Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Possible gloat and a question

I just acquired a band saw, a table saw and a belt/disk sander.
Details as follows:

Band saw: 14 inch 3/4 horse power Durex Industrial model 39 made in
1990.

Table saw: Rockwell Beaver made in Canada. Table is cast iron (weighs
a ton) motor is outboard 14 amp Franklin Electric. I can't see any
model numbers or dates.

Belt/disk sander: Sears Craftsman, model# 113.22590C driven by large
motor under the stand.

I got all three for $300 Canadian! Is this a gloat??

Now my question. I already own a table saw, Sears Craftsman 3.0 max
horse power, which I bought new for around $300 two years ago. The top
is aluminum, 15 amp inboard motor, side extensions and dust bag.
The Rockwell saw is certainly not fancy but it is extermely solid.
Which one should I keep and which one should I dispose of?

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

Posted to rec.woodworking

jack wrote:
[...]

I'd say the Rockwell. Your Craftsman sounds like a direct drive
universal motor. The Rockwell should have an induction motor and sounds
like a contractor saw. Assuming the Rockwell is in good condition, that
is a step up in capability and a major step up in quality.

Please note that I have neither owned or used either saw.

Jess.S

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now my question. I already own a table saw, Sears Craftsman 3.0 max
horse power, which I bought new for around $300 two years ago. The top
is aluminum, 15 amp inboard motor, side extensions and dust bag.
The Rockwell saw is certainly not fancy but it is extermely solid.
Which one should I keep and which one should I dispose of?

Best Regards,
Jack Fearnley

I'll take the old rockwell. I don't need a fancy new saw like your
sears. When can I come get it?

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
jack wrote:
[...]

Unless there is something seriously wrong with it, the Rockwell is by
far the better saw for woodworking IMHO.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12 Oct 2006 12:34:07 -0700, "jack" wrote:

I just acquired a band saw, a table saw and a belt/disk sander.
Details as follows:

Band saw: 14 inch 3/4 horse power Durex Industrial model 39 made in
1990.

Table saw: Rockwell Beaver made in Canada. Table is cast iron (weighs
a ton) motor is outboard 14 amp Franklin Electric. I can't see any
model numbers or dates.

Belt/disk sander: Sears Craftsman, model# 113.22590C driven by large
motor under the stand.

I got all three for $300 Canadian! Is this a gloat??

Yep, it's a gloat, at least in my eyes.

Now my question. I already own a table saw, Sears Craftsman 3.0 max
horse power, which I bought new for around $300 two years ago. The top
is aluminum, 15 amp inboard motor, side extensions and dust bag.
The Rockwell saw is certainly not fancy but it is extermely solid.
Which one should I keep and which one should I dispose of?

Do you have to dispose of either?

If it were me, I'd keep the Rockwell. Not sure how Rockwell Beaver
differs from Delta Rockwell, but if they're similar in any way (and I
suspect they are) it's a superb saw. Don't know that I'd toss my new
Delta away if I aquired one, but I'd definately keep the vintage tool,
even if I had to build an addition to house it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jesse R Strawbridge wrote:
jack wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for the replies so far. Could you please explain what is
a direct drive universal motor and why it isn't as good as an induction
motor? I know very little about motors. How can I tell if the Rockwell
has an induction motor?

Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Oct 2006 18:22:35 -0700, "jack" wrote:

Snip

Thanks to all for the replies so far. Could you please explain what is
a direct drive universal motor and why it isn't as good as an induction
motor? I know very little about motors. How can I tell if the Rockwell
has an induction motor?

A direct drive has carbon "brushes" that contact the drive shaft of
the motor. These can usually be removed for replacement when they go
bad- so the easiest way (for me) to tell the difference is by looking
for a pair of big screw heads on the outside of the motor where the
brushes are inserted.

There's no particular reason why a universal motor is "better" than an
induction one- they are two different things, and each have their
uses.

A universal motor operates by passing current directly to the center
spindle via carbon brushes. They have a tendancy to spark a little
(how much depends on the motor) especially when you first hit the on
button. They are louder and usually have a proprietary casing that
makes them a little harder to replace, but they are also smaller and
less expensive. They're good for power hand tools, where weight and
size can be important factors.

An induction motor uses magnetic fields to turn the center spindle-
there is no sparking, and they tend to be much quieter and deliver a
little more power. They are also easier to replace, as they tend to
come in a more standardized range of shapes and sized- and they sell
them at most good hardware stores. But they are larger and heavier,
and considerably more expensive. They're excellent for stationary
tools, like the table saws that started this thread, where you don't
have to carry them around.

There are plenty of folks here that have more knowledge on the subject
than I do, and I'm sure I've got a thing or two wrong in the above
explanation, but I think I hit the major points.

Hope this helps!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus wrote:
[...]

Yes, that helps a lot and it must be an inducton motor. I have been
searching the web and I think my saw is a lot like a Rockwell
International model 6002. It uses a 9" diameter blade whereas most
saws today seem to use 10" blades. Might this become a problem or can
I use 10" blades in the Rockwell?

I am curious about Rockwell, did they get absorbed by Delta or are they
still around?

In my original posting I also mentioned the band saw which is a 14 inch
3/4 horse power Durex Industrial model 39 made in 1990. Does anyone
know anything about this company and its products? I have looked on
the web without much luck. Any attempts to Google "Durex" just buries
one in condoms! :-)

Jack