Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 136

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

794. Some sort of recording phonograph. I'm guessing a form of
dictaphone.
796. phone jack.
Karl

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

793. A scraper of some kind. Offset handle for working at floor level
methinks.
794. A dictaphone, or other type of recorder.
795. ???
796. RJ-11 modular connector

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:40:42 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

794 would be a Dictaphone.

796 would be a RJ11 plug
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

793. I'm guessing it's used to get the accurate and uniform spacing for
putting up wood siding/clapboard.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#793 Stanley Clapboard Gauge. Used to space clapboards.
#794 Edison voicewriter. Just saw one on mythbusters yesterday. 30's dictaphone.
#795 A latch of some type?
#796 RJ11 jack
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#793 Stanley Clapboard Gauge. Used to space clapboards. #794 Edison
voicewriter. Just saw one on mythbusters yesterday. 30's dictaphone.
#795 A latch of some type?
#796 RJ11 jack

Plug.

;-)
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:40:42 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

A guess for 795. You put it into something, turn the screw to push the
lugs out, and then pull it to remove the thing you've pushed it into
from some other thing into which it fits snuggly.

Hmm, having written that it's not much of a guess.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
My Reply-To address *is* valid, though likely to die soon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , R.H.
wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

794: For recording old audio cylinders? Early dictaphone?

796: RJ11 phone jack (male)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As usual -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

793) Perhaps for cutting or scoring a groove in the edge of
something wooden?

A closer look at both ends of the blade clamped in it might help
somewhat.

794) A *very* old office dictation machine. It looks as though it
uses something like Edison cylinders.

795) This looks as though its function is to slide in a square tubing,
and then to be locked at a certain extension. Perhaps it is to
be an extendible leg on some furniture?

796) A "modular phone plug" model RJ-11. (RJ-13 is the six-conductor
one, and RJ-45 is the eight conductor one, which is used for
twisted pair ethernet among other things.

A somewhat narrower version is used for handset cords for phones
of a certain age.

797) It looks as though it is intended to pull chain links together,
perhaps to allow a "repair" link to be installed. And, at a
guess, the two notches in the faces of the flat jaws are to
close an opened link once it is in place.

798) The end of the pocket knife looks as though it is is intended
to smooth a surface by rocking back and forth in contact with
it.

Perhaps for burnishing paper which has been erased by scraping
off the ink? In that case, the blades might be to cut a new
point in a quill pen?

Now to see what others have said.

When can you safely go back to the Roman numerals? They make
this thread easier to find -- but obviously you don't want them
classified as porn spam, which I believe was the reason to abandon
temporarily the Roman numerals in the first place.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

796) A "modular phone plug" model RJ-11. (RJ-13 is the six-conductor
one, and RJ-45 is the eight conductor one, which is used for
twisted pair ethernet among other things.

Actually, the "RJ" numbers are wiring patterns for specific
applications, not the connectors. They are named *p*c, for the number
of postions and the number of conductors.

A somewhat narrower version is used for handset cords for phones
of a certain age.

That is the 4P4C wired as a four conductor handset cord. The one in
picture 796 is the 4P4C, as used for handsets.

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/wiring.aspx is a link to some
common RJ numbers.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Correct answers so far:

793. Stanley clapboard gauge

794. Ediphone dictation machine

795. Not sure about this tool yet

796. Telephone plug

797. One of the functions of this multi-tool is a can opener, but I don't
know if the wrench is for a specific purpose. I haven't had time to search
the patent date.

797. Also don't know about the pocket knife.

I'm going to be away from my computer until sometime on Saturday, I'll post
the answer page tomorrow night.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

794: is a "record" recorder. It was used to create I believe 78 rpm
albums. These were quite the rage.

796: in its current configuration thats a "line cord" for a RJ-14 or
RJ-25 jack. Better known as a telephone cord. Because it does NOT have
only 2 wires it would not typically be used with an RJ-11 jack, though
it could be. IF you only were interested in the "1st line" The wiring
is inside to out. Meaning the inner two wires would be line 1 (
Red/green ) and the outer two would be "line 2" (yellow/black.).
ORINGALLY yellow was a power line for the lighting circuitry on the
"princess" style phones with the black providing the ground as the
"dialtone" on a landline phone is -48vdc.

798: has all the "looks" of a barlow knife. The rounded hammer head
suggests a shaping usage.

Troy

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Michael A. Terrell :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

796) A "modular phone plug" model RJ-11. (RJ-13 is the six-conductor
one, and RJ-45 is the eight conductor one, which is used for
twisted pair ethernet among other things.

Actually, the "RJ" numbers are wiring patterns for specific
applications, not the connectors. They are named *p*c, for the number
of postions and the number of conductors.

Hmm ... the phone company (the originator of these, IIRC) uses
RJ-48 for both of the wiring patterns on the identical connector for a
feed from a T1 box on the side of the house to the DSU in the house.
The only difference is the suffix which indicates the differing wiring
pattern for the transmit and receive pairs. The one which I am using is
RJ-48C. I forget what the other one was.

However -- the 8-pin connector involved is usually referred to
as a RJ-45

A somewhat narrower version is used for handset cords for phones
of a certain age.

That is the 4P4C wired as a four conductor handset cord. The one in
picture 796 is the 4P4C, as used for handsets.

I don't believe so. The one shown has the fatter side walls,
producing a connector the same width as the 6-pin version. You can see
the grooves which would accept the extra blades (and in this case,
simply prevent damage to the wire pins in a 6-conductor jack).

The 4-pin used in the handsets (at least in the old ITT one in
my hand at the moment) is narrower, and does not have the unused grooves
outside the four in actual use.

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/wiring.aspx is a link to some
common RJ numbers.

But -- it does not show the RJ-13, and a Google search for that
seems to be confused by someone who has been posting under the name
"rj13".

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

795: Looks to me like this is a set of quoins used to tighten moveable
printing type in a chase to keep the type from falling out while in the
printing press.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

Hi, all

I've been lurking here for a bit, but haven't posted before. I don't
know what 795 is, but I'm pretty sure they aren't printers quoins. I
can't pretend to be a world-class expert on quoins, but I did spend
three years working with old printing equipment at a historic
restoration on Staten Island, and I've never seen this style of quoin
before. Furthermore, they don't look to be well adapted for the
purpose. First of all, quoins have to generate a _lot_ of force. The
form is almost an inch thick of solid lead and is held in place
entirely by the friction resulting from the force that the quoins exert
at the edges. All the quoins I've ever seen are wedges with vertex
angles on the order of ten degrees. This device seems to have vertex
angles more like eighty degrees, meaning it's designed to quickly take
up a relatively large amount of slack, but generates relatively little
force. Second, this device appears to be designed to exert force
between two surfaces that are significantly out of parallel. That
wouldn't be an issue in a printing form. Third, with the actuating
screw on the end like that, the device would be rather awkward to
tighten in a chase. The quoins I've used have either been actuated by
a key inserted from the top (the side, in the photo), or are driven in
place with a mallet and "shooting stick."

I'm not 100% sure, but that isn't how I'd make a set of quoins if I
were designing them.

--Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[...]

I'll bet you have a lot of DB9 connectors, too.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

When can you safely go back to the Roman numerals?

I was going to say I'll switch back in a few weeks when I reach set 140, but
since the set numbers are meaningless anyway, I'll just skip ahead to CXL
next week.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
.. .
Correct answers so far:

793. Stanley clapboard gauge

794. Ediphone dictation machine

795. Not sure about this tool yet

796. Telephone plug

797. One of the functions of this multi-tool is a can opener, but I don't
know if the wrench is for a specific purpose. I haven't had time to

search
the patent date.

797. Also don't know about the pocket knife.

I'm going to be away from my computer until sometime on Saturday, I'll

post
the answer page tomorrow night.

Rob

795. Printer's quoin for applying pressure to type.

797. Multi-tool

Please see the answer page for patent info on these two tools, other links
and a couple of new photos have also been posted:

http://pzphotosan136x.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:29:28 GMT, "R.H."
wrote:

797. One of the functions of this multi-tool is a can opener, but I

don't
know if the wrench is for a specific purpose. I haven't had time to

search
the patent date.

Hi Rob,

I'll save you the trouble, it is patent number 286,458.
"Combination Tool: for houshold use".

Claims:

Vise
Nutcracker
Wrench
Pliers
Tack puller
Pruner
Wire cutter
Can opener

Link:

http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat286458.pdf

I had to look it up, so I didn't think it was all that fair
to post an answer right away.

Thanks! And also thanks for discovering the patent numbers for both of the
quoins (number 795 and 763). I've showed number 795 to a lot of people and
thought I was never going to find out what it was.

I updated the answer page for number 763 with a link to the patent:

http://pzphotosan131g-2.blogspot.com/

I'll see if I can put something together about searching via
classes sometime soon (per the other thread/question). It
takes some work and learning and isn't for the impatient or
faint-of-heart

Sounds good, whenever you have time to post some tips, I'd appreciate it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

When can you safely go back to the Roman numerals?

Why should he?

I was going to say I'll switch back in a few weeks when I reach set 140, but
since the set numbers are meaningless anyway, I'll just skip ahead to CXL
next week.

What on Earth for? Actual numbers are much more readable.
--
Mark Brader | "It can be amusing, even if painful, to watch the
Toronto | ethnocentrism of those who are convinced their
| local standards are universal." -- Tom Chapin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

According to Michael A. Terrell :

[ ... ]

[...]

Nope. DB-25 yes, and 13W3 in the same shell, but the 9-pin ones
which I have are DE-9 connectors.

I note that you do not respond to my comment about the
difference between the handset connector and the more common one used
for phone lines.

The data sheet for the crimp dies on my AMP crimper include
(among others):

Part # Ident Description
Dot
853400-3 Green 4 POSN HANDSET
853400-8 Blue 4-5 POSN LINE

Which shows a different die set needed for the narrower
connector used on the handset. (I don't have that particular die set,
though I have the one for the 4-6 position one, and the 8-position one.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Mark Brader :
When can you safely go back to the Roman numerals?

Why should he?

I was going to say I'll switch back in a few weeks when I reach set 140, but
since the set numbers are meaningless anyway, I'll just skip ahead to CXL
next week.

What on Earth for? Actual numbers are much more readable.

Who actually *reads* the numbers? The Roman numerals are easier
to spot when scanning through a list of articles to select what you want
to read/respond to first.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob
Thanks for the technobabble link.
I love stuff like that and this one is priceless.

I've uploaded a technobabble video at
http://download.yousendit.com/B056FA4D4F5055A6
It will be available for 7 days.
Enjoy.

Art

"R.H." wrote

[snip]
I updated the answer page for number 763 with a link to the patent:
http://pzphotosan131g-2.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#794 is a Dictaphone.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

According to Michael A. Terrell :

[ ... ]

That is the 4P4C wired as a four conductor handset cord. The one in
picture 796 is the 4P4C, as used for handsets.

I don't believe so. The one shown has the fatter side walls,
producing a connector the same width as the 6-pin version. You can see
the grooves which would accept the extra blades (and in this case,
simply prevent damage to the wire pins in a 6-conductor jack).

The 4-pin used in the handsets (at least in the old ITT one in
my hand at the moment) is narrower, and does not have the unused grooves
outside the four in actual use.

The connector on handset cord on my phone looks just like the one in
the photo. ITT didn't always do thing the W-E way, when it didn't have
to meet a standard. I serviced the old 1A
key phone systems for years, and it was amazing just how cheap some of
the brands were made, but they all plugged into the same KTU, and the
cards were interchangeable.

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/wiring.aspx is a link to some
common RJ numbers.

But -- it does not show the RJ-13, and a Google search for that
seems to be confused by someone who has been posting under the name
"rj13".

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'll bet you have a lot of DB9 connectors, too.

Nope. DB-25 yes, and 13W3 in the same shell, but the 9-pin ones
which I have are DE-9 connectors.

Just checking! ;-) Most people think all "sub D" shells are 'DB"
series, including a lot of computer cable and connector vendors. The
originals Sub-D connectors were made by Cinch. Also, the SVGA monitor
plug is a "HDE-15" sub D connector. I have about 500 different types of
connectors on hand for repairs, including some that haven't been made in
over 60 years. (A four pin tube socket for the very early "Breadboard"
radios)

I note that you do not respond to my comment about the
difference between the handset connector and the more common one used
for phone lines.

See above.

The data sheet for the crimp dies on my AMP crimper include
(among others):

Part # Ident Description
Dot
853400-3 Green 4 POSN HANDSET
853400-8 Blue 4-5 POSN LINE

Which shows a different die set needed for the narrower
connector used on the handset. (I don't have that particular die set,
though I have the one for the 4-6 position one, and the 8-position one.

I got a new Jameco catalog in the mail today with the amp modular
plugs on page 115. they also have their ValuePro line with the 4P4C
connectors, but the picture stinks. They have the rather rare 10P10C
connector as well. If you look at the top right section of the page you
will see that there are two widths of 4P4C modular jacks available.
Since the handset doesn't connect to the telco, it doesn't need an
Registered Jack number. I can scan the wider plug for you, but not
tonight. I do my graphics work on another computer that's in the house,
and I'm working in one of my shops tonight.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c264/P115.pdf

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

According to Michael A. Terrell :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

The 4-pin used in the handsets (at least in the old ITT one in
my hand at the moment) is narrower, and does not have the unused grooves
outside the four in actual use.

The connector on handset cord on my phone looks just like the one in
the photo. ITT didn't always do thing the W-E way, when it didn't have
to meet a standard. I serviced the old 1A
key phone systems for years, and it was amazing just how cheap some of
the brands were made, but they all plugged into the same KTU, and the
cards were interchangeable.

The only genuine WE handset which I have nearby has the captive
cord instead of the modular connector cord, so I can't check there. But
IIRC, *all* handset cords have used that narrower connector.

It is a bit too late tonight, but I could photograph them both
side by side.

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/wiring.aspx is a link to some
common RJ numbers.

But -- it does not show the RJ-13, and a Google search for that
seems to be confused by someone who has been posting under the name
"rj13".

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'll bet you have a lot of DB9 connectors, too.

Nope. DB-25 yes, and 13W3 in the same shell, but the 9-pin ones
which I have are DE-9 connectors.

Just checking! ;-) Most people think all "sub D" shells are 'DB"
series, including a lot of computer cable and connector vendors.

Also -- *any* size of the "Miniature Blue Ribbon" connectors by
Amphenol is now called "Centronics", simply because Centronics (the
printer manufacturer) selected that connector for the parallel interface
which they used. I find myself greatly frustrated by the use of the
term for the 50-pin connectors used for SCSI on many systems. (For the
50-pin, I prefer the locking connector made mostly by AMP and used on
the Suns before they went to fast wide SCSI with 68-pin connectors
replacing the 50-pin ones.

The
originals Sub-D connectors were made by Cinch.

Though Cannon was another common manufacturer of those. Each
had different designs of backshells -- some much worse than others.

Also, the SVGA monitor
plug is a "HDE-15" sub D connector. I have about 500 different types of
connectors on hand for repairs, including some that haven't been made in
over 60 years. (A four pin tube socket for the very early "Breadboard"
radios)

The ones with two pins fatter than the other two, so filament
fed through two, and the other two were grid and plate -- and the
filament served as the cathode as well? Or the ones where grid and
plate were separate connections through the walls of the tube?

I note that you do not respond to my comment about the
difference between the handset connector and the more common one used
for phone lines.

See above.

Yes -- you have covered it there.

The data sheet for the crimp dies on my AMP crimper include
(among others):

Part # Ident Description
Dot
853400-3 Green 4 POSN HANDSET
853400-8 Blue 4-5 POSN LINE

Which shows a different die set needed for the narrower
connector used on the handset. (I don't have that particular die set,
though I have the one for the 4-6 position one, and the 8-position one.

I got a new Jameco catalog in the mail today with the amp modular
plugs on page 115. they also have their ValuePro line with the 4P4C
connectors, but the picture stinks.

So it does.

They have the rather rare 10P10C
connector as well.

I would like to get a crimper for those. I have an sBus card
for older Sun workstations which provides four serial ports through such
connectors -- though I really don't need the outer two pins -- they are
for carrying the signals for synchronous serial and asynchronous is all
that I need.

If you look at the top right section of the page you
will see that there are two widths of 4P4C modular jacks available.
Since the handset doesn't connect to the telco, it doesn't need an
Registered Jack number. I can scan the wider plug for you, but not
tonight. I do my graphics work on another computer that's in the house,
and I'm working in one of my shops tonight.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c264/P115.pdf

Actually -- the top of that page shows two four-pin connectors,
but only one is a 4P4C. The other is marked as 6P4C. The 4P4C is
labeled with the descriptive word "handset", while the 6P4C is one of
two marked "RJ11". All three have WE numbers -- an Western Electric is
good enough to be Phone Company -- at least back in the old days. :-)

prove it.

Hmm ... I'll have to look at what DD form I got when I retired
as a civilian employee of the Army.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article m,
Charlie wrote:

795: Looks to me like this is a set of quoins used to tighten moveable
printing type in a chase to keep the type from falling out while in the
printing press.

I'm pretty sure that's not what they are. And that's the best I can
do...

;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , R.H.
wrote:

795. Printer's quoin for applying pressure to type.

Are you sure? I don't think that's right.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , R.H.
wrote:

Please see the answer page for patent info on these two tools, other links
and a couple of new photos have also been posted:

http://pzphotosan136x.blogspot.com/

I stand corrected...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

...since the set numbers are meaningless anyway,
I'll just skip ahead to CXL next week.

What on Earth for? Actual numbers are much more readable.

Who actually *reads* the numbers?

How else would you tell one puzzle's thread from the next?

The Roman numerals are easier to spot when scanning through a list
of articles to select what you want to read/respond to first.

Well, um, that's what the "What is it?" part is for, y'know?
--
Mark Brader "It's okay to have our own language if we feel
Toronto we need it, but why does it have to be used
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

According to Michael A. Terrell :

The only genuine WE handset which I have nearby has the captive
cord instead of the modular connector cord, so I can't check there. But
IIRC, *all* handset cords have used that narrower connector.

It is a bit too late tonight, but I could photograph them both
side by side.

I use one of my flatbed scanners for small parts. Lay them on the
glass and cover it with a folded white tee shirt. Some samples are on
this page of my personal website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html

Also -- *any* size of the "Miniature Blue Ribbon" connectors by
Amphenol is now called "Centronics", simply because Centronics (the
printer manufacturer) selected that connector for the parallel interface
which they used. I find myself greatly frustrated by the use of the
term for the 50-pin connectors used for SCSI on many systems. (For the
50-pin, I prefer the locking connector made mostly by AMP and used on
the Suns before they went to fast wide SCSI with 68-pin connectors
replacing the 50-pin ones.

Some people also call the 24 pin version used for IEEE-488 (HPIB,
GPIB) "Centronics" as well. BTW, Google SCSI as "Small System Serial
Interface" and see how many idiots there are out there. ;-)

The originals Sub-D connectors were made by Cinch.

Though Cannon was another common manufacturer of those. Each
had different designs of backshells -- some much worse than others.

Personally, I prefer the AMP one piece shell that folds over and has
a single screw to hold it together. I think I saw a couple hundred DB 25
hoods the other day at the local surplus metal dealer. I'll take a
notebook the next time to write down the AMP number.

The ones with two pins fatter than the other two, so filament
fed through two, and the other two were grid and plate -- and the
filament served as the cathode as well? Or the ones where grid and
plate were separate connections through the walls of the tube?

Yes, it is black bakelite with a pair of "F"s , a "G" and a "P"
molded in. It is made to be screwed to a board, and top wired.

I got a new Jameco catalog in the mail today with the amp modular
plugs on page 115. they also have their ValuePro line with the 4P4C
connectors, but the picture stinks.

So it does.

They have the rather rare 10P10C connector as well.

I would like to get a crimper for those. I have an sBus card
for older Sun workstations which provides four serial ports through such
connectors -- though I really don't need the outer two pins -- they are
for carrying the signals for synchronous serial and asynchronous is all
that I need.

How hard would it be for you to machine the outer edges from one of
the 8P8C dies to make it wide enough? If you don't need the wires, you
don't have to worry about crimping those positions. Personally, I would
make my own dies for my 1 ton arbor press. I have severe Carpal Tunnel
Syndrome, so some hand tools are out of the question most days. I used
custom dies with a 1/2 ton arbor press for crimping ribbon cable into
IDC sub-D connectors, and IC headers at Microdyne. We had 25 people who
made cables for production, but I preferred to make my own for test
fixtures, rather than spend a half hour explaining what i needed. A
quick and dirty guide for the pin side of the IC header connectors can
me made from a stack of three or four layers of phenolic or glass epoxy
perf board drilled in a .1" * .1" grid instead of drilling a metal
plate. A couple screws from the bottom of a scrap piece of 1'8"
aluminum plate allows you to replace the perf board when it wears out.
It has the advantage of fitting every version made with .1" spacing, and
will last for 500 to 1000 crimps if you don't abuse it.

If you look at the top right section of the page you
will see that there are two widths of 4P4C modular jacks available.
Since the handset doesn't connect to the telco, it doesn't need an
Registered Jack number. I can scan the wider plug for you, but not
tonight. I do my graphics work on another computer that's in the house,
and I'm working in one of my shops tonight.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c264/P115.pdf

Actually -- the top of that page shows two four-pin connectors,
but only one is a 4P4C. The other is marked as 6P4C. The 4P4C is
labeled with the descriptive word "handset", while the 6P4C is one of
two marked "RJ11". All three have WE numbers -- an Western Electric is
good enough to be Phone Company -- at least back in the old days. :-)

That is the left column labeled "Modular Plugs". The first two items
in the right hand column are the two different 4P4C jacks, and the
widths are .48" and .395". If you look, you will see that the narrower
version is more expensive, which suggests that it doesn't sell as well.

Hmm ... I'll have to look at what DD form I got when I retired
as a civilian employee of the Army.

Enjoy,
DoN.

My sig file is there to remind a net stalker in Oregon that he hasn't
stopped my non profit work to collect, refurbish and give free working
computers to other low income & disabled Veterans in my area. The
DD2114 is your honorable discharge.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#798: Veneer/inlay knife?
That end could be used for tamping a pipe, but tampers usually are
round. I'd
venture it's a veneering knife; one uses a veneer hammer to press glued
veneers into
place, and the curved shape of that end is about right for a veneer
pressure job.

You'd have to clean glue from the knife, though...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

ups.com...

#798: Veneer/inlay knife?
That end could be used for tamping a pipe, but tampers usually are
round. I'd
venture it's a veneering knife; one uses a veneer hammer to press glued
veneers into
place, and the curved shape of that end is about right for a veneer
pressure job.

You'd have to clean glue from the knife, though...

Sounds like a good possibility, I'll see what I can find on that.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Mark Brader :
...since the set numbers are meaningless anyway,
I'll just skip ahead to CXL next week.

What on Earth for? Actual numbers are much more readable.

Who actually *reads* the numbers?

How else would you tell one puzzle's thread from the next?

By the fact that my newsreader's threading does not have it
already marked as an active thread which I am following?

The Roman numerals are easier to spot when scanning through a list
of articles to select what you want to read/respond to first.

Well, um, that's what the "What is it?" part is for, y'know?

But that is just more plain text -- easily confused with other
plain text. Roman numerals stand out visually.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

According to Michael A. Terrell :

The only genuine WE handset which I have nearby has the captive
cord instead of the modular connector cord, so I can't check there. But
IIRC, *all* handset cords have used that narrower connector.

It is a bit too late tonight, but I could photograph them both
side by side.

I use one of my flatbed scanners for small parts. Lay them on the
glass and cover it with a folded white tee shirt. Some samples are on
this page of my personal website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/Ephar.html

My flatbed scanner is hooked to the token Windows box, and is a
pain to use (limited physical access among other things), and I don't
think that I even *have* a plain white tee shirt. (They don't have
pockets, and I use shirt pockets regularly. :-)

Also -- *any* size of the "Miniature Blue Ribbon" connectors by
Amphenol is now called "Centronics", simply because Centronics (the
printer manufacturer) selected that connector for the parallel interface
which they used. I find myself greatly frustrated by the use of the
term for the 50-pin connectors used for SCSI on many systems. (For the
50-pin, I prefer the locking connector made mostly by AMP and used on
the Suns before they went to fast wide SCSI with 68-pin connectors
replacing the 50-pin ones.

Some people also call the 24 pin version used for IEEE-488 (HPIB,
GPIB) "Centronics" as well. BTW, Google SCSI as "Small System Serial
Interface" and see how many idiots there are out there. ;-)

Yep! I wonder where some of these things come from.

The originals Sub-D connectors were made by Cinch.

Though Cannon was another common manufacturer of those. Each
had different designs of backshells -- some much worse than others.

Personally, I prefer the AMP one piece shell that folds over and has
a single screw to hold it together. I think I saw a couple hundred DB 25
hoods the other day at the local surplus metal dealer. I'll take a
notebook the next time to write down the AMP number.

The AMP ones also have a second screw (a long slotted setscrew),
in a square nut which drives the tapered Delrin block which serves as
the cable clamp. IIRC, some of the earlier ones had three screws,
instead of just one.

The ones with two pins fatter than the other two, so filament
fed through two, and the other two were grid and plate -- and the
filament served as the cathode as well? Or the ones where grid and
plate were separate connections through the walls of the tube?

Yes, it is black bakelite with a pair of "F"s , a "G" and a "P"
molded in. It is made to be screwed to a board, and top wired.

Interesting. *Those* I don't have -- though I have some octal
ones which were used mostly for relay sockets in industrial controllers.

Do you have any "loctal" sockets around still?

I got a new Jameco catalog in the mail today with the amp modular
plugs on page 115. they also have their ValuePro line with the 4P4C
connectors, but the picture stinks.

So it does.

They have the rather rare 10P10C connector as well.

I would like to get a crimper for those. I have an sBus card
for older Sun workstations which provides four serial ports through such
connectors -- though I really don't need the outer two pins -- they are
for carrying the signals for synchronous serial and asynchronous is all
that I need.

How hard would it be for you to machine the outer edges from one of
the 8P8C dies to make it wide enough?

IIRC, the overall width of the connector is the same. They have
simply taken some of the thick walls of the 8-pin version and added
another pair of slots for the blades -- and of course the internal guide
grooves for the wires under the blades.

They don't bother documenting the width for either those or the
8-pin connectors in that catalog page.

Certainly if the connector is wider, I won't have room to widen
the dies for my AMP crimper for the modular plugs -- and AMP/Tycho does
not sell dies for that crimper. But perhaps I could work with one of
the cheaper "pliers" crimpers for that purpose.

If you don't need the wires, you
don't have to worry about crimping those positions. Personally, I would
make my own dies for my 1 ton arbor press. I have severe Carpal Tunnel
Syndrome, so some hand tools are out of the question most days.

Then you would probably like my crimpers for 8 ga through 4/0
terminal lugs. It is a hydraulic head, with the choice of a hand-pump,
a foot pump (which I don't have), or an electrically-cycled pump. I'm
set for all of them except 4/0. I don't have those dies. There are two
heads -- one for 8 Ga through 2 Ga, and the other for 0 (1/0) through
4/0. I got the electrical pump first -- as part of a surplus sale when
I was after something else -- but once I saw it I realized what it was
and kept it.

For the smaller range (8 Ga through 2 Ga) there are other
self-contained hand-held and hand-pumped hydraulic crimpers -- but for
the 1/0 through 4/0, the head is always separate. I first *used* one of
those when I worked for Melpar back in the mid 1960s, and they had the
foot-pumped version at that time. This is why I recognized the
electrical pump when I got it. :-0

I used
custom dies with a 1/2 ton arbor press for crimping ribbon cable into
IDC sub-D connectors, and IC headers at Microdyne. We had 25 people who
made cables for production, but I preferred to make my own for test
fixtures, rather than spend a half hour explaining what i needed. A
quick and dirty guide for the pin side of the IC header connectors can
me made from a stack of three or four layers of phenolic or glass epoxy
perf board drilled in a .1" * .1" grid instead of drilling a metal
plate. A couple screws from the bottom of a scrap piece of 1'8"
aluminum plate allows you to replace the perf board when it wears out.
It has the advantage of fitting every version made with .1" spacing, and
will last for 500 to 1000 crimps if you don't abuse it.

Somewhere I still have a crimper made from a smaller arbor press
than the 1/2 ton one -- dies and guides which were semi-affordable. I
now have a really nice press by T&B Ansley which came from a hamfest.
Thank goodness I had a folding wheeled cart to carry it back to the car. :-)

[...]

Yes -- but we were talking about the plugs, not the jacks.

In the plugs section, only the narrower one is called a "4P4C".
The wider one is called a "6P4C", and is given a WE part number of
"623", while the "4P4C" is given a WE part number of "616". Of course,
the "6P6C" is also given the WE part number of "623".

it seems that there is a bit of confusion between the
terminology of the plugs and the jacks. Measuring the width of my
example of a "4P4C", I come out with 0.298" (Probably 0.300" was the
target dimension.)

Note also that there are some other specialized ones which I
don't see here. There is a 6P6C which has the locking clip offset to
one side which is used as a serial port on DEC VT-320 terminals -- and I
think the VT-220 as well.

Amp makes a set of dies for my crimper to handle those too.

Hmm ... I'll have to look at what DD form I got when I retired
as a civilian employee of the Army.

[ ... ]

My sig file is there to remind a net stalker in Oregon that he hasn't
stopped my non profit work to collect, refurbish and give free working
computers to other low income & disabled Veterans in my area. The
DD2114 is your honorable discharge.

O.K. Though you seem to have either dropped a digit in the
..sig, or added one i the sentence above. (I suspect the latter, as most
DD forms which I encountered were three digit -- especially ones as
common as those.

[ ... ]

prove it.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Some people also call the 24 pin version used for IEEE-488 (HPIB,
GPIB) "Centronics" as well. BTW, Google SCSI as "Small System Serial
Interface" and see how many idiots there are out there. ;-)

ummm... none?

I Googled "Small System Serial Interface" and got zero hits. Are you just making
this stuff up?