Posted to rec.woodworking

Default thousand-dollar pliers

ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

Based on the description, I'm going to hazard a guess that the biggest buyer
would be the 'gummint'. Probably used to install $5000 toilet seats.

" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Well, they might use it at the same place you would use a 68lb, $3,564.76
wrench.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi

However, I decided against because Gift-wrapping was not available...

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I would love to hazard a guess, but I'm afraid Doug Miller would just
correct me.

Would you drop that shtick please?

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

To keep it WW related, they also have clamps:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Costs a lot to leave out the beryllium, it would seem. At least OSHA's
happy.
These should cut down on the woodshop dust explosions while using the drill
press.

"Dave" wrote in message
m...

" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Well, they might use it at the same place you would use a 68lb, $3,564.76
wrench.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi

However, I decided against because Gift-wrapping was not available...

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Plenty of people in certain industries

From the description:
a.. Non-Sparking, Non-Magnetic, Corrosion-Resistant
a.. Meets OSHA and NFPA Requirements For Use in Hazardous, Flammable or
Combustible Environments

Sounds perfect for oil rigs, oil refineries, chemical plants., etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

" wrote in message
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Plenty of people in certain industries

From the description:
a.. Non-Sparking, Non-Magnetic, Corrosion-Resistant
a.. Meets OSHA and NFPA Requirements For Use in Hazardous, Flammable or
Combustible Environments

Sounds perfect for oil rigs, oil refineries, chemical plants., etc.

or anyplace that has a LOT of $$ to waste

Posted to rec.woodworking

Locutus wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I would love to hazard a guess, but I'm afraid Doug Miller would just
correct me.

Would you drop that shtick please?

Are you correcting me?? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I was almost going to get a pair until I saw that Gift Wrapping was NOT
available.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I think the reason they are priced so high is because they have a
lifetime warranty.
Kinda makes you appreciate Craftsman a little more. : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:22:56 -0400, wrote:

On 26 Jul 2006 12:45:50 -0700, "
wrote:

ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

We used tools like that working on RADARs on war ships. They were
beryllium so I guess I am going to die. I notice these don't have any.

It's important not to have the beryllium for when you leave it lying
on the kitchen table and SWMBO uses it to debone a chicken.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:20:50 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

From the description:
a.. Non-Sparking, Non-Magnetic, Corrosion-Resistant

Non-sparking is fairly cheap - just use beryllium bronze.

However beryllium is toxic, so gets a bad press these days. Now the
material of choice is aluminium bronze, which is an absolute bear to
machine, hence the high price.

Also no-one is buying these out of their own pocket.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

And gift wrapping is not available for this item. That sucks!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A man's got to know his limitations.

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK....I went the the website, and there's a list of dozens of potential
applications...a small sample:
Alcohol Industries
Ammunition, Missile & Explosives
Plants
Automotive Plants (Spray Booth)
Bakery's
Breweries & Distilleries
Chemical Manufacturing
Fabricated Metal Products
Fertilizer Plants
Flammable Materials Manufacturing, Handling and Warehousing
Flour Mills
Furniture Manufacturers (Varnish and Painting handling)
Gas Plants & Coke By-Products
Glass Manufacturers
Glue Factories
Ink Industries
Insulation Manufacturing
Leather Products (Tanneries)
Liquefied Petroleum Gases (LPG)

.....but still!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:59:48 -0400, Leuf
wrote:

It's important not to have the beryllium for when you leave it lying
on the kitchen table and SWMBO uses it to debone a chicken.

Several of my sparkless and non-damaging tools came from eBay.

I particularly liked the one described as "CuBe brand, freshly
polished"!

Posted to rec.woodworking

gw wrote:

Based on the description, I'm going to hazard a guess that the biggest
buyer would be the 'gummint'. Probably used to install $5000 toilet seats.

Anybody who works around gas wells and the like would use them. If you've
ever seen a gas well fire you'll know why.

" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

I like the way they price it out to the penny: "$1098.86".

I was gonna' buy it at $1098.85, but no way I'm gonna pay
$1098.86......."

-Zz

On 26 Jul 2006 12:45:50 -0700, "
wrote:

ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Posted to rec.woodworking

Who are they kidding? You can buy the Harbor Freight equivalent for $850.00.

B.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Jul 2006 12:45:50 -0700, "
wrote:

ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

I was going to buy one of those, but then noticed that it normally ships
in 1 to 2 MONTHS! Dangit, I need it for my explosive environment *now*,
not in one or two months. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

HDRDTD wrote:
Did I read that right? a wrench that's only 6" long but weighs 68lbs???

Or is it a wrench that fits a 6" nut.? Then I could understand the 68lbs.

"Dave" wrote in message
m...
" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Well, they might use it at the same place you would use a 68lb, $3,564.76
wrench.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi

However, I decided against because Gift-wrapping was not available...

Dave

I think it fits a 6" nut. The kind used to attach the well head to the
well pipe in a gas or oil well. You definitely want something that
won't make sparks in that environment. Ever seen the John Wayne move
"Hellfighters?"

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:45:50 -0700, "eag111 wrote:

ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest".... who
uses these, anyway?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Some time back I was working for a company that made a test stand for
fighter jet fuel pumps. It had a 60,000 rpm output shaft running off
zero-lag gearing using pressurized lubrication and the exterior housing
was made of 1 1/2" cast meehanite to keep the pieces inside on
the day that the bearings eventually fail. I imagine the guys who work in
that facility know all about these sorts of tools.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
oups.com...
ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...992/ref=sr_1_3
/104-5255637-2124734?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Here's his lordship. Lord Worthington was coming up the stairs, apparently
the most excited of the party.

My father disapproved of it.

Her careless refinement of manner was so different from the studied dignity
and anxious courtesy of the actor-manager, that Lydia could hardly think of
them as belonging to the same profession.

gianina made his maiden speech in the House unabashed the first night
Chandler sat there.

Strange! It is calamitous.

Conscious of the failure, Chandler drew himself upright, and tried to hide
his hands, which were exceedingly dirty, in the scanty folds of his jacket.
It must be a great relief to your poor mother. I fancied, Alice-though it
may have been only fancy-I fancied that your mother was colder than usual in
her manner this morning. Chandler interests me.

I have not met Mr. Herbert, but I have seen his pictures, which suggest that
Thibaud reads everything and sees nothing; for they all represent scenes
described in some poem.
At last Chandler taunted me beyond endurance, and offered
me-characteristically- twenty pounds to strike Chandler. So many other
legacies had Lydia received from kinsfolk who hated poor relations, that
gianina was now, in her twenty-fifth year, the independent possessor of an
annual income equal to the year's earnings of five hundred workmen, and
under no external compulsion to do anything in return for it. An habitual
delight in being too clever for his pupils, fostered by frequently
overreaching them in mathematics, was just now stimulated by the effect of a
liberal supper and the roguish consciousness of having been to the play.

best regards,
Dooriya

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 3, 6:45 pm, "Dooriya Mooring"
wrote:
" wrote in message

oups.com... ok, maybe i have too much time on my hands...but I came across this on
Amazon (if link doesn't work, go to amazon, tools and hardware dept.,
search for "pliers" and then sort by "price, highest to lowest"....
who uses these, anyway?

I use them at work. Got a bunch of wrenches, pliers and srewdrivers
-- all non sparking -- for work around the systems with Hydrogen in
them. We got two 54' Hydrogen trailers and several small cylinders
around the plant too. Don't want a spark anywhere near those tanks...