably accurate. The cms or scms will not rip which
you can do with a RAS but I would prefer to spend $800 on a scms and
use the $2000 change to get a good cabinet saw rather than buy the
Dewalt clone.
Regards
Bob

rjs

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:49:55 GMT, "Rumpty"
wrote:

A decent used quality DeWalt can be purchased for under $500.

No doubt it can and I have no probem with that approch, I even
suggested buying a used one but the sentence you responded to
specifically spoke of new ones.

Bob said:

By the time you get up to the price of a good new one a compound miter
saw is probably a much better value.

BTW do you use your RAS for ripping? Perhaps using an extra long
accessory fence? If so how do you feel about that
process/combination? I ask because I have not tried ripping with my
currnet RAS and have never tried it with the long fence setup.
Regards
Bob

Oughtsix

I have a 10" Powermatic cabinet saw and a 16" rockwell Radial arm saw.

I use my RAS to:
crosscut wood
Dado
Miter
make tenons
cut steel
cut brick
cut concrete

I use my table saw to:
Rip

I would not want to be without either but "I" would probabally give up
my table saw first. Standard practice for me when cutting a piece of
stock to length is to cut a 1/4" off the end to start out with a nice
square cut and then measure and progressively cut the stock to the
lengths I want. I could not imagine trying to cut a 1/4" off the end
of 10" board with a table saw.

BTW: I paid $500 for my 16" 7.5 hp RAS and $750 for my 10" 3 hp
powermatic cabinet saw.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:48:14 GMT, takashi wrote:

Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

Dan

Hi Takashi,

My idea of the perfect shop would include 40 feet along one wall with a
radial arm saw in the center and 20 foot of bench on either side. I would
use it for cross cutting and ripping solid stock. I had a radial arm saw for
many years that had an auxiliary spindle for 1/4 inch router bits that ran
at 20,000 RPM. I used it a lot. I would also put my CMS somewhere close to
the radial arm saw. Space limitations have sent the radial arm saw on to
another owner.

I use a cabinet saw and a CMS for most of my work. I do sheet goods on
the back patio on saw horses with a circular saw then trim with the cabinet
saw. There are many different ways to do most any project. You can't go
wrong with a table saw and a router for getting started.

Dan

"takashi" wrote in message
Hi, I just started out woodworking. I am looking for a power tool which
is the most versitile of all. Some people recommended that I should buy
a table saw first, but others say that I can do more things, using a
radial arm saw. For example, a radial arm saw can be used to do both
cross-cutting and ripping. With some attachment, it can also be used as
a router. Since I can only buy one power tool at time, I am hoping that
somebody could give me a suggestion. Are the things that I said about a
radial arm saw correct?
Thank you in advance.

Glen

Sorta like the third pic here? I hear ya.

Glen

"Dan" wrote
My idea of the perfect shop would include 40 feet along one wall with a
radial arm saw in the center and 20 foot of bench on either side. I would
use it for cross cutting and ripping solid stock. SNIP