Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Uses for 1/4 hp furnace blower motor

I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust. Need some
ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that would apply to my
woodworking shop.

Thanks in advance for any replies......Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan Jefferson (in ) said:

| I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust.
| Need some ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that
| would apply to my woodworking shop.

The perfect motor for this project. Visit
http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/Sh...nessSander.htm

(Link courtesy of Leuf)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Uses for 1/4 hp furnace blower motor (unwrap link)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

The perfect motor for this project. Visit
http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/Sh...nessSander.htm

why am I getting link not found?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
The perfect motor for this project. Visit
http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/Sh...nessSander.htm

why am I getting link not found?

Line wrap, probably. On my screen the "l" in "html" has wrapped to the
second line.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in
:

I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust. Need
some ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that would
apply to my woodworking shop.

Thanks in advance for any replies......Dan

Dan,

About 15 years ago I made a non-oscillating 3x3 drum sander and a 8" disc
sander from two motors I had around. Still have them and use them. You
could also make a buffing wheel. One day I will re-do my disc sander and
make an adjustable tilting table for it. Right now I am busy doing other
things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan Jefferson wrote:
I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust. Need some
ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that would apply to my
woodworking shop.

Thanks in advance for any replies......Dan

Another option, especially if it has a blower still attached, would be
an ambient air cleaner. Not too difficult - build a box and get a good
furnace filter (plus, optionally, a cheaper one for a "pre-filter").
Or a disc sander, something like
http://tinyurl.com/pclba
or
http://www.gizmology.net/sander.htm
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 22:49:09 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Dan Jefferson (in ) said:

| I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust.
| Need some ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that
| would apply to my woodworking shop.

The perfect motor for this project. Visit
http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/Sh...nessSander.htm

(Link courtesy of Leuf)

Though I think 1/4 hp is undersized if you're going to do general
woodworking instead of modelling. The Performax 10-20 is 1 hp. The
Grizzly 12" is 1-1/2 hp. I was personally looking at 1/2-3/4 to try
to keep the weight down, but I don't have any numbers on what each
size generally weighs so I'm guessing there.

I don't know what else you might do with it, but I believe Lee Valley
sells a mounting bracket for them, so clearly you're not alone.

As a side note to Morris, I remembered I have some 3" diameter MDF
half round that I had gotten for a project and then gone in another
direction. Though I think it would be rather difficult to run a
groove perfectly in the center of each half with a core box bit for
the shaft, and then the jig I'd have to build to hold the half round
to even attempt it. So back to the 15 discs I go, but for a second
there it looked like it was going to be easy

I was darn close to buying a kit from stockroomsupply.com, but then I
read their FAQ and gave a big thumbs down to using hook&loop for this
application, which also rules out the Grizzly.

And of course just as I start gettng serious about my narrow drum
sander because I never do anything wide I have a repeat client come
back asking if I can do a chest with a ~22" wide glueup required for
the top. Of course.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan Jefferson wrote:
I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust. Need some
ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that would apply to my
woodworking shop.

Thanks in advance for any replies......Dan

I have one powering a low speed grinder via a belt and mandrel. It was
the devil to mount. I wound up cutting a hole in a square of plywood and
mounting it through the hole. Then used two shelf brackets to hold the
board upright.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A sweater is a garment worn by a child
when his mother feels chilly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 06:55:53 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Leuf (in ) said:

| As a side note to Morris, I remembered I have some 3" diameter MDF
| half round that I had gotten for a project and then gone in another
| direction. Though I think it would be rather difficult to run a
| groove perfectly in the center of each half with a core box bit for
| the shaft, and then the jig I'd have to build to hold the half round
| to even attempt it. So back to the 15 discs I go, but for a second
| there it looked like it was going to be easy

All you'd need to hold the half-round would be a long V-block, deep
enough that you could use wooden hold-downs (fastened with countersunk
flat head screws) along the edges. Set your router fence carefully -
then sand to perfectly round once mounted in the machine. If you're
really careful with the router fence, you shouldn't lose more than
1/64 or so of drum...

You know, I went so long without a router table now that I do have one
I don't always insert it into my thought process. No jig needed at
all. I'll have to make multiple passes anyway so I can dial in the
fence during that process. The only core box bit I have is 3/4" which
is a bigger shaft than needed, but cheaper to step up the shaft than
buy a new bit. Still have to figure out what I'm doing with the wedge
clamp, but having it in two halves should make cutting the groove a
snap. I have some 1/4-20 threaded inserts I can use for attaching the
wedge. I should probably do the same thing to both sides for balance.

Of course. Time now to order a double-belted 48" sander? :-D

Sure, shouldn't have to knock down more than 1/4 of the house to give
the crane access to the basement. I'll have it all back together in a
weekend or two with the help of the sander. The neighbors might be a
little miffed about their lights dimming every time I turn it on, but
they'll eventually come to appreciate it.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Gerald Ross wrote in
:

Dan Jefferson wrote:
I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust. Need
some ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that would
apply to my woodworking shop.

Thanks in advance for any replies......Dan

I have one powering a low speed grinder via a belt and mandrel. It was
the devil to mount. I wound up cutting a hole in a square of plywood
and mounting it through the hole. Then used two shelf brackets to hold
the board upright.

Lee Valley has a motor mounting kit that might work.
Posted to rec.woodworking
lex lex is offline

If the blower is still on it, an air scrubber is a dandy item to have.
If you mount it on the ceiling, run a long duct on the exhaust side of
the box all the way to the opposite end of the shop. Can provide great
circulation, and if the condition of my filters are any indication, it
does a great job!

Andy wrote:
Dan Jefferson wrote:
I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust. Need some
ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that would apply to my
woodworking shop.

Thanks in advance for any replies......Dan

Another option, especially if it has a blower still attached, would be
an ambient air cleaner. Not too difficult - build a box and get a good
furnace filter (plus, optionally, a cheaper one for a "pre-filter").
Or a disc sander, something like
http://tinyurl.com/pclba
or
http://www.gizmology.net/sander.htm
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan Jefferson wrote:
I have an almost new 1/4 hp furnace motor just gathering dust. Need some
ideas for a good use for the motor. Would like uses that would apply to my
woodworking shop.

Sit on it and spin!

(Sorry :-))