Old September 19th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best finish for Oak kitchen table?

My oak kitchen table (about 15 years old) has a finish that is almost
worn off, and has become very stickey and hard to clean. So, I sanded
the top with an orbital sander.

What finish should I put on it, assuming it will get a lot of use,
spills, and kids abuse? I want to use a clear, easy to apply finish
with good wear resistance...any ideas?

Thanks!

Old September 19th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I know it may offend the sensibilityes of the true wood workers but I
will second the opinion on poly. I used poly on my maple counter tops
and they are doing great several years later.

Make it three for a kitchen table.
Old September 19th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"KENDALL SEYBERT" writes:
...and remember, it's best to use a polyurethane varnish that has a gloss
finish because gloss is harder and more durable than finishes that contain
a flattening agent (e.g., semigloss, satin, flat). If you decide you want a
semigloss or satin final coat, at least use gloss for the undercoats. You
can also rub a gloss out to a semigloss or satin if you wish.

Actually, I used three thin coats of semi-gloss for my table, and it's
held up fine.

But I agree that gloss is harder. I just don't want all the scratches
to show ;-)
Old September 20th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
My oak kitchen table (about 15 years old) has a finish that is almost
worn off, and has become very stickey and hard to clean. So, I sanded
the top with an orbital sander.

What finish should I put on it, assuming it will get a lot of use,
spills, and kids abuse? I want to use a clear, easy to apply finish
with good wear resistance...any ideas?

Thanks!

My first choice would be a conversion finish of some kind...like a
precatalyzed lacquer. However, if you're not set up to spray, a good
polyurethane would do the job.

todd