Posted to rec.woodworking
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net is offline

Default Router bit advice

I agree. Go with the MLCS bits. Even for a weekend warrior, you'll
find those other bits will degrade after a single use.

Jack

Andy wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...288009?ie=UTF8

Will these be ok for a weekend warrior?

Looks like HF has a same package for twice as much, twice as good?

Sure, they'll work. A friend of mine has a set comparable to those,
and they are OK. But for a little more money, a set of bits from MLCS
should give a step up in performance. And get 1/2" shanks if your
router will accept them.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...et15piece.html
This is the set I started with, and they've definitely been more than
adequate. Cutting quality is great, but they don't last as long as
nicer bits. Their customer service is excellent. After you wear out a
few bits and figure out which ones you use most, Infinitytools.com is a
reasonably-priced source for very good bits - several steps above MLCS
in quality. In my experience, Infinity is on par with, but not as
expensive as some of the other high-end name brands. Their customer
service is excellent also.
And no, I doubt very much the HF would be twice as good as "Hickory".
Good luck,
Andy