Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shopmade mobile base pictures

Does anyone have pictures or know a site, that has some pictures of
shopmade mobile base ideas?
I remember seeing pictures somewhere of a base that had a flip down
panel with casters on it.
On my old Delta band saw, with an open base, I kust bolted locking
casters on to the bottom of the legs, and it works great. 90% of the
time, I don't even lock the casters.
I need to make a base for my 6" jointer and want it to sit solid on the
floor when using.
Thanks for any help,
Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sailor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have pictures or know a site, that has some pictures of
shopmade mobile base ideas?
I remember seeing pictures somewhere of a base that had a flip down
panel with casters on it.
On my old Delta band saw, with an open base, I kust bolted locking
casters on to the bottom of the legs, and it works great. 90% of the
time, I don't even lock the casters.
I need to make a base for my 6" jointer and want it to sit solid on the
floor when using.
Thanks for any help,
Cliff

Try this link and do a search. They had one a couple weeks ago.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2006/07/28/wb/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sailor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have pictures or know a site, that has some pictures of
shopmade mobile base ideas?
I remember seeing pictures somewhere of a base that had a flip down
panel with casters on it.
On my old Delta band saw, with an open base, I kust bolted locking
casters on to the bottom of the legs, and it works great. 90% of the
time, I don't even lock the casters.
I need to make a base for my 6" jointer and want it to sit solid on the
floor when using.
Thanks for any help,
Cliff

Take a look at how Laguna and Minimax have set their tools up for mobility.
Specifically Laguna BandSaws use a rectangular box shaped base that is about
2" tall to mount the tool on. They drill 2 holes to run an axel through and
on the opposite end you use a Johnson bar to lift and steer the equipment.
I have a 450lb Laguna band saw that always sets on 2 wheels and is moved by
using the Johnson bar. It is very stable and moves easily. I plan to add 2
wheels to my jointer and use the Laguna Johnson bar to move the jointer.

Look here
http://www.lagunatools.com/index.asp...ProdID=45&HS=1

and
http://www.lagunatools.com/index.asp...ProdID=44&HS=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"sailor" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the Links. I move my boat trailer with the same idea. I
don't think I have room to use that idea. My shop is VERY small. I
have a a 22" x 32" table on casters, that has my Crapsman router table,
and Rigid spindle sander on top, and my Powermatic, portable planner on
the bottom. For more that a few cuts, I move it to the workbench.Oh, my
back!

Thanks again

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sailor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have pictures or know a site, that has some pictures of
shopmade mobile base ideas?
I remember seeing pictures somewhere of a base that had a flip down
panel with casters on it.
On my old Delta band saw, with an open base, I kust bolted locking
casters on to the bottom of the legs, and it works great. 90% of the
time, I don't even lock the casters.
I need to make a base for my 6" jointer and want it to sit solid on the
floor when using.
Thanks for any help,
Cliff

Cliff, If you can weld (or know someone who does), see the link below.
http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/metalworking.htm

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"sailor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have pictures or know a site, that has some pictures of
shopmade mobile base ideas?
I remember seeing pictures somewhere of a base that had a flip down
panel with casters on it.
On my old Delta band saw, with an open base, I kust bolted locking
casters on to the bottom of the legs, and it works great. 90% of the
time, I don't even lock the casters.
I need to make a base for my 6" jointer and want it to sit solid on the
floor when using.
Thanks for any help,
Cliff

CLIFF
I HAVE A SMALL OVER STUFFED SHOP. I HAVE AND OLD, OLD PRYOR 6" JOINTER WITH
A 5' BED.
I HAVE IS MOUNTED ON A WOOD STAND. I ATTACHED 4" DIA. WHEELS TO THE FRONT.
CUT OFF 1/2 INCN OF THE FROND LEGS ATTACHED 2 PIPES ALONG THE SIDES THAT
EXTEND APX 18" . WHEN I NEED TO MOVE IT I WHEELBARROW IT. ITS BEEN THIS
WAY FOR 17 YEARS AND NO PROBLEMS. THE JOINTER WEIGHT IS AROUND 250 LBS SO
STABILITY ISN'T A PROBLEM
GOOD LUCK

JOE M

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Mohnike wrote:
"sailor" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for all the replys. I think I will try the pipe/wheelbarrow
idea. Might attach pipes on the sides, and slide smaller pipes inside,
so they slide out for transport.
Thanks again, Cliff

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sailor" wrote

Thanks for all the replys. I think I will try the pipe/wheelbarrow
idea. Might attach pipes on the sides, and slide smaller pipes inside,
so they slide out for transport.
Thanks again, Cliff

You might also consider using some square tubing to mount on the sides. Some
sizes of pipe just go into two inch tubing. This has worked for me on a
couple applicatons.

Whatever works or is available locally. You just want a good fit. Not a lot
of slop.

If you can get it cheap enough, maybe some one inch round stock and some
inch and a quarter square tubing. I have used this combo often when
building gym equipment. One advantage of the one inch round stock is that
you can get rubber handgrips for them. There are many sources for them
including bicycle shops. The foam/rubber handgrips make it a lot easier to
grab the bar.