Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saw Recommendations

I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.

I have yet to hear anything good about any of Delta's Shopmaster line
of tools.

The Ryobi BT3100 is exactly the same saw as a Craftsman model that I
have. One of the big selling points with this saw is the sliding miter
table. I am not a big fan of it - it is difficult to get it set at a
specific angle, there are no stops for common angles, and the cutting
capacity is way too small when cutting miters. The reason for the small
miter capacity is that the miter table is pretty wide, so the miter
gauge pivots about 6 or 7 inches away from the blade - with the miter
gauge set to 45 degrees, buy the time the workpiece gets to the blade
you are at the end of the table's travel.

Another thing to consider is that the saw does not have a standard
miter slot - so you cannot replace the sliding table with a standard
miter guage. I was able to purchase a small miter slot extension table
from Sears, but the slots in it are sloppy and don't end up working
very well.

Also, the table top on the saw is pretty small - once you start using
the saw a good bit, you will wish you had a bigger table.

If I were you, I would take a look at the next step up in saws. Have
you looked at the Rigid saws at Home Depot? I think that if you spent
another $75 - 100 on a better saw you would be MUCH happier in the long
run.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Ryobi saw.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.

You can do better for a few dollars more. Also consider the Ridgid,
Grizzly, Jet and Delta full sized contractor saws.

A 15A machine should be on a 20A line.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Jim is offline

wrote in message
I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.

Aren't both of them direct drive machines? If so, avoid both.

However, if I were to buy either, I would either follow the instructions in
the fine manual or put the machine on a 20A line. They do draw far more
current on startup than just 15 A.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keep saving your money. For "around" $800, you can get
a decent saw(contractor) with a excellent fence.

For $1200, you are getting real close to a big Unisaw or
a Jet.

Be patient with your money. Bigger is better in this case.

Go here and peek around at saws:

http://www.woodworker.com/

wrote:

I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A excellent saw for the money:

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=138-407

or

http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...PARTNUM=36-682

wrote:

I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.

Posted to rec.woodworking

What is the price of those saws? I'd recommend a used conventional
contractor saw (induction motor, belt drive) before either of those
choices. I've seen some people post that they like the BT3100 but
personally I don't find it appealing. If you can't find a sued saw in
your area check out Grizzly, or god forbid, I believe I'd even take a
good look at HFT's contractor saw before I'd get a universal motor
direct drive saw.

--
A man who throws dirt loses ground.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:

Another thing to consider is that the saw does not have a standard
miter slot - so you cannot replace the sliding table with a standard
miter guage.

While the BT3100 does not come with a mitre slot, it is possible to
add one via the accessory kit. It looks like it's also possible to
order[1] just the mitre slot via part number 4060310.

[1]: http://m-and-d.com/search.html?mv_se...060310&x=0&y=0

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:53:00 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

If you buy either one, you will be disappointed within 6 months.

I doubt it'll take six months, it'll just take the first project where
the saw bogs down trying to saw through anything or you actually have
to cut something decent sized and find out that the saws are
completely worthless for just about any woodworking project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:49:09 -0500, wrote:

I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.

Just a bit of experience I gained the hard way- be very leery of
Delta's "shopmaster" line. Don't get me wrong, they'll work- but they
are not what you'd expect from Delta by any stretch (much closer to
Black and Decker, IMO)

I don't know what kind of price the TS300 is going for these days, but
if you watch the sales carefully, and maybe try to snag a display
model, you may be able to upgrade to a low-end Delta "industral"
contractor's saw. You'll be much happier with it in the long term, if
it's possible to squeeze it into your budget.

I don't know about the Ryobi, just that the TS300 is a benchtop saw in
contractor's clothes. If you're looking for a price point, and want
to get the best performance you can, I've heard some very nice things
about the Bosch jobsite table saw- IIRC, it's in the same price
catagory as the ones you're contemplating, though you would have to
build a table for it if you want to make it into a stationary tool.

Either one should be fine on a dedicated 15amp line.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If you buy either one, you will be disappointed within 6 months.

I doubt it'll take six months, it'll just take the first project where
the saw bogs down trying to saw through anything or you actually have
to cut something decent sized and find out that the saws are
completely worthless for just about any woodworking project.

That's not entirely true.

I had a TS200 for several years, and putting a thin-kerf blade on it
and setting up each cut carefully allowed me to do many projects- even
using 8/4 hard maple.

The downside of the shopmaster line is in the materials, IMO. After
two years of careful use, the plastic handles were stripped out, a lot
of the paint was worn off the fence, the indicator guage on the fence
was gone (the screw stripped out almost immediately, and there was no
repairing it,) and the cam lock handle on the fence bent.

It was always too light for what I was doing, and I had to make a
stand for it that had a bar along the bottom in the front so that I
could place my foot on it while cutting to keep it from tipping.

And no standard accessories fit on shopmaster tools. The tables are
odd sizes, and so are the miter guages/slots, and there is no way to
upgrade them.

The problem wasn't the amount of power it had- that was sufficient,
considering what it was. Nor was it that it was not enough saw for
the money it cost- it was.
The problem was that I outgrew it, and it was never made for the long
haul in the first place.

If a shopmaster is what a guy can afford, then it's certainly better
than no table saw at all. Saying that is useless is more than a
little harsh- those little saws have their place, and a guy can do a
lot of nice work with one. It's just good to try and upgrade out of
that line if possible, to save yourself a few headaches.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus Gus is offline

On Nov 15, 7:49 am, wrote:
I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.

Do yourself a favor.

Forget all the anti-Sears bias on this newsgroup.

Go to Sears and look closely at the 22104, 22114 and 22124 hybrid saws.
I've had one for the past 2-3 yrs. Best money I ever spent.

Plus, you can often catch them on sale.

AAMOF, I bought my 22114 for about $425 after discounts, coupons, etc.

Try he

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...BV Cookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Table+Saws

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cat=Table+Saws

Yeah, yeah - the links are a bit long. I didn't feel like shortening
them.

Seriously, these saws are VERY good. They are made by Orion, which, as
I understand, is composed of ex-Delta employees. Unisaw throat plates
and accessories fit just fine.

Even the stock fence is good - the micro-adjuster is pretty much
worthless, but not needed anyway.

I have no connection with Sears, just a happy owner.

Good Luck

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hmmm, that's an interesting comment. Have you actually used one?

I've had its predecessor, the BT3000, for 7 years, completed many
projects, and have absolutely no complaints.

Yeah, the table surface is a bit on the small side but apart from that
it's a great package for the price.

Now, admittedly, I was seriously tempted by a Ridgid just the other day
on clearance.

wrote:

If you buy either one, you will be disappointed within 6 months.

I doubt it'll take six months, it'll just take the first project where
the saw bogs down trying to saw through anything or you actually have
to cut something decent sized and find out that the saws are
completely worthless for just about any woodworking project.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gus wrote:

On Nov 15, 7:49 am, wrote:
I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore
be fine on a dedicated 15A line.

Do yourself a favor.

Forget all the anti-Sears bias on this newsgroup.

Go to Sears and look closely at the 22104, 22114 and 22124 hybrid
saws. I've had one for the past 2-3 yrs. Best money I ever spent.

Plus, you can often catch them on sale.

AAMOF, I bought my 22114 for about $425 after discounts, coupons, etc.

Try he

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...0&vertical=Sea
rs&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Yes&vertical=
TOOL&pid=00922114000&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat= Table+Saws

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Yes&vertical=
TOOL&pid=00922124000&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat= Table+Saws

Yeah, yeah - the links are a bit long. I didn't feel like shortening
them.

Seriously, these saws are VERY good. They are made by Orion, which,
as I understand, is composed of ex-Delta employees. Unisaw throat
plates and accessories fit just fine.

Even the stock fence is good - the micro-adjuster is pretty much
worthless, but not needed anyway.

I have no connection with Sears, just a happy owner.

Good Luck

My brother-in-law's wife wanted to surprise him for his 60th brithday
with a new table saw. She asked for my help.She was willing to spend up
to $1000. I looked at Delta, Jet, and General at the local Woodcraft
store. There was a possible problem with delivery time. I also looked
at the Craftsman Professional all where about $1000. I then checked
Grizzly. Got G0478 Hybrid for $695+$90 freight into Boise,ID took three
business days out of their center in Bellingham,Wa. I assemabled it at
my house. An excellent saw for the money. Made me jealous. We have my
wife's ancient Craftsman. I'm holding out for a 12" cabinet saw. BTW he
was surprised. Jim