Posted to rec.woodworking

Default lazy susan bearing

Hi,

I have been lurking for a while now, picking up lots of useful stuff whilst
building a kitchen using Jim Tolpins book. I'm approaching the home straight
now - after a three month diversion learning how to square up 130 pieces of
oak ( http://www.flashgorman.com/woodwork/work4.jpg ) - and am fitting out
the inside of the cupboards.

I have made some wooden carousels to go in some of the corner cupboards and
have bought some lazy susan bearings to get them to spin.

I have bought some of these
http://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/aca...-LazySusan.jpg and can't work
out how to fit them. I have 60cm diameter circles of wood that are mounted
on shelves running from the front to the back of the cupboard. But ...

if I screw the bearings to the circles of wood then I can't get at the screw
holes on the bottom of the bearing to fit them to the shelf. All I can think
of is a bolt running from the underneath of the shelf - but theres not a lot
of room for the nut or drilling holes in the circles of wood to allow access
to the holes on the bootom bearing plate.

I can't help thinking there is an easier way but don't know what. The
bearing plates are pressed together and won't come apart.

TIA

Flash Gorman.
No job too small. Plenty too big. Will write for food.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"flash" wrote in message ...
if I screw the bearings to the circles of wood then I can't get at the screw
holes on the bottom of the bearing to fit them to the shelf. All I can think
of is a bolt running from the underneath of the shelf - but theres not a lot
of room for the nut or drilling holes in the circles of wood to allow access
to the holes on the bootom bearing plate.

It looks like the shelves have already been installed and that you do not
have easy access to the bottom side of at least some of the shelves. If so
then I recommend the following procedu

Mount a bearing to the bottom of a circle of wood. Then drill a hole in
the circle of wood so that the hole lines up with the mounting holes in the
bottom of the swivel bearing. The hole needs to be large enough so that the
screws which will be used to attach the bottom mounting to the shelf can
fit through the hole. Insert a screw for the bottom mounting plate through
the hole and drive it into the shelf. Rotate the circle of wood and install
each of the remaining screws. Finally, fill the hole with a wood plug to
match the circle of wood.

If you do have access to the bottom of the shelves, then the procedure above
can be used except that the hole is drilled into the shelf instead of the circle
of wood. This eliminates the appearance problem caused by the presence of
the wood plug.