Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Accessory suggestions for the Multimaster

Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one
w/lotsa accessories). You know, I'm saving soooo much doing the
kitchen myself...

But, what additional accessories (or more of) should I add, that you
folks might find yourselves wishing you'd bought the first go 'round?

I know it depends on what you're gonna do with it, so my plans are
mostly stuff like - cutting holes in drywall, undercutting trim,
flooring, woodworking,... OK, wait a minute. A shorter list would be
what I'm not gonna use it for - automotive and marine (from their
site) stuff.

I'm ordering Tuesday (the Amazon rebate expires - unless y'all know a
better price somewhere else and would be willing to share), so time is
of the essence (my fault - shoulda posted this liast week, like I'd
thought about).

THanx
Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one
w/lotsa accessories). You know, I'm saving soooo much doing the
kitchen myself...

But, what additional accessories (or more of) should I add, that you
folks might find yourselves wishing you'd bought the first go 'round?

snip

ALL, yes I said "ALL", the carbide blade accessory kits as well as
sandpaper packages of the desired grit(s).

You can buy paper from other sources, but it won't stay attached as
well as the Fein paper.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
news
Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one
w/lotsa accessories). You know, I'm saving soooo much doing the
kitchen myself...

But, what additional accessories (or more of) should I add, that you
folks might find yourselves wishing you'd bought the first go 'round?

I know it depends on what you're gonna do with it, so my plans are
mostly stuff like - cutting holes in drywall, undercutting trim,
flooring, woodworking,... OK, wait a minute. A shorter list would be
what I'm not gonna use it for - automotive and marine (from their
site) stuff.

I'm ordering Tuesday (the Amazon rebate expires - unless y'all know a
better price somewhere else and would be willing to share), so time is
of the essence (my fault - shoulda posted this liast week, like I'd
thought about).

Get the dust extraction set 92602063023.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:03:02 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Renata wrote:
Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one
w/lotsa accessories). You know, I'm saving soooo much doing the
kitchen myself...

But, what additional accessories (or more of) should I add, that you
folks might find yourselves wishing you'd bought the first go 'round?

snip

ALL, yes I said "ALL", the carbide blade accessory kits as well as
sandpaper packages of the desired grit(s).

Like, E-cut, scraper, knife, round & segmented, rasps, grout?

Or, in kits I see, Super Professional, Tile, Profloor, & Profile.

Can you elaborate a tad?

Thanx
Renata

You can buy paper from other sources, but it won't stay attached as
well as the Fein paper.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:

Like, E-cut, scraper, knife, round & segmented, rasps, grout?

Or, in kits I see, Super Professional, Tile, Profloor, & Profile.

Can you elaborate a tad?

If it is carbide, buy it.

If it is HSS, who cares?

You will be amazed the uses you find for the Fein.

I bought ALL the blister packed carbide blades they offered at the
same time I bought the basic tool simply because $ volume discounts
offered by Amazon provided an economic incentive to do it that way.

Have fun.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

The kits really confuse the issue.

If you are not going to work with tile,
don't get that kit which is quite expensive.

The saw blades and sanding pads are a better
deal for many people. Those blades are damn
expensive when bought individually.

It depends on your initial ideas of using the
machine.

It does many things well "with" the proper attachments.

Which "package" are you getting ???

wrote:

Renata wrote:

Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one
w/lotsa accessories). You know, I'm saving soooo much doing the
kitchen myself...

But, what additional accessories (or more of) should I add, that you
folks might find yourselves wishing you'd bought the first go 'round?

snip

ALL, yes I said "ALL", the carbide blade accessory kits as well as
sandpaper packages of the desired grit(s).

Like, E-cut, scraper, knife, round & segmented, rasps, grout?

Or, in kits I see, Super Professional, Tile, Profloor, & Profile.

Can you elaborate a tad?

Thanx
Renata

You can buy paper from other sources, but it won't stay attached as
well as the Fein paper.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:

VSXL for ~$320

GOOD GOD GURDY!!

Boy have they raised prices.

I bought a variable speed unit with several accessories in a plastic
case for less the $200 about 1-1/2 years ago.

Will check the model number tomorrow and see what the current price is.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Renata wrote:

VSXL for ~$320

GOOD GOD GURDY!!

Boy have they raised prices.

I bought a variable speed unit with several accessories in a plastic
case for less the $200 about 1-1/2 years ago.

Will check the model number tomorrow and see what the current price is.

Lew

Forgot I have unit with me.

It is a MSxe 636 II purchased 3/1/05.

Added the carbide blade pack for tile, grout, etc.

Purchased from Amazon which was offering a significant discount if
purchase total exceeded $200-$250.

Looked briefly at Amazon site but can't readily find the difference
between mine and unit you are considering.

Maybe Feinus.com can help.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata, I hummed and hawed for a long time as well. But at the end of
the day, when you add everything up, the best deal is the 'Top":

BUT.. when you buy sawblades, for instance, the way to buy those are in
a 3-pack. WAY cheaper.
The sanding attachment with dust collection works flawlessly. You'll
find more and more uses for it as time goes on. All you have to do is
price the HSS Segment Saw Blade - 6 35 02 106 01 5, which is included
in the TOP kit and you'll see that it is the only way to go. (There are
now aftermarket knock-off blades available, but I have NO idea if they
are any good.)

MSXE 636 II TOP SET
The full works:
The answer to everything, the Top Set contains the carbide rasp for
tile work and the MiniCut kit for fine detailing. It also includes all
accessories needed to attach a dust extractor for a clean, dust-free
work environment.

Velcro backing pad
20 pieces assorted sandpaper
Rigid scraper blade
E-cut blade - 35mm single row
HSS segment saw blade
Carbide segment saw blade
Allen key & fastening screw set
Triangular carbide rasp-perforated
MiniCut & diamond sharpening kit
Perforated backing pad
20 pieces assorted perforated sandpaper
Dust extractor attachment
2 adaptors for domestic vacuums (27/32mm)
Customized metal carrying case

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 06:06:34 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Renata wrote:

VSXL for ~$320

GOOD GOD GURDY!!

Boy have they raised prices.

List is $436.00.

I bought a variable speed unit with several accessories in a plastic
case for less the $200 about 1-1/2 years ago.

Will check the model number tomorrow and see what the current price is.

Lew

Forgot I have unit with me.

It is a MSxe 636 II purchased 3/1/05.

They have a variety of 636 kits, and apparently 2 models - variable
speed and not.
http://feinus.com/multimaster/comparemultimaster.html

Looks like the main differences are what extra stuff comes in the kit,
and a plastic vs. metal case. Looks like mainly the addition of a
profile kit.

I figured the more stuff included the better, so I went for the works.
W/Amazon's 50 bucks off, it came to ~$270.

Gonna add the carbide Tile Kit (per recommendation here) for another
~$114, but waiting on another "sale". And, for the credit card to
roll over to next payment cycle.

Renata

Added the carbide blade pack for tile, grout, etc.

Purchased from Amazon which was offering a significant discount if
purchase total exceeded $200-$250.

Looked briefly at Amazon site but can't readily find the difference
between mine and unit you are considering.

Maybe Feinus.com can help.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 Nov 2006 05:59:16 -0800, "Robatoy" wrote:

Renata, I hummed and hawed for a long time as well. But at the end of
the day, when you add everything up, the best deal is the 'Top":

Yeah, I usually end up regretting not having gone for the upgrade for
what really isn't a whole lot more. Where I am waiting is on the
accessories for 2 reasons: wait and use it to see what stuff I really
need (though I can't disagree with the suggestions made here - carbide
stuff, et. al.); and 'cause I couldn't come up with another 30 bucks
to get to $150 and get the $25 rebate from Amazon. Gives my credit
card a tiny reprieve as well.

Renata

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:
Gonna break down and get the Fein Multimaster kit (the expensive one
w/lotsa accessories).

"Multimaster Top" here in the UK. It's a useful set of tools they
include and it's a very good saving over buying separate.

IMHO, don't buy any extra tools at the same time. Use the thing first,
see what it's all about. You can always buy more bits later and these
things are just too expensive to go chucking your money around with.
Besides, the really magic one is the segmented carbide sawblade (does
ceramic tiles on refurb work like nothing else) and that's in the Top
kit.