Posted to rec.woodworking

Default anyone tried "ergomates" instead of anti-fatigue mats?

At the local walking store saw a product called "Ergomates". Saw them
again recently in the Acklands Grainger catalog. Basically it appears
to be a form of anti-fatigue mat that straps over your existing footwear.

http://www.ergosusa.com/html/ergomates.html

They have two models, the "commercial" in white, or the "industrial" in
black.

Anyone ever use these?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:
http://www.ergosusa.com/html/ergomates.html
Anyone ever use these?

Haven't tried them, but $53?!? Sheesh. You can get some really
high-end cushioned insoles for that, or there was a tip in some recent
magazine where a guy just cut chunks of anti-fatigue mat (or foam
camping mat, softer but much cheaper) and glued them to the soles of
his "shop shoes".
For $53, you could cover a good part of your shop floor with real
anti-fatigue mats, which serve the added bonus of protecting any
dropped hand tools, and insulating your feet and your shop from the
cold ground.
The cheapest source I found for anti-fatigue matting when I was looking
recently was at northerntool.com, where I got 16 sq ft for $16
shipped. These are interlocking tiles of foam flooring. If I needed a
little larger size, the local Dick's sporting goods or Sports Authority
had 20 sq ft (I think) of "gym floor mat" for about $20, and I also saw
48 sq ft packages of exercise mat go for $35 or so (shipped) on eBay.
"Ergomates" are an interesting idea, but my first impression is that
they're ugly, overpriced, and an unnecessary hassle.
Sorry to butt in when I haven't used this particular product, but
hopefully my time spent shopping around for an inexpensive alternative
will be helpful to someone else.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
[snipped for brevity]
Sorry to butt in when I haven't used this particular product, but
hopefully my time spent shopping around for an inexpensive alternative
will be helpful to someone else.
Andy

I'm holding out for the introduction of the Kim Jong Il model. A solid
4" thick.
Comes with a CD of Elton John's Yellow Brick Road.

I would not want those things dangling on the bottom of my feet.
I cannot imagine them improving 'sure footing'... but I haven't tried
them.. just a hunch.

I'm happy with the honeycomb rubber mats from Costco. The sawdust falls
in the holes and prolongs the 'sure footedness' of the mat. As
mentioned, they do a great job protecting dropped tools... not that *I*
ever drop anything. My only beef is that the 'interlocking' of those
mats, isn't worth a hill of beans. Then again, at today's bean
prices?.. I digress

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:19:12 -0600, Chris Friesen
wrote:

At the local walking store saw a product called "Ergomates". Saw them
again recently in the Acklands Grainger catalog. Basically it appears
to be a form of anti-fatigue mat that straps over your existing footwear.

http://www.ergosusa.com/html/ergomates.html

They have two models, the "commercial" in white, or the "industrial" in
black.

Anyone ever use these?

Nope- and they wouldn't hold up to any use I'd have for them. Best
bet always has been, and still is, quality workboots. I like
Wolverines, a lot of folks swear by Redwings. They cost a bit of $$$,
but not signifigantly more than most kids pay for tennis shoes. Get
the right shoes, and anti-fatigue mats and the like are unneccesary- I
used to just get cheap boots, but have come to realise that they're
tools just like anything else- and you get what you pay for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Oct 24, 2006, 3:19pm (EDT-2) (Chris*Friesen)
doth sayeth:
At the local walking store snip

How do they keep it from wandering away? How many feet does it
have? Inquiring minds want to know.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Prometheus wrote:

Nope- and they wouldn't hold up to any use I'd have for them. Best
bet always has been, and still is, quality workboots. I like
Wolverines, a lot of folks swear by Redwings. They cost a bit of $$$,
but not signifigantly more than most kids pay for tennis shoes. Get
the right shoes, and anti-fatigue mats and the like are unneccesary- I
used to just get cheap boots, but have come to realise that they're
tools just like anything else- and you get what you pay for.

Yep. One thing that I've found to be *very* comfortable -- and not terribly
expensive, either -- is ordinary run-of-the-mill GI boots.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:

How do they keep it from wandering away? How many feet does it
have? Inquiring minds want to know.

It's made of sentient pearwood and the previous owner is buried in the
basement so it never wants to go anywhere.

Next I suppose you'll be claiming that there have been sightings of
orangutan hanging around the store saying, "Oook."

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 8:19am (J.*Clarke) doth
sayeth:
It's made of sentient pearwood snip

Damn, that's an expensive building.