Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default anyone tried "ergomates" instead of anti-fatigue mats?

Chris Friesen wrote:
http://www.ergosusa.com/html/ergomates.html
Anyone ever use these?

Haven't tried them, but $53?!? Sheesh. You can get some really
high-end cushioned insoles for that, or there was a tip in some recent
magazine where a guy just cut chunks of anti-fatigue mat (or foam
camping mat, softer but much cheaper) and glued them to the soles of
his "shop shoes".
For $53, you could cover a good part of your shop floor with real
anti-fatigue mats, which serve the added bonus of protecting any
dropped hand tools, and insulating your feet and your shop from the
cold ground.
The cheapest source I found for anti-fatigue matting when I was looking
recently was at northerntool.com, where I got 16 sq ft for $16
shipped. These are interlocking tiles of foam flooring. If I needed a
little larger size, the local Dick's sporting goods or Sports Authority
had 20 sq ft (I think) of "gym floor mat" for about $20, and I also saw
48 sq ft packages of exercise mat go for $35 or so (shipped) on eBay.
"Ergomates" are an interesting idea, but my first impression is that
they're ugly, overpriced, and an unnecessary hassle.
Sorry to butt in when I haven't used this particular product, but
hopefully my time spent shopping around for an inexpensive alternative
will be helpful to someone else.
Andy