Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PC 362VSK "Whisper Series" belt sander

I bought the 263VSK tonight. This is marked the "Whisper Series". Is this
some kind of a joke? Will someone please take the marketing weenie that
thought that up and take him outside and beat him to death with the sander?

Crap! This sander is LOUD! My ears are still ringing.

It is slightly louder than my old PC 136 sander which was made decades ago.
If it wasn't for the fact that I doubt there is anything better out there it
would go back. It still might go back to the BORG.

It does seem to track well thanks to the narrow front wheel. I was willing
to buy a choo-choo but there aren't any in stock anywhere that I can find.
Oh well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
. 1...
I bought the 263VSK tonight. This is marked the "Whisper Series". Is this
some kind of a joke? Will someone please take the marketing weenie that
thought that up and take him outside and beat him to death with the
sander?

Crap! This sander is LOUD! My ears are still ringing.

It is slightly louder than my old PC 136 sander which was made decades
ago.
If it wasn't for the fact that I doubt there is anything better out there
it
would go back. It still might go back to the BORG.

It does seem to track well thanks to the narrow front wheel. I was
willing
to buy a choo-choo but there aren't any in stock anywhere that I can find.
Oh well.

Whisper Series means, When the machine is running and some one in the same
room is yelling at you, they sound like they are whispering. ;~)

I think that only some routers have actually become quieter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
I bought the 263VSK tonight. This is marked the "Whisper Series".

Is this
some kind of a joke? Will someone please take the marketing weenie that
thought that up and take him outside and beat him to death with the

sander?

Crap! This sander is LOUD! My ears are still ringing.

Told you it was a POS.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
. 1...
I bought the 263VSK tonight. This is marked the "Whisper Series". Is this
some kind of a joke? Will someone please take the marketing weenie that
thought that up and take him outside and beat him to death with the
sander?

Crap! This sander is LOUD! My ears are still ringing.

It is slightly louder than my old PC 136 sander which was made decades
ago.
If it wasn't for the fact that I doubt there is anything better out there
it
would go back. It still might go back to the BORG.

It does seem to track well thanks to the narrow front wheel. I was
willing
to buy a choo-choo but there aren't any in stock anywhere that I can find.
Oh well.

I know Lew hates them but I had the Porter-Cable 363 for 10+ years and its
works as well as my 15 year old Choo-Choo.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
[...]

The school has six 3 x 21 vs and four 4 x 24 vs Porter Cable belt
sanders that are over 5 years old and are used in just about every
class. Other than students sanding the cords into the units I have had
no service problems. In my selling career I have sold hundreds of
Porter-Cable belt sanders that are used hard and heavy everyday in
commercial shops and I never had any service problems. My observations
are based on facts and selling experience.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mike" wrote in
oups.com:

Teamcasa wrote:
[...]

The PC is a good machine historically speaking but you would think that in
30 years or so the noise level would go down, not up.

I bought the model with the dust bag and the dust bag really works and
works well. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

R. Pierce Butler wrote:
I bought the 263VSK tonight. This is marked the "Whisper Series". Is this
some kind of a joke? Will someone please take the marketing weenie that
thought that up and take him outside and beat him to death with the sander?

Crap! This sander is LOUD! My ears are still ringing.

[snip]

When Phillips introduced the electric meat carving knife, it was
virtually vibration free and very quiet.
As a result, the operator of the knife, would pull the trigger, but
wouldn't be sure if it was running.
To check if it was running, the operator would touch the blade. It put
a whole new meaning to the concept of digital feedback. Phillips then
added a light to the knife, and deliberately made it vibrate somewhat.
(The light wasn't put on for those people who love to carve a bird in
total darkness?)

Apply that logic to the sander. PC just wants you to know that it is
running so you can feed it a cord.
I have two 3x21 PC's. An old one, which doesn't eat motor bearings as
quickly as the newer one.
They both suck.
The 4 x 24 is slightly better but too damned heavy and it also eats
motor bearings.
I now use a 3x24 Makita and just love it. One day, when I grow up, I'm
going to get me one of those choo-choos..but at Can$600 a pop, that
will be a while. Lucky for me, I have yet to find one on display
anywhere..'cuz when I do, my plastic will find its way onto the sales
counter all by itself...resistance will be futile.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Robatoy wrote:

I now use a 3x24 Makita and just love it. ...

I bought the 3x24 Makita when finally gave up repairing my _OLD_ B&D
between-the-wheels motor version.

It was the only one w/ low profile handle (I don't recall model number)
and w/o the humongous side drive style that I couldn't find was
actually a 4x24 body w/ 3" rollers making them over-sized.

In general, it's ok but...

1. It's the worst cord eater of any tool I've ever had--the cord is
extra long (a plus), but for some reason the combination of the way it
is oriented and it's flexibility, it is absolutely _ALWAYS_ in the way.

2. It actually appears to be a 4x24 unit, as well like (apparently)
all 3x24 on the market at the present time.

3. I isn't terribly poorly balanced as compared to many, but is much
more side-heavy than the B&D was so it is more susceptible to gouging
than it.

4. The VS feature does have some value, but would/could live w/o it...

5. The dust bag is reasonably effective and only a minor annoyance most
of the time for being an obstruction...

If it were 3x24 instead of 21, I'd give the new 3-wheel versions a
spin--they should be far better balanced much like the old B&D.