Posted to rec.woodworking
Chad Schmitz Chad Schmitz is offline

Default Roundovers on edges greater than or less than 90 degrees.

Pertaining to #3....

On acute angles, I agree with you, but for obtuse angles (like in the
graphic I included) the bit has 90 degrees of sweep, which on a 45
degree joint would create a beaded look on one side of the edge.

dadiOH wrote:
Chad Schmitz wrote:
I'm working on a project that uses two boards that are joined at a
45 degree angle and would like the corner created to be rounded.
(I'm interested to know how to do this for any angle other than 90
degrees) Other than using sandpaper, is there a precise way to use
any type of router bit for this. I have over 100 router bits and
none of them will achieve this for me. Most bearing guided bits
are geared for a 90 degree edge prior to routing. The graphic
below shows the before (left) and after (right) of what I'm trying
to solve. I've been woodworking for over 10 years and have made
countless items, but haven't been stumped like this before.

Any help?

Assuming you have enough of them to do to make the fussing around
worthwhile...

1. Use a *big* finger nail bit

2. Make an angled platform for your router table so that the work will
be at the proper angle to the bit

3. Use just the a portion of the bit center to do the cutting.

The problem is going to be getting the bit out far enough to reach the
joint...that depends on how wide the pieces are and how close the
router is to the table edge. It might work better to make an angled
shoe for the router base rather than use it in a table.

I'd just whack it off with a plane...

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...