Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Goncalo Alves used for interior of horse stalls

Does anyone know if this wood is toxic to horses? I would like to use
it for the interior of my barn including the stalls. I plan on having
2" thick wood planed and either joined or T&G added so the boards will
be flush. Metal channels will be on all edges so they can't chew the
wood.

In case you're wondering, I found this wood at a local store. It dried
too fast and has some checking. They want to get rid of it because
while it still has some nice stripes, it's not as heavily striped as
they want. That, in addition to the checking (that can be planed out)
it's cheaper than pine.

SO.. will my horse get sick if he licks this wood?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"backinthesaddle2006" wrote in message

SO.. will my horse get sick if he licks this wood?

Call your local county extension agent, or an equine veterinarian.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"backinthesaddle2006" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know if this wood is toxic to horses? I would like to use
it for the interior of my barn including the stalls. I plan on having
2" thick wood planed and either joined or T&G added so the boards will
be flush. Metal channels will be on all edges so they can't chew the
wood.

In case you're wondering, I found this wood at a local store. It dried
too fast and has some checking. They want to get rid of it because
while it still has some nice stripes, it's not as heavily striped as
they want. That, in addition to the checking (that can be planed out)
it's cheaper than pine.

SO.. will my horse get sick if he licks this wood?

I don't know about Goncalo Alves, but during a visit to a local sawmill, I
was told that horses will not crib on red oak. I had a cribbing horse and if
I had known this, it would have saved me a lot of anxiety and expense.

If you buy the red oak rough from a mill, using inferior grades suitable for
stalls and corrals, it isn't that expensive. When your dealing with $1,200
to $12,000 animals, it is worth the consideration.

I've never had one of the expensive horses, but if you add the vet bills,
they got expensive. My buckskin quarter horse was really registered as APHA
(American Pet Horse Association). They are the most expensive kind of horse,
sort of like my Black Lab, :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

I don't know about Goncalo Alves, but during a visit to a local sawmill, I
was told that horses will not crib on red oak. I had a cribbing horse and

if
I had known this, it would have saved me a lot of anxiety and expense.

A horse with a really bad habit of cribbing will/can crib in mid-air, with
_nothing_ to bite on.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:31:05 GMT, "Lowell Holmes"
wrote:

"backinthesaddle2006" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The last time I built box stalls for my mother's horses I got a mixed
load of 8/4 red and white (green and rough).

It didn't seem to make a bit of difference to the resident cribber
which got chewed on.

I got out the brake and bent up some caps out of some galvie sheet
stock.

Sumbitch chewed that too.

There's no curing stall walkers and cribbers, I guess.

(ps - never buy anything that eats.)

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

There's no curing stall walkers and cribbers, I guess.

Not really, IME. There is a collar with a hinged device that goes under the
neck. When the horse tightens his neck muscles to suck in, it pinches the
hell out of the windpipe ... still only marginally successful.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 18:56:39 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

There's no curing stall walkers and cribbers, I guess.

Not really, IME. There is a collar with a hinged device that goes under the
neck. When the horse tightens his neck muscles to suck in, it pinches the
hell out of the windpipe ... still only marginally successful.

That collar did not work. Next idea. Well actually not. Cribbing is
supposed to releae some endophine I think. Kind of hard to stop
pleasure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

There's no curing stall walkers and cribbers, I guess.

Not really, IME. There is a collar with a hinged device that goes under the
neck. When the horse tightens his neck muscles to suck in, it pinches the
hell out of the windpipe ... still only marginally successful.

That collar did not work. Next idea. Well actually not. Cribbing is
supposed to releae some endophine I think. Kind of hard to stop
pleasure.

We could insist that horses get married.

That usually stops it.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

There's no curing stall walkers and cribbers, I guess.

Not really, IME. There is a collar with a hinged device that goes under
the
neck. When the horse tightens his neck muscles to suck in, it pinches the
hell out of the windpipe ... still only marginally successful.

That collar did not work. Next idea. Well actually not. Cribbing is
supposed to releae some endophine I think. Kind of hard to stop
pleasure.

The collar didn't work for me either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"backinthesaddle2006" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

I guess that mill owner wanted to sell wood. I can't imagine him telling me
a story like that. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in

"Jim Behning" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

There's no curing stall walkers and cribbers, I guess.

Not really, IME. There is a collar with a hinged device that goes
under the
neck. When the horse tightens his neck muscles to suck in, it pinches
the hell out of the windpipe ... still only marginally successful.

That collar did not work. Next idea. Well actually not. Cribbing is
supposed to releae some endophine I think. Kind of hard to stop
pleasure.

The collar didn't work for me either.

Can't help myself. Do you still crib or stall walk? Bear in mind that I
don't have the foggiest idea what cribbing and stall walking is.
Hank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes"

The collar didn't work for me either.

You're supposed to put it on the horse.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Henry St.Pierre" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"Lowell Holmes" wrote in

"Jim Behning" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

There's no curing stall walkers and cribbers, I guess.

snip

The collar didn't work for me either.

Can't help myself. Do you still crib or stall walk? Bear in mind that I
don't have the foggiest idea what cribbing and stall walking is.
Hank

A cribbing horse is one that chews on the wood in a stall or fence at a
detriment to itself. Once the habit is formed, it can't be stopped. You can
tell a horse that cribs by a thickened neck and possibly by wear on their
teeth.

In a horse lover's family, a horse will rank in line right after the
family's children often ahead of the dog's in the family. It seems that most
horse owners also have dogs and cats. Most horse owners even like
Republicans. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

A cribbing horse is one that chews on the wood in a stall or fence at a
detriment to itself. Once the habit is formed, it can't be stopped. You

can
tell a horse that cribs by a thickened neck and possibly by wear on their
teeth.

A horse can chew on wood without being a cribber. Cribbing is much worse as
it involves grabbing onto something (usually wood, but can be the edge of a
bucket or plastic feed bin) with the upper front teeth, flexing the neck
muscles and larynx, and gulping air.

What we called "wind suckers" do the same thing with the same effect, but
don't need something to grab onto.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

backinthesaddle2006 wrote:

Does anyone know if this wood is toxic to horses?

My horses don't crib and it was going to be put into steel channels so
there won't be a place to chew directly on the wood.

I was mainly worried about them licking it.

btw... I went and picked up a board of this wood today. It's
beautiful, BUT, it has deep checks in it. It doesn't seem to hurt the
strength, but should I be concerned aobut the deep checks going all the
way through over time?

The other question is how much will it cost me to get Tongue and
Grooves put into these boards? I need it to be dimensioned and T&G
and maybe planed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in

"Henry St.Pierre" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"Lowell Holmes" wrote in

"Jim Behning" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

There's no curing stall walkers and cribbers, I guess.

snip

The collar didn't work for me either.

Can't help myself. Do you still crib or stall walk? Bear in mind that
I don't have the foggiest idea what cribbing and stall walking is.
Hank

A cribbing horse is one that chews on the wood in a stall or fence at
a detriment to itself. Once the habit is formed, it can't be stopped.
You can tell a horse that cribs by a thickened neck and possibly by
wear on their teeth.

In a horse lover's family, a horse will rank in line right after the
family's children often ahead of the dog's in the family. It seems
that most horse owners also have dogs and cats. Most horse owners even
like Republicans. :-)

Thanks for the info. I haven't been around horses to any degree. I
remember riding one (or bouncing along on top of one) at a stable about
50 yrs ago.
What is stall walking?