Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Default Shop Fox Mobile base levelers

I have a Shop Fox mobile base, the one rated at
1200 pounds (their "super heavy duty" one). I've
misplaced/lost the two leveler feet (threaded rods,
rubber caps on one end, handles on the other).
Grizzly wants $44 the pair, and I was wondering if
someone who had the base could tell me the diameter,
thread pitch, and length of these things so I can
make up a pair of my own.

Thanks --

Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I have a Shop Fox mobile base, the one rated at
1200 pounds (their "super heavy duty" one). I've
misplaced/lost the two leveler feet (threaded rods,
rubber caps on one end, handles on the other).
Grizzly wants $44 the pair, and I was wondering if
someone who had the base could tell me the diameter,
thread pitch, and length of these things so I can
make up a pair of my own.

Whenever I have a problem like this, I just take the part to my local
industrial fastener house. They are experts on matching things. Anything
that has ever had a thread, they matched it for me. Even some exotic, metric
(brass) candleholders found some mounting bolts through my laminated candle
base.

Then I buy the part and go use it or modify it so it can be used. This
methodolgy has served me well for over thirty years.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Lee Michaels wrote:

: "Andrew Barss" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
[...]

Unfortunately, the bracket into which this rod goes is on the
mobile base, which has a 450 pound lathe sitting on top of it!

In general I follow your advice, but it would be a major hassle to
take everything apart.

-- Andy
Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message

I have a Shop Fox mobile base, the one rated at
1200 pounds (their "super heavy duty" one). I've
misplaced/lost the two leveler feet (threaded rods,
rubber caps on one end, handles on the other).
Grizzly wants $44 the pair, and I was wondering if
someone who had the base could tell me the diameter,
thread pitch, and length of these things so I can
make up a pair of my own.

Thanks --

Andy Barss

Andy - I think its metric. i do not have any metric dies to confim. It
started through my 1/2" sae die but would not thread completely. Not sure
off the tim of my head the closest metric to 1/2" but that should be it.

It also has a smaller end that is not threaded.

Looks like this

knob1.5"metric thread7/8" long x ~23/64 smooth shaft. I'll try to e-mail
you a pic