Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Which 8-1/4" circular saw?

Has anyone done a comparison review of 8-1/4" circular saws? I've
looked for an article where they list all the various features and tell
how each brand did.

I want to find the lowest weight 8-1/4" circular saw with soft start,
brake, dust control, lowest noise, maximum depth of cut, easy blade
change, enough power to cut 2x hardwood (oak, maple, mahogany) without
burning up.

I'd prefer less than 15 amps required so I can use it with older house
wiring or a portable generator. Speed of cut is less important because
I'm already wasting time doing two cuts with a 7-1/4" saw (plus a lot
of planing and sanding) to get the job done. I'd save enough time with
an 8-1/4" saw to make up for a slower cut speed.

I know nothing's perfect. Obviously, a Wish list is just that. I'll buy
whatever meets the highest priority needs best.

If this were a gun, I'd look at Browning, if that helps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Milwaukee

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Why 8 1/4" ? I have two of the 7 1/4 SkillMAG77 and now the Bosch version.
All still work great.
They cut anything and everything I need them to cut. I have one of the
MAG77's just for cutting steel. I never had a situation where I wished I
had a larger saw. If I had to replace all of my saw today, I would get the
1677MD 7-1/4" - it too is 15AMP and uses it all if required.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

Why 8 1/4" ?

Guess I lead a sheltered life. I wasn't even aware that there were 8 1/4's
until this thread started. I have several Craftsman (I'm a Sears retiree)
high end 7 !/4 circular saws including the worm drive. Haven't run into
anything they wouldn't do yet. RM~

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

OP seems to have a depth of cut issue with the 7 1/4" saw... That extra
7/16" or so of depth over the 7 1/4" can make a lot of difference over the
course of a project when the materials are just a bit too thick!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:

Why 8 1/4" ? I have two of the 7 1/4 SkillMAG77 and now the Bosch version.
All still work great.

I have a depth of cut problem. I'm mounting the saw to a thick guide
rail. I can't cut a 2" board with a 7-1/4" blade on that rail. If I
use the smaller saw, I have to turn it over and cut the rest of the
thickness, then plane and sand to make it smooth. It's a lot more work.
I'd rather cut once.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

Teamcasa wrote:

Why 8 1/4" ? I have two of the 7 1/4 SkillMAG77 and now the Bosch
version.
All still work great.

I have a depth of cut problem. I'm mounting the saw to a thick guide
rail. I can't cut a 2" board with a 7-1/4" blade on that rail. If I
use the smaller saw, I have to turn it over and cut the rest of the
thickness, then plane and sand to make it smooth. It's a lot more work.
I'd rather cut once.

Can you use this? http://www.bigfoottools.com/bigTenInch.html

I have one and it really works good for cutting stacks of plywood.
Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
I saw the bigfoot. It's overkill. 8-1/4" is the right size.

Then get the Milwaukee - Its a good saw.
Dave

Teamcasa wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...