Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB RonB is offline

Default Best finish for Oak kitchen table?

One of the easiest finishes would be a wipe-on poly. MinWax and others
offer it in most big-box, hardware or paint stores. You prepare a very
smooth surface (thorough sanding to 220 grit) and wipe on several coats. It
will add a slight amber tone to your oak so you might want to experiment on
the side. If you need to stain to match remaining table use an oil based
stain which will also seal. Sanding is important because the wipe on finish
will not hide any sanding marks.

The wipe on poly builds slow so a table top might require four our more
coats with a lint free rag (T-shirt scraps are great). Good news is that in
reasonable humidity it drys to recoat in a few hours. Sand out dust and
imperfections between coats. You won't have to worry about brush marks.

It is close to being an idiot-proof fininsh. That is why I use it.

RonB

wrote in message
ups.com...

B A R R Y wrote:
wrote:

I know it may offend the sensibilityes of the true wood workers but I
will second the opinion on poly. I used poly on my maple counter tops
and they are doing great several years later.

Make it three for a kitchen table.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to finishing anything other than a
military gun stockset!

This poly you speak of...where and what should I get? Also, does it
spray on, brush on, etc? Does it show brushmarks, do I have to put many
coats on? And, is it safe for my 2 year old to eat off of?

Thanks again!
Andy