Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Odd Plug on Radial arm saw

The saw has a plug that has two flat terminals not parallal. Is this a
220?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com, wrote:
The saw has a plug that has two flat terminals not parallal. Is this a
220?

Might be. Might not be. You didn't provide enough information to tell.

There's a NEMA plug and receptacle configuration chart at

http://frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20...leconfiguratio.
htm

which should enable you to tell what you have.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com, wrote:
The saw has a plug that has two flat terminals not parallal. Is this a
220?

Might be. Might not be. You didn't provide enough information to tell.

There's a NEMA plug and receptacle configuration chart at

http://frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20...leconfiguratio.
htm

which should enable you to tell what you have.

--
Regards,

The best way to tell is by looking at the plate on the motor. Though,
the plug may or not be the correct plug for the type of power required
and could have worked for a variety of reasons, including the fact that
someone took an inappropriate plug and receptacle and jerry rigged the
wiring to make it all work.

Be careful

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 01:37:23 GMT, Nova wrote:

wrote:

The saw has a plug that has two flat terminals not parallal. Is this a
220?

My guess would be that its a "NEMA 6-20P" 20 amp plug. The terminals
are at a right angle to each other to prevent plugging the saw into a 15
amp outlet.

But it could also be a "NEMA 5-20P" 20 amp plug, which has the
opposite blades at right angles, and for the same reason.

Doug's right, the answer to what SHOULD be there is on the motor
plate. But I would also point out that if it's a convertible
(120/240V) motor, I would look in the junction box on the motor to see
which it's wired for.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .com,
wrote:
The saw has a plug that has two flat terminals not parallal. Is this a
220?

Does it have a center prong in addition to the flat prongs?
Looking at it on-end, if it looks like this it is 220:

/ \

If it looks like this but is the same size as a regular 120V plug, it
is for a 20 amp 120 V circuit:

| -

Of course, if this is a used machine that you have no prior experience
with, it would be best to check the motor for the proper voltage.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -