BiggMutt53

Default Is a radial saw more versitile than a table saw?

Radial arm saws have their place, and if you get a high quality one, i.e.,
commercial quality, $1200++, they can remain accurate and are flexible. Home
shop versions however are nortorious for falling out of alignment, due
principally to their many moving parts which, paradoxically, provide the
flexibility in design and use. I have one, which I principally use only for
crosscutting rough lumber prior to planing, and for some dado head work. I
bought a used sears machine for $150 and fixed it up. In my view, that's about
all it is worth. I would not, and after the first time, have not, used a RAS
to rip boards. Very scary operation, and in my opinion, difficult to
accomplish with saftey. I have a very healthy respect for every power tool I
turn on, and I just don't think a RAS is all that safe for complex operations.
Others may differ in their opinion, but I have been working with wood on
stationery power tools for over 15 years now and still have all ten fingers,
and I would like everyone to have the same experience. Save your money and buy
the best table saw your budget, and space limitations can afford - you will not
regret it. And by the way, use the blade guards, splitters, and make yourself
some feather boards and push sticks.