Porky

Default How to seal the edges of a Fiberglass Shower Stall?

Hi
I've got the new glass stall, 36" X 36", and it has a flange about 1"
wide around the top edge and down the front edges, and the normal way
of installation is to mount the thing against the stud wall, then bring
the drywall over the edge all around. I'm wondering if I can mount the
stall against the existing drywall and then tape and plaster over the
edges? I know this will take some creative plastering, but replacing
the whole B-room wall is out of my realm at the moment. Would a
moulding strip be a better idea?
A new studwall will be built against the opposite side of the stall.
I've got to drywall around the corners and then over the shower edge.
Can I use a metal corner strip to overlap the fiberglas edge?

JohnK

Kyle Boatright

"Porky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi
I've got the new glass stall, 36" X 36", and it has a flange about 1"
wide around the top edge and down the front edges, and the normal way
of installation is to mount the thing against the stud wall, then bring
the drywall over the edge all around. I'm wondering if I can mount the
stall against the existing drywall and then tape and plaster over the
edges? I know this will take some creative plastering, but replacing
the whole B-room wall is out of my realm at the moment. Would a
moulding strip be a better idea?
A new studwall will be built against the opposite side of the stall.
I've got to drywall around the corners and then over the shower edge.
Can I use a metal corner strip to overlap the fiberglas edge?

JohnK

Why don't you pull the drywall down where the shower stall fits. In fact,
pull it down all the way to the next stud outside the shower. Fit the
stall, then install and mud strips of drywall up to the stall.

I think it'll be less work than what you describe, which sounds like
something you'll have to fiddle with forever to get it right.

KB