Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Roundovers on edges greater than or less than 90 degrees.

I'm working on a project that uses two boards that are joined at a 45
degree angle and would like the corner created to be rounded. (I'm
interested to know how to do this for any angle other than 90 degrees)
Other than using sandpaper, is there a precise way to use any type of
router bit for this. I have over 100 router bits and none of them will
achieve this for me. Most bearing guided bits are geared for a 90
degree edge prior to routing. The graphic below shows the before
(left) and after (right) of what I'm trying to solve. I've been
woodworking for over 10 years and have made countless items, but
haven't been stumped like this before.

Any help?

http://schmitz.gotdns.com/wood/radiusfillet2.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chad Schmitz wrote:
I'm working on a project that uses two boards that are joined at a
45 degree angle and would like the corner created to be rounded.
(I'm interested to know how to do this for any angle other than 90
degrees) Other than using sandpaper, is there a precise way to use
any type of router bit for this. I have over 100 router bits and
none of them will achieve this for me. Most bearing guided bits
are geared for a 90 degree edge prior to routing. The graphic
below shows the before (left) and after (right) of what I'm trying
to solve. I've been woodworking for over 10 years and have made
countless items, but haven't been stumped like this before.

Any help?

Assuming you have enough of them to do to make the fussing around
worthwhile...

1. Use a *big* finger nail bit

2. Make an angled platform for your router table so that the work will
be at the proper angle to the bit

3. Use just the a portion of the bit center to do the cutting.

The problem is going to be getting the bit out far enough to reach the
joint...that depends on how wide the pieces are and how close the
router is to the table edge. It might work better to make an angled
shoe for the router base rather than use it in a table.

I'd just whack it off with a plane...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

The router has its limitations and this is one of them.
There are no cutters for this. You can however, with semi-sophisticated
fixturing, rout 1/2 the profile on each 1/2 of the joint before
assembly. Then sand to suit after the fact.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)
Chad Schmitz wrote:
I'm working on a project that uses two boards that are joined at a 45
degree angle and would like the corner created to be rounded. (I'm
interested to know how to do this for any angle other than 90 degrees)
Other than using sandpaper, is there a precise way to use any type of
router bit for this. I have over 100 router bits and none of them will
achieve this for me. Most bearing guided bits are geared for a 90
degree edge prior to routing. The graphic below shows the before
(left) and after (right) of what I'm trying to solve. I've been
woodworking for over 10 years and have made countless items, but
haven't been stumped like this before.

Any help?

http://schmitz.gotdns.com/wood/radiusfillet2.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chad Schmitz skrev:
I'm working on a project that uses two boards that are joined at a 45
degree angle and would like the corner created to be rounded. (I'm
interested to know how to do this for any angle other than 90 degrees)
Other than using sandpaper, is there a precise way to use any type of
router bit for this. I have over 100 router bits and none of them will
achieve this for me. Most bearing guided bits are geared for a 90
degree edge prior to routing. The graphic below shows the before
(left) and after (right) of what I'm trying to solve. I've been
woodworking for over 10 years and have made countless items, but
haven't been stumped like this before.

An old molding plane (hollow) might be a good option:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze...ollow.html#set

Easy to find on eBay...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Would a modified spokeshave work?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pertaining to #3....

On acute angles, I agree with you, but for obtuse angles (like in the
graphic I included) the bit has 90 degrees of sweep, which on a 45
degree joint would create a beaded look on one side of the edge.

dadiOH wrote:
Chad Schmitz wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Cheater corners"

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...BDB&filter=mdf
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...GG DADADADBDB
Chad Schmitz wrote:

I'm working on a project that uses two boards that are joined at a 45
degree angle and would like the corner created to be rounded. (I'm
interested to know how to do this for any angle other than 90 degrees)
Other than using sandpaper, is there a precise way to use any type of
router bit for this. I have over 100 router bits and none of them will
achieve this for me. Most bearing guided bits are geared for a 90
degree edge prior to routing. The graphic below shows the before
(left) and after (right) of what I'm trying to solve. I've been
woodworking for over 10 years and have made countless items, but
haven't been stumped like this before.

Any help?

http://schmitz.gotdns.com/wood/radiusfillet2.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

That's why you need a big bit - a *really* big bit...so the joint area
being cut can reach into the bit without the outer portions of the bit
cutting. That's also why the angled platform is needed...so the plane
of the joint can be perpendicular to the bit.

dadiOH
_____________

dadiOH wrote:
Chad Schmitz wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 Aug 2006 04:24:43 -0700, "Chad Schmitz"
wrote:

I'm working on a project that uses two boards that are joined at a 45
degree angle and would like the corner created to be rounded. (I'm
interested to know how to do this for any angle other than 90 degrees)
Other than using sandpaper, is there a precise way to use any type of
router bit for this. I have over 100 router bits and none of them will
achieve this for me. Most bearing guided bits are geared for a 90
degree edge prior to routing. The graphic below shows the before
(left) and after (right) of what I'm trying to solve. I've been
woodworking for over 10 years and have made countless items, but
haven't been stumped like this before.

Any help?

http://schmitz.gotdns.com/wood/radiusfillet2.jpg

"The arris at any degree other than ninety, its half, or quarter,
depends on craftsmanship in its execution on replication that is
usually beyond those who ask of it."

Joe Bob Donovan

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat has it right as far as he goes. The trick is postioning the fence
right on a router table with a round over. Do the math this way: A
roundover bit is a quarter of a circle, so four roundovers will
collectively complete a circle, which is what you see when you have
rounded over all four corners of a square. If you were to route each
1/2 of the joint of a square before putting it together, then the two
halves would each use 1/2 of a roundover as measured along the cutting
surface of the roundover. Since you are making an octogon, each 1/2 of
the joint would use 1/4 of the length of the roundover as measured
along the cutting surface.

This is really a problem in trigonometry [sin(22.5 degrees)] which
gives a numerical result of 0.3826... Which means that you position the
fence so that 38.26% of the linear measure of the roundover will be
used for the cut. This will work with any size roundover.
I cannot position my fence that precisely, but you get the idea.

Jack

Chad Schmitz wrote:
I'm working on a project that uses two boards that are joined at a 45
degree angle and would like the corner created to be rounded. (I'm
interested to know how to do this for any angle other than 90 degrees)
Other than using sandpaper, is there a precise way to use any type of
router bit for this. I have over 100 router bits and none of them will
achieve this for me. Most bearing guided bits are geared for a 90
degree edge prior to routing. The graphic below shows the before
(left) and after (right) of what I'm trying to solve. I've been
woodworking for over 10 years and have made countless items, but
haven't been stumped like this before.

Any help?

http://schmitz.gotdns.com/wood/radiusfillet2.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

I forgot to say that you will need to make multiple passes. The miter
holds the wood away from the fence. Two passes may not be enough, so
experiment with some scrap.

Jack