Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router bit advice

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...288009?ie=UTF8

Will these be ok for a weekend warrior?

Looks like HF has a same package for twice as much, twice as good?

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Have you read the reviews on Amazon? Not too encouraging. Still,
they're cheap, so what have you got to lose? How'd that old saw go:
"Cry a thousand times"? Tom
Locutus wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...288009?ie=UTF8

Will these be ok for a weekend warrior?

Looks like HF has a same package for twice as much, twice as good?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Locutus" wrote in message
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...288009?ie=UTF8

Will these be ok for a weekend warrior?

Looks like HF has a same package for twice as much, twice as good?

Normally you get what you pay for however this looks like a pretty good
deal. Typically a single good quality bit can cost that much. FWIW I
bought 2 flush cut bearing piloted bits at the local WW show for about
$11.00 and have not been disappointed at all. IIRC Home Depot sells this
brand also.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I agree. Go with the MLCS bits. Even for a weekend warrior, you'll
find those other bits will degrade after a single use.

Jack

Andy wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...288009?ie=UTF8

Will these be ok for a weekend warrior?

Looks like HF has a same package for twice as much, twice as good?

Sure, they'll work. A friend of mine has a set comparable to those,
and they are OK. But for a little more money, a set of bits from MLCS
should give a step up in performance. And get 1/2" shanks if your
router will accept them.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...et15piece.html
This is the set I started with, and they've definitely been more than
adequate. Cutting quality is great, but they don't last as long as
nicer bits. Their customer service is excellent. After you wear out a
few bits and figure out which ones you use most, Infinitytools.com is a
reasonably-priced source for very good bits - several steps above MLCS
in quality. In my experience, Infinity is on par with, but not as
expensive as some of the other high-end name brands. Their customer
service is excellent also.
And no, I doubt very much the HF would be twice as good as "Hickory".
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the advice, I will go with the MLCS Bits.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...288009?ie=UTF8

Will these be ok for a weekend warrior?

Looks like HF has a same package for twice as much, twice as good?

I'd consider myself a weekend warrior. I have a table saw, circular
saw, some clamps and a router. I find the cheaper tools and
accessories are a good way to get started and see if I will really use
them. I work in plywood and pine and dimensional lumber, and
occasionally I'll buy Red Oak for something special. I have learned
alot of things about WW over the years and don't regret any of it. I
can really appreciate good tools and materials now when I buy them. My
cheap tools produce good work, because I don't expect too much of them.
When I want showpiece quality, and am ready to invest the time, effort
and expense, I'll know what I'm doing.

James

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline