Posted to alt.home.repair

Default heavily carboned new mower spark plug

I just installed a new spark plug (the recommended plug) in a Honda
HRT16 lawn mower (bought at Home Depot). This plug was used once and
ran OK. The second time the mower sputtered and quit. When I checked
the plug, it was covered with heavy black carbon. I noticed this on two
previous plugs; once last summer and once the summer prior. Is the
mower running too rich? If so, how do I correct this? Any other
suggestions? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

alacat wrote:
I just installed a new spark plug (the recommended plug) in a Honda
HRT16 lawn mower (bought at Home Depot). This plug was used once and
ran OK. The second time the mower sputtered and quit. When I checked
the plug, it was covered with heavy black carbon. I noticed this on two
previous plugs; once last summer and once the summer prior. Is the
mower running too rich? If so, how do I correct this? Any other
suggestions? Thanks.

Hi,
Checked air filter? Or oil level?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

alacat wrote:

I just installed a new spark plug (the recommended plug) in a Honda
HRT16 lawn mower (bought at Home Depot). This plug was used once and
ran OK. The second time the mower sputtered and quit. When I
checked the plug, it was covered with heavy black carbon. I noticed
this on two previous plugs; once last summer and once the summer
prior. Is the mower running too rich? If so, how do I correct
this? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Hi,
Checked air filter? Or oil level?

Thanks. The air filter is clean and the oil was changed Saturday.
Judging from what I read a few moments ago on another mower problem
thread (which I found right after posting this question), my mower is
running much too richly. Still, I don't know what the fix is?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Possibly l eaky carb float, engine flooding.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"alacat" wrote in message
Tony Hwang wrote:

alacat wrote:

I just installed a new spark plug (the recommended plug) in a Honda
HRT16 lawn mower (bought at Home Depot). This plug was used once

and
ran OK. The second time the mower sputtered and quit. When I
checked the plug, it was covered with heavy black carbon. I

noticed
this on two previous plugs; once last summer and once the summer
prior. Is the mower running too rich? If so, how do I correct
this? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Hi,
Checked air filter? Or oil level?

Thanks. The air filter is clean and the oil was changed Saturday.
Judging from what I read a few moments ago on another mower problem
thread (which I found right after posting this question), my mower is
running much too richly. Still, I don't know what the fix is?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Adjust carb. Replace air filter.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"alacat" wrote in message
I just installed a new spark plug (the recommended plug) in a Honda
HRT16 lawn mower (bought at Home Depot). This plug was used once and
ran OK. The second time the mower sputtered and quit. When I checked
the plug, it was covered with heavy black carbon. I noticed this on
two
previous plugs; once last summer and once the summer prior. Is the
mower running too rich? If so, how do I correct this? Any other
suggestions? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The choke could be stuck on.

-rev

alacat wrote:

Thanks. The air filter is clean and the oil was changed Saturday.
Judging from what I read a few moments ago on another mower problem
thread (which I found right after posting this question), my mower is
running much too richly. Still, I don't know what the fix is?

Plug & Socket HOT - Why? Joseph Meehan Home Repair 4 December 25th 05 06:06 PM
Murray Riding Mower: No Spark Oliver Home Repair 3 August 29th 04 07:06 PM
spark plug life Peter Home Repair 14 January 9th 04 01:42 AM
4 cycle lawn mower engine question Judy and Dave G Home Repair 7 October 27th 03 06:52 PM
Plug Strips Jeff Wisnia Home Repair 13 August 30th 03 06:08 AM