Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anti-Gloat - How my dogs ruined my day...

Last Thursday evening, we brought our two Labrador Retrievers to the
vet because they were both having ear problems. She prescribed a
medicine and gave us a little warning that sometimes the medicine make
some dogs pee a little more than usual.

When I got home from work on Friday my daughter told me that when she
got home from school, there was a pee puddle on the kitchen floor 4
feet wide x 6' long, which she dutifully cleaned up. No big deal -
the floor is vinyl and it just took a little work to clean up.

On Saturday morning, my neighbor called and asked if I could help him
with a small woodworking project. He brought his item over; we worked
on it and had it pretty much done except for cutting a few filler
strips on my new table saw in my basement shop.

This was table saw is my current pride and joy,. I upgraded to the big
Ridgid tablesaw from a small Makita benchtop model. This was after
carefully figuring what I needed and what I could afford and seeing
very good reviews for this saw. I saved for it by putting my leftover
pocket money in a tin at the end of every week. Three times I almost
had enough money to buy it but something came up in the family that
needed the money more than me getting the saw (graduation presents,
etc.). Finally, after more than two years, I was able to actually make
the purchase a few months ago. To me, it's a beautiful saw; smooth as
silk, very precise and one of my favorite tools. I really enjoy using
it.

So you can probably imagine the shock I felt as my neighbor and I
approached the saw in my basement shop and saw that the entire top was
covered with thick, crusty, bright orange rust. I couldn't imagine
where any water might have come from. There was a pipe above it, but
that was bone dry. There were no other possible source or signs of any
leaks. I got out my laser plumb bob and put it at what appeared to be
the center of where the rust started and it pointed up exactly to a
speaker wire, coming through a tiny hole in the floor - right under the
wall that the dogs gigantic pee puddle was up against. The ligh bulb
went on as it all came together. Th pee went under the baseboard, under
the sole plate and found the tiny speaker wire hole, right over my saw.
There is absolutely no one to blame except bad luck.

I scraped the crust off, steel wooled it, wiped it down with
penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is
gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's
like getting a brand new car keyed in a parking lot - a real kick in
the gut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Nov 2006 14:50:56 -0800, "Chuck" wrote:

[snippage]

I scraped the crust off, steel wooled it, wiped it down with
penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is
gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's
like getting a brand new car keyed in a parking lot - a real kick in
the gut.

Aren't you glad you got that out of the way? Now you can concentrate
on using the tool and not worrying about getting it marked up. Thank
your dogs for you.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
Aren't you glad you got that out of the way? Now you can concentrate
on using the tool and not worrying about getting it marked up. Thank
your dogs for you.

--
LRod

I have to say at the risk of sounding glib, I agree. Like the first
door ding in a new vehicle, it really hurts your feelings, but later
you don't even see it.

Two things: I have NEVER been in a well used, working shop that had
all tools in perfect cosmetic condition. When you use the crap out of
them, they dent, scratch, scuff, discolor, etc.

Second, if you really want to get that discoloration off, you can buy
the correct polishing grits and polish it to a mirror. Just a PITA,
could easily be done in an afternoon.

I do appreciate though, just how much that ****es one off. At least it
was an honest to Pete accident, and not one of stupid carelessness.
That would make it a little easier to bear.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message
On 13 Nov 2006 14:50:56 -0800, "Chuck" wrote:

[snippage]

I scraped the crust off, steel wooled it, wiped it down with
penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is
gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's
like getting a brand new car keyed in a parking lot - a real kick in
the gut.

Aren't you glad you got that out of the way? Now you can concentrate
on using the tool and not worrying about getting it marked up. Thank
your dogs for you.

--

I agree too! I know it sucks when you get that first dent, scratch, or rust
on a new tool, but now it is broke in so you can quit worrying and make some

Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
I scraped the crust off, steel wooled it, wiped it down with
penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is
gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's
like getting a brand new car keyed in a parking lot - a real kick in
the gut.

Aren't you glad you got that out of the way? Now you can concentrate
on using the tool and not worrying about getting it marked up. Thank
your dogs for you.

You know, I always heave a sigh of relief when my new car gets its first
scratch. Now, I may key the other guys car in revenge but after that first one,
my car is no longer virginal and I don't get angry over the small stuff again.
It's not like it was perfect (any more), right?

That being said: Get a supply of scotchbrite pads, some Bartender's Friend and
your random orbital sander and have at the top again. You can get it pretty
bright with a little work. Don't forget to follow with either Johnson's paste
wax or Boeshield. And don't forget to cawk the hole in the ceiling where the
**** storm rained in.

As for your dogs, I know some Korean folks who I'm sure would enjoy getting to
know them. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, since others have chimed in and I have a minute.................
Why on earth would you leave two good sized dogs, especially with known
problems, in the house.
I like dogs, but they are really an outdoor species, especially big bouncy
ones like yours!
Sure, come in to visit, maybe even sleep inside when it's cold, if they are
well mannered.
I hear dog/cat/house/car stories like this all the time. We had dogs in
Houston and had to bathe/dip them every week. Thank goodness for Frontline
now! It was way more work than thye were worth.
Most of today's kids are way too busy to be a friend to an animal and too
lazy to really care for one. And I have three kids, five grandkids, and ten
nieces/nephews, so I know whereof I speak.
Fence your yard, clean up tour saw, and build a nice doghouse!
Wilson
"Chuck" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Wilson wrote:
[...]

I am saving for the "Invisible Fence" now. Hope to have it done
sometime in January - but, being pets, the dogs will still live in the
house.
Chuck

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om, "Chuck" wrote:

I am saving for the "Invisible Fence" now. Hope to have it done
sometime in January - but, being pets, the dogs will still live in the
house.

We've had an Invisible Fence system in our yard for six or seven years now,
and it works great. Make sure you follow their instructions for training the
dogs to the fence. Labradors are smart dogs that are easy to train (of course
you probably already know this) and they'll catch on quickly. Our two (golden
retriever and a border collie/Australian shepherd cross) didn't take more than
a couple days to figure out where they shouldn't go.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Nov 2006 14:50:56 -0800, "Chuck" wrote:

Last Thursday evening, we brought our two Labrador Retrievers to the
vet. She prescribed a
medicine warning that sometimes the medicine make(s)
some dogs pee more than usual.

When I got home from work on Friday my daughter told me that when she
got home from school, there was a pee puddle on the kitchen floor 4
feet wide x 6' long

So you can imagine the shock I felt as I
approached the saw in my basement shop and saw that the entire top was
covered with thick, crusty, bright orange rust. I couldn't imagine
where any water might have come from. There was a pipe above it, but
that was bone dry. There were no other possible source or signs of any
leaks. I got out my laser plumb bob and put it at what appeared to be
the center of where the rust started and it pointed up exactly to a
speaker wire, coming through a tiny hole in the floor - right under the
wall that the dogs gigantic pee puddle was up against. The ligh bulb
went on as it all came together. Th pee went under the baseboard, under
the sole plate and found the tiny speaker wire hole, right over my saw.
There is absolutely no one to blame except bad luck.

I scraped, steel wooled it, wiped it down with
penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is
gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's a real kick in
the gut.

Dogs really do have quite a reservoir in them don't they? I recall a
time when my bassett hound left a large puddle in the kitchen. Not as
large as yours, but still impressive for a relatively little dog.

Anyway, Boeshield sells a kit at Woodcraft and probably other places
that contains an acid solution to remove rust and stains. And the
Boeshield itself does a pretty fair job of protecting the metal
surfaces from moisture.

Good luck with your saw.

BTW, is the top the only thing affected? None leaked inside to cause
internal problems?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chuck" wrote in message

penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is
gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's
like getting a brand new car keyed in a parking lot - a real kick in
the gut.

Could have been much worse ... it could have been blood stains on that table
saw, like the one's still on mine (it was a TS accident, but not in the
usual sense (no blade on the saw ... long story).

In any event, like scratches in a well used family table, these things
eventually become fond memories.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in message
Could have been much worse ... it could have been blood stains on that table
saw, like the one's still on mine (it was a TS accident, but not in the
usual sense (no blade on the saw ... long story).

*grin*

We used the garage to make wine this year- 500lbs of grapes. Well,
things got out of hand with the crusher and there was grape pomace
everywhere- including the bandsaw, table saw, work countertop... it
looks as if someone was beat to death in the garage. Funny thing about
red grapes...

Jason

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

We used the garage to make wine this year- 500lbs of grapes. Well,
things got out of hand with the crusher and there was grape pomace
everywhere- including the bandsaw, table saw, work countertop... it
looks as if someone was beat to death in the garage. Funny thing about
red grapes...

Yeah ... but all for a worthy cause! Wish I had the time.

My family used to make wine every year with the native grapes that grow wild
in S. Louisiana. Some folks have a martini, some a beer ... me, when the
daily sun goes down over the yardarm, I have my red wine!

Let us know how it turns out.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck wrote:
snip
I scraped the crust off, steel wooled it, wiped it down with
penetrating oil , leaving a heavy coat to soak. Most of the rust is
gone but it is stained all to hell and has some minor pitting. It's
like getting a brand new car keyed in a parking lot - a real kick in
the gut.

I'll second the recommendation to try Boeshields "Rust Off". I've used
this on a table that had a few spots of rust and was very impressed
with the results. Spray a bit on and you can watch it bubble up, kinda
like peroxide on a cut.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Yeah, my wife was chaffing about the dust in my workshop and decided to
vacuum and wipe up the dust. She did a good job but I didn't see it until
the next day. She had left a damp cleaning cloth on my jointer table. A nice
rust patch in a clean piece of cast iron.

Put a belt sander on your saw table with a medium to fine belt in it and run
it over your saw table. It won't take enough metal off to damage the surface
or make it non-flat but it will remove the rust patch and any fingerprints
and surface oxidization.

"Chuck" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Yeah, my wife was chaffing about the dust in my workshop and decided to
vacuum and wipe up the dust. She did a good job but I didn't see it until
the next day. She had left a damp cleaning cloth on my jointer table. A
nice rust patch in a clean piece of cast iron.

How did you manage to get your wife to clean up your workshop?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"efgh" wrote in message news:N9n6h.9359$C94.7920@edtnps82...

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Yeah, my wife was chaffing about the dust in my workshop and decided to
vacuum and wipe up the dust. She did a good job but I didn't see it until
the next day. She had left a damp cleaning cloth on my jointer table. A
nice rust patch in a clean piece of cast iron.

How did you manage to get your wife to clean up your workshop?

My wife did me a favor once and cleaned my shop. After six months of
marriage counseling we were able to reach an agreement and avoid getting
divorced! ;-)
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:43:48 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"efgh" wrote in message news:N9n6h.9359$C94.7920@edtnps82...

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Yeah, my wife was chaffing about the dust in my workshop and decided to
vacuum and wipe up the dust. She did a good job but I didn't see it until
the next day. She had left a damp cleaning cloth on my jointer table. A
nice rust patch in a clean piece of cast iron.

How did you manage to get your wife to clean up your workshop?

My wife did me a favor once and cleaned my shop. After six months of
marriage counseling we were able to reach an agreement and avoid getting
divorced! ;-)
Greg

My wife came to assist me once when I was at a difficult point in the
assembly of a blanket chest. I had built it with a hard maple field
floating in a cherry frame. I was going to drive the screws in the
hinges to attach the lid to the base. Naturally she dropped it (the
lid) causing it to break.

I ran screaming from the shop.

She will no longer assist me on any projects.
Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

"efgh" wrote in message
> [...]

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
[...]

The shop cleaning episode actually happened. I embellished the divorce part,
but it was not far off! It took months before I found everything back again.
Her sense of organization and mine are at totally opposite ends of the
spectrum! It was hard to be mad because she was going to help me out and
surprise me with a spotless shop. She did a great job, at hiding everything!
Afterwards I told her I loved her and appreciated the gesture, but stay the
!#*#$%! OUTA MY SHOP!
Greg

What's a gloat? dteckie Woodworking 0 September 5th 06 11:12 AM
GLOAT MAJOR GLOAT A REALLY BIG GLOAT jerry Woodworking 22 December 19th 04 05:33 PM
OT bad experience today Searcher Woodworking 211 October 23rd 04 06:10 PM
gloat gloat gloat (sort of) Silvan Woodworking 23 February 28th 04 06:18 AM
Gloat, gloat, gloat Joe C Woodworking 10 October 24th 03 12:24 AM