Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default A Quandry

Lew Hodgett (in
.net) said:

| Well, they got me again last night.
|
| Broke into my locked tool shed and stole some tools, but they must
| have been interrupted because several tools were found laying on the
| ground outside the shed, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
|
| Not the first time it has happened, may not be the last.
|
| Oh the joys of living in a den of thieves known as SoCal.

Happens everywhere. In Minnesota, they loaded my tools (including my
father's old toolbox and tools) into the back of my C-20, hot-wired
the truck, and drove off with the whole works.

| I have a Model 12 Winchester, and know how to use it, but the legal
| aggravation in this state for killing someone stealing your property
| far out weighs the satisfaction, so forget it.

I'm partial to my Colt Sporter-1; but your Model 12 loaded up with
deer slugs could provide the proper "attitude adjustment". The deputy
in Minnesota told me to be sure to drag 'em indoors before I called...

| Now that I've vented my spleen, some advice from the wreck.
|
| They got my 18VDC, DeWalt, 1/2" chuck drill that I have used and
| abused for almost 10 years.
|
| It doesn't owe me anything.
|
| I need a replacement, but will no longer be doing the heavy duty
| type work that has been done in the past.
|
| Staring into that crystal ball, what drill best meets the need.
|
| I like the 18V package based on past experience, but would consider
| another voltage.
|
| Bosch, Milwaukee, Panasonic, or even Porter-Cable.
|
| Not fond of Makita anymore, don't know anything about Hitachi.
|
| Await your comments.

I've been using an 18V 3/8" for the last three years. The level of use
has been "medium" and I've used it almost exclusively to push square
drive screws into SPF. Battery capacity and charge retention have been
nothing short of excellent. I paid about $40 at HF. Go figure.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar