Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What is it? Set 136

According to Michael A. Terrell :
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

According to Michael A. Terrell :

[ ... ]

That is the 4P4C wired as a four conductor handset cord. The one in
picture 796 is the 4P4C, as used for handsets.

I don't believe so. The one shown has the fatter side walls,
producing a connector the same width as the 6-pin version. You can see
the grooves which would accept the extra blades (and in this case,
simply prevent damage to the wire pins in a 6-conductor jack).

The 4-pin used in the handsets (at least in the old ITT one in
my hand at the moment) is narrower, and does not have the unused grooves
outside the four in actual use.

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/learning/wiring.aspx is a link to some
common RJ numbers.

But -- it does not show the RJ-13, and a Google search for that
seems to be confused by someone who has been posting under the name
"rj13".

Enjoy,
DoN.

I'll bet you have a lot of DB9 connectors, too.

Nope. DB-25 yes, and 13W3 in the same shell, but the 9-pin ones
which I have are DE-9 connectors.

I note that you do not respond to my comment about the
difference between the handset connector and the more common one used
for phone lines.

The data sheet for the crimp dies on my AMP crimper include
(among others):

Part # Ident Description
Dot
853400-3 Green 4 POSN HANDSET
853400-8 Blue 4-5 POSN LINE

Which shows a different die set needed for the narrower
connector used on the handset. (I don't have that particular die set,
though I have the one for the 4-6 position one, and the 8-position one.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564