Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Uses for 1/4 hp furnace blower motor

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 06:55:53 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
wrote:

Leuf (in ) said:

| As a side note to Morris, I remembered I have some 3" diameter MDF
| half round that I had gotten for a project and then gone in another
| direction. Though I think it would be rather difficult to run a
| groove perfectly in the center of each half with a core box bit for
| the shaft, and then the jig I'd have to build to hold the half round
| to even attempt it. So back to the 15 discs I go, but for a second
| there it looked like it was going to be easy

All you'd need to hold the half-round would be a long V-block, deep
enough that you could use wooden hold-downs (fastened with countersunk
flat head screws) along the edges. Set your router fence carefully -
then sand to perfectly round once mounted in the machine. If you're
really careful with the router fence, you shouldn't lose more than
1/64 or so of drum...

You know, I went so long without a router table now that I do have one
I don't always insert it into my thought process. No jig needed at
all. I'll have to make multiple passes anyway so I can dial in the
fence during that process. The only core box bit I have is 3/4" which
is a bigger shaft than needed, but cheaper to step up the shaft than
buy a new bit. Still have to figure out what I'm doing with the wedge
clamp, but having it in two halves should make cutting the groove a
snap. I have some 1/4-20 threaded inserts I can use for attaching the
wedge. I should probably do the same thing to both sides for balance.

Of course. Time now to order a double-belted 48" sander? :-D

Sure, shouldn't have to knock down more than 1/4 of the house to give
the crane access to the basement. I'll have it all back together in a
weekend or two with the help of the sander. The neighbors might be a
little miffed about their lights dimming every time I turn it on, but
they'll eventually come to appreciate it.

-Leuf