Default damaged finish on expensive wood table

Hello afficiandos,

Pardon my ignorance as a newbie. I ended up putting a leaking battery
onto my ralph lauren coffee table and sunsequently spotting the finish
at various places. The good news might be that since the finish is
distressed it may not be that big of a deal after I restore the finish.

Making a long story short, I tried to first clean up the affected area
with mild soap solutin which turned the patches whitish and when I look
from the side I do find slight indentation in the heavily infested
areas meaning that the leaking electrolyte has cut through the finish .
Now the question is two fold;

1) How do I restore the finish i.e.patch up so that the indentation is
gone.

2) Second option is to leave the indentation (part of distressed look)
and (polish/lacquer or something else???)so that the white patches are
gone and match the table finish.

Any recommendations on how to go about this would be greatly
appreciated.

regards,

-vivek