Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to replace kitchen cabinet hinge?

This is a very basic beginner question. I need to replace half a dozen
Blum hinges on the kitchen cabinet doors. These are recessed Blum
hinges. They are held in their pockets by two small screws. I am
afraid that when I replace the hinges they won't be held securely since
the screws will go into the existing holes. What can be done to make
sure the new screws hold the hinges securely even though they are
screwed into the old holes?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Using yellow glue, insert the tips of either wooden matches
or tooth picks in the holes. You have to play with which
works the best. Trim with a utility knife to be flush.

After the glue dries(few hours), the screws
will have new material to bite into.

You can do the same thing with wood putty but it
gets a LOT more messy.

wrote:
This is a very basic beginner question. I need to replace half a dozen
Blum hinges on the kitchen cabinet doors. These are recessed Blum
hinges. They are held in their pockets by two small screws. I am
afraid that when I replace the hinges they won't be held securely since
the screws will go into the existing holes. What can be done to make
sure the new screws hold the hinges securely even though they are
screwed into the old holes?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
This is a very basic beginner question. I need to replace half a dozen
Blum hinges on the kitchen cabinet doors. These are recessed Blum
hinges. They are held in their pockets by two small screws. I am
afraid that when I replace the hinges they won't be held securely since
the screws will go into the existing holes. What can be done to make
sure the new screws hold the hinges securely even though they are
screwed into the old holes?

Thanks!

Just because they are old screw holes it does not mean they are "bad". If
the screws for the new hinges are the same size, or slightly larger, you
shouldnt have a problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Grin - been there, done that, can't find the darn extras when I need
them. Oh well...... grin

Actually, I found via Blum website that their hinges have lifetime
warranty and they will replace them free of charge if they malfunction.
All you need to do is go to their website, print out the form, remove
the broken hinges and mail them along with the form to the Blum. They
will send you back the replacement in 2 business days. Now, that's
what I call a warranty! We'll see if that will work smoothly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

Grin - been there, done that, can't find the darn extras when I need
them. Oh well...... grin

Actually, I found via Blum website that their hinges have lifetime
warranty and they will replace them free of charge if they malfunction.
All you need to do is go to their website, print out the form, remove
the broken hinges and mail them along with the form to the Blum. They
will send you back the replacement in 2 business days. Now, that's
what I call a warranty! We'll see if that will work smoothly.

You had half of a dozen hinges fail? I don't believe I have ever seen a
cabinet hinge fail...

They get old and ugly, but I don't think Blum would replace them in that
case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:

You had half of a dozen hinges fail? I don't believe I have ever seen a
cabinet hinge fail...

They get old and ugly, but I don't think Blum would replace them in that
case.

Believe it or not but they did fail. The hinges that I have are
designed to close the kitchen cabinet doors and keep them closed. That
mechanism failed in some of them and the doors do not stay closed but
rather a little ajar. They would also not get closed if you release
them. Otherwise they hold the doors pretty strong.

The reason they failed is because some little plastic part cracked and
fell out. I think that part is located on the pin and forces the door
closed via some spring action.

Kitchen Cabinet Harry Home Repair 4 August 24th 06 03:27 AM
Kitchen Cabinet Choices [email protected] Home Ownership 4 July 30th 06 11:46 PM
SOLID V3.5 - CABINET VISION, Cabinet Design Centre v7.0 - Cubit, 20-20 Kitchen Design V6.1,Cabinet Vision Solid, Planit Millennium II [2 CDs], TurboCAD Pro V9.0 [3 CDs] ( Turbocad Pro V9.0, TurboCad Deluxe 9.2 FloorPlan v7.3, TurboProject Express v4S code_fu Woodworking 1 May 24th 05 04:09 PM
Kitchen cabinet height next to hob Mark Greaves UK diy 2 May 5th 05 11:06 PM
Kitchen Cabinet Quality Differences Lamb UK diy 12 January 28th 04 10:17 AM