Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool You Just Love To Use

Andrew Barss wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

: Tom Banes wrote:
: Different question. What tool do you just like to use? Be it a kick,
: or a zen experience, it's the one you just look for an excuse to grab.

: I get a kick out of taking a Pro Prep scraper to a newly glued up
: panel.

Is this a handled scraper?

-- Andy Barss

Looks like it
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11211
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Prometheus wrote:
Stationary Belt sander. Didn't think I'd use it that much, but it
turns out I use it almost as much as the table saw. Kinda makes me
want to invest in a full sized stroke sander and an edge sander one of
these days. Could do without the disc, though- I've had the thing for
two or three years, and haven't used the disc sander more than a dozen
times, and it just gets in the way.

Works great for presanding parts, and smoothing out rough curves from
the bandsaw. Cleans up imperfectly aligned miters like a champ, too.

Bingo - my choice as well, although I use both disc and belt about
equally. The disc is soooooooooo much easier and more accurate than
any saw I've ever had for mitres. And, as you say, pre-sanding with
the belt is a snap.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message
Andrew Barss wrote:
Jay Pique wrote:

: Tom Banes wrote:
: Different question. What tool do you just like to use? Be it a kick,
: or a zen experience, it's the one you just look for an excuse to grab.

: I get a kick out of taking a Pro Prep scraper to a newly glued up
: panel.

Is this a handled scraper?

-- Andy Barss

Looks like it
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11211
Joe

Scrapers are cool...

Don't quite get how you can peel off the finish, and keep the patina
though.....

One of my favs is the Sandvik scraper (carbide)...

Posted to rec.woodworking

: Tom Banes wrote:
: Different question. What tool do you just like to use? Be it a kick,
: or a zen experience, it's the one you just look for an excuse to grab.

Japanese saws - dozuki mainly - more
zen moments per use than
any other tool.

Tite-Mark marking tool. Well thought
out precision marking tool.

Steve Knight marking knives (left,
right and double bevel) - feel
nice in hand and produce inscribed
lines were you want it

A lathe and a skew with a curved
cutting edge - instant gratification

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

Tim Taylor wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Different question. What tool do you just like to use? Be it a kick,
or a zen experience, it's the one you just look for an excuse to grab."
Tom

I can't explain why but I love the sound of my Ridgid Jointer. It has
the most quietly balanced hum of any power tool I've used since a 25
year old Powermatic Table saw long gone. Since the little jointer only
cost $350 I was shocked upon turning it on the first time. Sometimes I
turn it on just to listen. I was expecting a rough beast and found
excellence.

That would be the 6 1/8" job? Have you ever had to replace your blades yet?

Gee, you would have to knock me back to reality. No, I have not had to
replace the blades yet....but have purchased a Jointer Pal (?) system
with magnets that are supposed to hold the blades at the outfeed height
for setting. Not looking foreward to changing them. Do you have any
tips/experience with the blades you want to share? If all fails I will
just push the machine into the corner and just listen to it every once
in a while.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tim Taylor wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Well actually I replaced mine a couple weeks ago. The little jig that was
included when I bought the animal worked out fine. It would have been easier
with a third hand though. I did use a real wrench, the one supplied I threw
away when I got it out of the box. If, no, WHEN, I have to replace them
again, I'm going to figure out a way to put a magnet or duct tape or
something on the jig to hold it to the cutter head. Other than that, they
wasn't bad. And I'm like you, it's like a good old perfectly tuned Mustang,
just sounds good. Let me know when and if you use your Jointer Pal. If it
does a decent job, I'll get me one.