Posted to rec.woodworking
David Bridgeman David Bridgeman is offline

Default Drill Press - Mobile Base??

bf wrote:
David Bridgeman wrote:
I just bought the JET 17" floor model at the local dealer open house.
One of the displays was on a mobile base. Both the dealer and the JET
rep. advised against using one. I initially didn't think about it but
it is pretty top heavy. Does any one have any good or bad experiences
with the floor model DP on a mobile stand?

Dave

I have an HTC mobile base on mine. I only move it maybe once every 2
years..

My drill press required that you mount the drill press base on a fairly
large piece of 3/4 plywood in order to help stablity. The bigger
footprint makes it stable, even on a mobile base.

There's no way in hell I'd put it on a mobile base without the bigger
plywood "foot".

I think I will leave it on the floor for now. I may try a mobile base
with a larger plywood foot as you mentioned. Thanks for the response.

Dave