Mike S.

Default Re-vitalizing an X-Y table

Hello,

Last night while looking for a sheet metal roll former that Dad said
was up in the loft somewhere, I ran across an old X-Y table, or at least
something that resembles an X-Y table. It's fairly small, the table is
about 2" x 2" with 2 t-slots in it, the bottom slide has around a 3"
travel and the top slide might be a bit more. The top slide can also be
rotated to any arbitrary angle relative to the bottom slide. Through
prodigious use of penetrating fluid and a razor blade to scrape dust and
crud off, I got everything to move fairly smoothly once again and
managed to partially dissassemble it to get a better idea of it's
condition. The worst part of this table is the tail end of the upper
slide is extremely chewed up. I don't know what it was used for in the
past, but there are gouges from something like a saw blade going from
side-to-side (maybe about 1/16" deep at the worst), and the tail end
(away from the hand crank) looks to actually be cracked for about an
inch. The table will still slide over this area, it just takes a smidge
more force.

I'm more of a woodworker than a metalsmith (the most metalwork I've done
in a day so far was [OA] welding up some spiderweb wall sconces out of
3/16" rod) right now, but I would like to know how I would get this
table back into useable condition and what kind of grease/oil I should
use on it.

Thanks,
Mike

--
Natharias at lycos dot com

Jon Elson

Mike S. wrote:

[...]

It sounds like the positioner from a wafer dicing saw, used in the
semiconductor
industry for cutting apart the chips on semi wafers. (They do this a
different way,
now, that is simpler and leaves no kerf.)

I have no idea what you would use such a small XY table for, unless you
are making
watch or miniature parts. Without more info, I can't even recommend a lube.
If it uses a dovetail-type slide, way oil is probably the best. But, an
SAE 20 W
oil should do quite well, too.

Jon

jim rozen

In article , Mike S. says...

Last night while looking for a sheet metal roll former that Dad said
was up in the loft somewhere, I ran across an old X-Y table, or at least
something that resembles an X-Y table. It's fairly small, the table is
about 2" x 2" with 2 t-slots in it, the bottom slide has around a 3"
travel and the top slide might be a bit more. The top slide can also be
rotated to any arbitrary angle relative to the bottom slide.

There's a good chance that this may be a compound
slide for a lathe. See for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2563120771&category=12 72

Jim

please reply to:

Mike S.

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Mike S. says...

Last night while looking for a sheet metal roll former that Dad said
was up in the loft somewhere, I ran across an old X-Y table, or at least
something that resembles an X-Y table. It's fairly small, the table is
about 2" x 2" with 2 t-slots in it, the bottom slide has around a 3"
travel and the top slide might be a bit more. The top slide can also be
rotated to any arbitrary angle relative to the bottom slide.

There's a good chance that this may be a compound
slide for a lathe. See for example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2563120771&category=12 72

Jim

please reply to:

Actually, that looks extremely similar to the one I found. I don't know
who made mine though since the only markings I've found so far is a "2
0" stamped underneath the bottom slide. Kinda interesting since the
first thing that came to mind when I saw it was seeing if I could fit it
to my wood lathe. I've been meaning to get pics of it, but have not been
able to do so yet.

Jon Elson: Yes, it does have dovetail slides.

Grant Erwin: Maybe it is too small, but that doesn't mean I'm not
interested in seeing what I can do with it.

Thanks for the help all,
Mike

Eric R Snow

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:14:58 GMT, "Mike S."
wrote:

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Mike S. says...

[...]

Grant was right, that thing is useless. Send it to me and you won't
need to worry about having something useless hanging around.
ERS

Making a flat strong collapsing table Apteryx UK diy 3 July 21st 04 02:29 AM
Table Tennis table top roger UK diy 4 March 31st 04 11:53 AM
Rotary table help. Todd Rich Metalworking 1 October 6th 03 03:52 PM