Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A Quandry

Well, they got me again last night.

Broke into my locked tool shed and stole some tools, but they must
have been interrupted because several tools were found laying on the
ground outside the shed, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Not the first time it has happened, may not be the last.

Oh the joys of living in a den of thieves known as SoCal.

I have a Model 12 Winchester, and know how to use it, but the legal
aggravation in this state for killing someone stealing your property
far out weighs the satisfaction, so forget it.

Now that I've vented my spleen, some advice from the wreck.

They got my 18VDC, DeWalt, 1/2" chuck drill that I have used and
abused for almost 10 years.

It doesn't owe me anything.

I need a replacement, but will no longer be doing the heavy duty type
work that has been done in the past.

Staring into that crystal ball, what drill best meets the need.

I like the 18V package based on past experience, but would consider
another voltage.

Bosch, Milwaukee, Panasonic, or even Porter-Cable.

Not fond of Makita anymore, don't know anything about Hitachi.

Await your comments.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

snip

They got my 18VDC, DeWalt, 1/2" chuck drill that I have used and abused
for almost 10 years.

It doesn't owe me anything.

I need a replacement, but will no longer be doing the heavy duty type
work that has been done in the past.

Staring into that crystal ball, what drill best meets the need.

The 15.6-volt Panasonic EY6432GQKW has been getting high reviews.
Here's one example:

"Best cordless drill overall.

The Panasonic cordless drill / driver is recommended by more reviews
than any other as the best combination of power and weight. The
Panasonic EY6432GQKW outperforms both 14.4-volt and 18-volt cordless
drills, especially for the most work per battery charge. Reviews also
praise its 4.8-pound weight and excellent balance."

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...ews/index.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...
[...]

Don't know how good it is, but that Kawasaki 19.2 V at Costco with two
batteries for $39.99 looks like a pretty safe bet. Trouble with rechargeable
drills is the manufacturer makes them obsolete by failing to provide
replacement battteries at a reasonable cost, so even if the drill is still
running, it doesn't make sense to buy $40 batteries for it ten years later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett (in
.net) said:

| Well, they got me again last night.
|
| Broke into my locked tool shed and stole some tools, but they must
| have been interrupted because several tools were found laying on the
| ground outside the shed, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
|
| Not the first time it has happened, may not be the last.
|
| Oh the joys of living in a den of thieves known as SoCal.

Happens everywhere. In Minnesota, they loaded my tools (including my
father's old toolbox and tools) into the back of my C-20, hot-wired
the truck, and drove off with the whole works.

| I have a Model 12 Winchester, and know how to use it, but the legal
| aggravation in this state for killing someone stealing your property
| far out weighs the satisfaction, so forget it.

I'm partial to my Colt Sporter-1; but your Model 12 loaded up with
deer slugs could provide the proper "attitude adjustment". The deputy
in Minnesota told me to be sure to drag 'em indoors before I called...

| Now that I've vented my spleen, some advice from the wreck.
|
| They got my 18VDC, DeWalt, 1/2" chuck drill that I have used and
| abused for almost 10 years.
|
| It doesn't owe me anything.
|
| I need a replacement, but will no longer be doing the heavy duty
| type work that has been done in the past.
|
| Staring into that crystal ball, what drill best meets the need.
|
| I like the 18V package based on past experience, but would consider
| another voltage.
|
| Bosch, Milwaukee, Panasonic, or even Porter-Cable.
|
| Not fond of Makita anymore, don't know anything about Hitachi.
|
| Await your comments.

I've been using an 18V 3/8" for the last three years. The level of use
has been "medium" and I've used it almost exclusively to push square
drive screws into SPF. Battery capacity and charge retention have been
nothing short of excellent. I paid about $40 at HF. Go figure.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Bosch, Milwaukee, Panasonic, or even Porter-Cable.

I love my Panasonic. Great feel and balance

Sounds like you need an alarm system also. Anything that makes noise and
lights is good.