Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Taylor Tim Taylor is offline

Default Tool You Just Love To Use

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tim Taylor wrote:
"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Different question. What tool do you just like to use? Be it a kick,
or a zen experience, it's the one you just look for an excuse to
grab."
Tom
I can't explain why but I love the sound of my Ridgid Jointer. It has
the most quietly balanced hum of any power tool I've used since a 25
year old Powermatic Table saw long gone. Since the little jointer only
cost $350 I was shocked upon turning it on the first time. Sometimes I
turn it on just to listen. I was expecting a rough beast and found
excellence.

That would be the 6 1/8" job? Have you ever had to replace your blades
yet?

Gee, you would have to knock me back to reality. No, I have not had to
replace the blades yet....but have purchased a Jointer Pal (?) system
with magnets that are supposed to hold the blades at the outfeed height
for setting. Not looking foreward to changing them. Do you have any
tips/experience with the blades you want to share? If all fails I will
just push the machine into the corner and just listen to it every once
in a while.

Well actually I replaced mine a couple weeks ago. The little jig that was
included when I bought the animal worked out fine. It would have been easier
with a third hand though. I did use a real wrench, the one supplied I threw
away when I got it out of the box. If, no, WHEN, I have to replace them
again, I'm going to figure out a way to put a magnet or duct tape or
something on the jig to hold it to the cutter head. Other than that, they
wasn't bad. And I'm like you, it's like a good old perfectly tuned Mustang,
just sounds good. Let me know when and if you use your Jointer Pal. If it
does a decent job, I'll get me one.