Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DW705 explosion

I was doing a 45/45 compound cut when out of nowhere the saw mangled
the piece I was working on and stopped with a grind. After I looked at
the damage to the piece (and doing a finger count), I also noticed the
saw blade had bent the rear blade guard, broken the vacuum attachment,
and ripped into the aluminum side frame of the saw itself. The force
had to have been tremendous. I put on a fresh blade and noticed that
it wobbled. I fear the shaft is also bent.

I took the saw today to the dewalt dealer and it is still under their 3
yr warrenty so I think I am covered.

Has this ever happend to anyone? There were no nails in the wood
(common ash), and didn't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary
in the cut. I have only had a CMS for a year and a half, and don't
consider myself an expert in it's usage so any advice is welcome.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

How big is/was your workpiece, and the cut-off? Sounds like something
got kicked up into the blade, but I've never had such a catastrophic
result. Glad you're okay! Tom
Todd the wood junkie wrote:
I was doing a 45/45 compound cut when out of nowhere the saw mangled
the piece I was working on and stopped with a grind. After I looked at
the damage to the piece (and doing a finger count), I also noticed the
saw blade had bent the rear blade guard, broken the vacuum attachment,
and ripped into the aluminum side frame of the saw itself. The force
had to have been tremendous. I put on a fresh blade and noticed that
it wobbled. I fear the shaft is also bent.

I took the saw today to the dewalt dealer and it is still under their 3
yr warrenty so I think I am covered.

Has this ever happend to anyone? There were no nails in the wood
(common ash), and didn't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary
in the cut. I have only had a CMS for a year and a half, and don't
consider myself an expert in it's usage so any advice is welcome.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
How big is/was your workpiece, and the cut-off? Sounds like something
got kicked up into the blade, but I've never had such a catastrophic
result. Glad you're okay!

The workpiece was approx a 1" x 2" x 24" leg to a stand. I held the
piece on the right side of the saw and came in from the left with the
blade. The cutoff was less than a half inch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Todd the wood junkie wrote:
tom wrote:
How big is/was your workpiece, and the cut-off? Sounds like something
got kicked up into the blade, but I've never had such a catastrophic
result. Glad you're okay!

The workpiece was approx a 1" x 2" x 24" leg to a stand. I held the
piece on the right side of the saw and came in from the left with the
blade. The cutoff was less than a half inch.

My guess is that the cutoff got swept up into the guard and blade
housing. I've had that happen with small pieces but it never mangled
the saw, just made a godawful racket.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote in message

I have only had a CMS for a year and a half, and don't
consider myself an expert in it's usage so any advice is welcome.

Only advice I have is to keep clean underwear handy. Glad you can still
count to ten.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

RicodJour wrote:
Todd the wood junkie wrote:
tom wrote:
How big is/was your workpiece, and the cut-off? Sounds like something
got kicked up into the blade, but I've never had such a catastrophic
result. Glad you're okay!

The workpiece was approx a 1" x 2" x 24" leg to a stand. I held the
piece on the right side of the saw and came in from the left with the
blade. The cutoff was less than a half inch.

My guess is that the cutoff got swept up into the guard and blade
housing. I've had that happen with small pieces but it never mangled
the saw, just made a godawful racket.

That would be my supposition as well--I'm thinking the vacuum system
was perhaps the culprit here. Possibly it had sufficient suction to
hold the small offcut piece up and carried it into the blade path?
I've never used the rear suction port, only a hood on the back of the
table so can't really judge for sure, but I'd worried about such events
being possible...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was doing a 45/45 compound cut when out of nowhere the saw mangled
the piece I was working on and stopped with a grind. After I looked at
the damage to the piece (and doing a finger count), I also noticed the
saw blade had bent the rear blade guard, broken the vacuum attachment,
and ripped into the aluminum side frame of the saw itself. The force
had to have been tremendous. I put on a fresh blade and noticed that
it wobbled. I fear the shaft is also bent.

I took the saw today to the dewalt dealer and it is still under their 3
yr warrenty so I think I am covered.

Has this ever happend to anyone? There were no nails in the wood
(common ash), and didn't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary
in the cut. I have only had a CMS for a year and a half, and don't
consider myself an expert in it's usage so any advice is welcome.

whew... Like others have stated, if the waste piece is not where it should
be after the cut, it probably flew up and did the damage. The smaller the
waste the more likely it will move around after the cut is complete. When
the waste piece is situated between the blade and fence, the acute angle
side of the set up, a kick back type situation is more likely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

[...]

It sounds like a perfect situation for a clamp. And if that is not
possible, stand clear of the potential projectile. He should be grateful
that this little peice just damaged his saw. It could have been much worse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It's pretty hard to clamp a piece that's only a half-inch long, especially
with a compound cut... Trying to rig up some sort of zero clearance back
and side base for the saw might be productive, though. But I probably
wouldn't have thought about it till reading this thread.

Just my $0.02.

Clint

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Clint wrote:
It's pretty hard to clamp a piece that's only a half-inch long, especially
with a compound cut... Trying to rig up some sort of zero clearance back
and side base for the saw might be productive, though. But I probably
wouldn't have thought about it till reading this thread.

IThere really should be some sort of mechanism to block entry into the
blade housing. I get pieces up there more than I would prefer. No
injury or damage so far (fingers firmly crossed).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Clint" wrote in message
It's pretty hard to clamp a piece that's only a half-inch long, especially
with a compound cut... Trying to rig up some sort of zero clearance back
and side base for the saw might be productive, though. But I probably
wouldn't have thought about it till reading this thread.

Just my $0.02.

Nothing keeps those small pieces from flying around like making a partial
cut with the SCSM, then finishing up the cut with a handsaw ... the Japanese
saws work real well for this.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/13/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 15 Aug 2006 06:45:44 -0700, "Todd the wood junkie"
wrote:

I was doing a 45/45 compound cut when out of nowhere the saw mangled
the piece I was working on and stopped with a grind. After I looked at
the damage to the piece (and doing a finger count), I also noticed the
saw blade had bent the rear blade guard, broken the vacuum attachment,
and ripped into the aluminum side frame of the saw itself. The force
had to have been tremendous. I put on a fresh blade and noticed that
it wobbled. I fear the shaft is also bent.

I took the saw today to the dewalt dealer and it is still under their 3
yr warrenty so I think I am covered.

Has this ever happend to anyone? There were no nails in the wood
(common ash), and didn't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary
in the cut. I have only had a CMS for a year and a half, and don't
consider myself an expert in it's usage so any advice is welcome.

When a cutoff is small it can be thrown anywhere and faster than a
blink of an eye. I suspect the cutoff jammed the blade--yes this has
happened to me. Another reason to be certain your stock is firmly in
place, your hands are a safe distance from the blade, safety glasses
are worn, and the operator is in sound mind with safety first. Glad
you were not hurt!
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
Clint wrote:
It's pretty hard to clamp a piece that's only a half-inch long, especially
with a compound cut... Trying to rig up some sort of zero clearance back
and side base for the saw might be productive, though. But I probably
wouldn't have thought about it till reading this thread.

IThere really should be some sort of mechanism to block entry into the
blade housing. I get pieces up there more than I would prefer. No
injury or damage so far (fingers firmly crossed).

I saw a tip in one of the WWing mags a while back that had you push a
thumbtack through one end of a rubber band into the scrap to be. Make
sure the point of the tack will not be hit by the blade. Tack the other
end of the rubber band about 1 1/2 times it's length from the scrap to
the fence. this keeps it from bouncing back into the blade. Haven't
tried it though.
Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Todd the wood junkie" wrote in message

snip

Has this ever happend to anyone? There were no nails in the wood
(common ash), and didn't think I was doing anything out of the ordinary
in the cut. I have only had a CMS for a year and a half, and don't
consider myself an expert in it's usage so any advice is welcome.

Todd,

Has happened to me - and on my list is a zero clearance sacrificial
fence for my SCMS to stop this very thing, little bit gets twisted on
withdrawal of blang and "kaching.........."

Regards
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...

Todd the wood junkie wrote:
tom wrote:
How big is/was your workpiece, and the cut-off? Sounds like something
got kicked up into the blade, but I've never had such a catastrophic
result. Glad you're okay!

The workpiece was approx a 1" x 2" x 24" leg to a stand. I held the
piece on the right side of the saw and came in from the left with the
blade. The cutoff was less than a half inch.

My guess is that the cutoff got swept up into the guard and blade
housing. I've had that happen with small pieces but it never mangled
the saw, just made a godawful racket.

I'd go along with that too. I had a similar thing happen on my Delta CMS. It
destroyed the blade guard and jammed the saw up. In my case I traced the
problem to blade with positive rake on the teeth. With negative and zero
rake blades I've never had a problem.

John