Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill Press - Mobile Base??

I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house.
One of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET
rep. advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but
it is pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences
with the floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"David Bridgeman" wrote in message
. ..
I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house. One
of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET rep.
advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but it is
pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences with the
floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

I have a 17" DP on a mobile stand that I made. At the corners of the stand,
I mounted 1/2" bolts that I screw down to stabilize the stand.
In the rare circumstance that I want to move the DP, I retract the bolts and
move the DP *very carefully*. I can e-mail you a photo if you wish.

Max
--
Want change? Vote out the incumbents.

Posted to rec.woodworking
S S is offline

Max wrote:
"David Bridgeman" wrote in message
. ..

I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house. One
of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET rep.
advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but it is
pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences with the
floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

I have a 17" DP on a mobile stand that I made. At the corners of the stand,
I mounted 1/2" bolts that I screw down to stabilize the stand.
In the rare circumstance that I want to move the DP, I retract the bolts and
move the DP *very carefully*. I can e-mail you a photo if you wish.

Max

I did basically the same thing for a smaller DP. The homemade base is
bolted to the DP base (not simply sitting on it). Two fixed rollers at
the rear, two swivel rollers at the front and 1/2" bolts through square
steel "tubing" and plywood. The thing should be very solid because any
flex "amplifies" up at the table height.

I also keep the spare vises and a bag of sand on the base.

- S
Posted to rec.woodworking

This concern has been posted here several times over the past couple of
years. Generally the the advice is to use caution or not use a mobile base
at all. The smallest obstruction (joint in shop floor of even a piece of
wood) can catch the wheels and lead to tipping a top-heavy machine. I have
always considered my DP to be one of the smaller footprints in the shop and
find a place to place it full-time. Granted, it finds a new home from time
to time but not on wheels.

RonB

"David Bridgeman" wrote in message
. ..
I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house. One
of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET rep.
advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but it is
pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences with the
floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the replys. I just put the beast together and am
surprised at how little a tilt shifts the weight. I think for now I
will leave it in one spot. Luckily, I have a tool cart that is about 5"
off the ground (raised for an outfeed table) that rolls right over the
base, so I don't loose much real estate at all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
"David Bridgeman" wrote in message
. ..
I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house. One
of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET rep.
advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but it is
pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences with the
floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

I have a 17" DP on a mobile stand that I made. At the corners of the stand,
I mounted 1/2" bolts that I screw down to stabilize the stand.
In the rare circumstance that I want to move the DP, I retract the bolts and
move the DP *very carefully*. I can e-mail you a photo if you wish.

Max

As I posted below, I think I will leave the DP grounded for now. I
would like to see a picture of your setup. Just remove the CUTHERE from
my email address.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"David Bridgeman" wrote

As I posted below, I think I will leave the DP grounded for now. I would
like to see a picture of your setup. Just remove the CUTHERE from my
email address.

Dave

They're on the way.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

David Bridgeman wrote:
I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house.
One of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET
rep. advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but
it is pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences
with the floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

I have an HTC mobile base on mine. I only move it maybe once every 2
years..

My drill press required that you mount the drill press base on a fairly
large piece of 3/4 plywood in order to help stablity. The bigger
footprint makes it stable, even on a mobile base.

There's no way in hell I'd put it on a mobile base without the bigger
plywood "foot".

Posted to rec.woodworking

David Bridgeman wrote:
I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house.
One of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET
rep. advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but
it is pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences
with the floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

Here is my solution to that problem - use at your own risk:

http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworkin...istMobileBase/

Tim Daneliuk
PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Daneliuk wrote:
David Bridgeman wrote:
I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house.
One of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET
rep. advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but
it is pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences
with the floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

Here is my solution to that problem - use at your own risk:

http://www.tundraware.com/Woodworkin...istMobileBase/

Tim,

I actually found your site by googling before my original post. I can
see how it works but that setup frightens me a bit. Thanks for the
response.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

bf wrote:
David Bridgeman wrote:
I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house.
One of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET
rep. advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but
it is pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences
with the floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

I have an HTC mobile base on mine. I only move it maybe once every 2
years..

My drill press required that you mount the drill press base on a fairly
large piece of 3/4 plywood in order to help stablity. The bigger
footprint makes it stable, even on a mobile base.

There's no way in hell I'd put it on a mobile base without the bigger
plywood "foot".

I think I will leave it on the floor for now. I may try a mobile base
with a larger plywood foot as you mentioned. Thanks for the response.

Dave