Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Table Saw Recommendations

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:49:09 -0500, wrote:

I am considering purchasing either the Ryobi BT3100 or the Delta
Shopmaster TS300. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Both of
these are 15 A machines and I am assuming that they will therefore be
fine on a dedicated 15A line.

Just a bit of experience I gained the hard way- be very leery of
Delta's "shopmaster" line. Don't get me wrong, they'll work- but they
are not what you'd expect from Delta by any stretch (much closer to
Black and Decker, IMO)

I don't know what kind of price the TS300 is going for these days, but
if you watch the sales carefully, and maybe try to snag a display
model, you may be able to upgrade to a low-end Delta "industral"
contractor's saw. You'll be much happier with it in the long term, if
it's possible to squeeze it into your budget.

I don't know about the Ryobi, just that the TS300 is a benchtop saw in
contractor's clothes. If you're looking for a price point, and want
to get the best performance you can, I've heard some very nice things
about the Bosch jobsite table saw- IIRC, it's in the same price
catagory as the ones you're contemplating, though you would have to
build a table for it if you want to make it into a stationary tool.

Either one should be fine on a dedicated 15amp line.